Author Topic: No sound in Avast IS 6.0.1203  (Read 8551 times)

Spulci

No sound in Avast IS 6.0.1203
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
Hi,

sound suddenly disappeared from Avast IS 6.0.1203 on Vista Sp2 x64 on my machine. I tried a "reapair" install but the issue has been not fixed by. I double checked that "enable sound" option is correctly checked in the option panel as well as all sound related items.
I do not upgrade sound drivers for my ADI integrated chipset since months. Other sounds in apps as well games work perfectly.

Bye!

Simone

KPaw

Re: No sound in Avast IS 6.0.1203
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »
I had this exact same issue last week.  I was not getting the pop-ups either... Maybe you can check for my post as I can't seem to link it here.   I eventually did a system restore and it fixed the problem but have no clue what caused it in the first place.

jrace

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »
I had this exact same issue last week.  I was not getting the pop-ups either... Maybe you can check for my post as I can't seem to link it here.   I eventually did a system restore and it fixed the problem but have no clue what caused it in the first place.

The link is:   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83340.0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:56:27 PM by jrace »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »
The link is:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php? PHPSESSID= &topic=83340.0
jrace, your link contain personal information of your session id.
The best things in life are free.

jrace

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
The link is:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php? PHPSESSID= &topic=83340.0
jrace, your link contain personal information of your session id.

Thanks Tech next time I'll be more carefull.
One day you do everything the first time and you are lucky when somebody reminds you about mistakes.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:11:48 PM »
You're welcome.
The best things in life are free.

KPaw

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
jrace, thanks for putting in the link!

Spulci

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »
Thanks for your help. Sound files are located in the directory you stated in the other post. They're not corrupted (WMP can open it ;) ). But Avast IS is still without sound.
I can't understand what happend since the install is not corrupted.

Should I unistall with the clean utility and the reinstall applying my licence?

Spulci

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:00:09 AM »
I did a full install using the installer; then I installed AIS again....still no sounds at all! And now AIS states that virus signatures are outdated. I downloaded the offline VPS update pack and it tells that signatures are already updated.
I searched on the internet for that bug and it seems that I'm not alone. VPS is correctly updates (as stated by the offline vps update package).

Should I try a deep registry clean after removing AIS? Please be sure that the update service is not blocked by AIS firewall and that Windows firewall service has been disabled.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »
I did a full install using the installer; then I installed AIS again....still no sounds at all! And now AIS states that virus signatures are outdated. I downloaded the offline VPS update pack and it tells that signatures are already updated.
I searched on the internet for that bug and it seems that I'm not alone. VPS is correctly updates (as stated by the offline vps update package).

When troubleshooting, it is recommended to reboot after applying changes or offline updates. A glitch on the database can happen for many reasons, including a downtime of the server.

If you are connected to the internet "permanently", then change Avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "my computer is permanently connected to the internet". If, instead, you are on dial up, select the appropriate option.

In the settings -> updates tab, you also have "direct connection (no proxy)", which sometimes solves problems with database updates.

Should I try a deep registry clean after removing AIS? Please be sure that the update service is not blocked by AIS firewall and that Windows firewall service has been disabled.

If you used the Clean Uninstall Utility of Avast from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, no more deep cleaning should be necessary. In any case, if you do a registry clean, please avoid doing it "automatically", as there is a tendency to make more harm than good.

There is a new beta currently in development, so in the near future you should have a new stable version of AIS available for download. If the problems are not solved by then, try:

1_ Backup your registration file,
2_ Uninstall Avast using Add/Remove Programs.
3_ Reboot into Windows Safe Mode and run the Clean Uninstall Utility. Repeat this step for each version and edition of Avast you ever used (including rebooting between each run).
4_ Reboot into Windows Normal Mode and run the latest stable version setup.
5_ Reboot once the installation finishes.
6_ Configure Avast as you need, and REBOOT again.

Now, about firewall and its rules, when troubleshooting it is recommended to delete the firewall rules related to Avast, then reboot and connect again. Usually the firewall should ask you again for confirmation ("learning mode"), so the rules are rebuilt for the new Avast version / release / edition / installation. Even when the rules seem to be correct, rebuilding them usually solves some of the problems. After rebuilding the rules, wait for Avast to finish any updates and reboot.

HTH.

Spulci

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
@ady4um Thanks for you detailed troubleshooting guide. The update problem is now fixed. But the audio problem is still there even using aswclear program in safe mode. I think I will show this post in the bete realease thread to see if they can fix this problem. I'm fully available to send logs to developers if needed.

Thanks for your help

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 07:09:49 AM »
About sounds, you should double check that you have Settings -> popups in some "normal" value (20 seconds is default).

Also, for now the sounds are related to the tray notifications (might be changed in the future to be independent). So, are you currently seeing updates tray notifications?

Please review the following settings (in any case):
Avast main GUI -> Settings ->

Updates -> engine and virus definitions -> automatic.
Updates -> details -> update options -> all options checked.
Silent/gaming mode -> UNchecked
Status bar -> definitions auto updates checked
Sounds -> all checkboxes checked

If you see the tray notifications, while you actually see one tray notification, you could open the Volume Mixer (right click on the volume icon at the tray area and select Volume Mixer; NOT double click), you should be able to see all *active* apps having volume settings. While the update tray notification is being displayed (you just received a database update), the Volume Mixer should include also one Avast column for its volume. Review that the Avast column is not in "mute" and its volume is not zero.

Spulci

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 09:37:39 AM »
About sounds, you should double check that you have Settings -> popups in some "normal" value (20 seconds is default).

Also, for now the sounds are related to the tray notifications (might be changed in the future to be independent). So, are you currently seeing updates tray notifications?

I've always seen all tray notifications. I checked all the options values and they have the values you provided me in your message. When the next update will pop up, i'll check the avast sound volume. Btw who lowered the volume of Avast application intentionally? I'm the only user of this pc at home. I'll check the mixer value soon and let you know about it.
Simone

Spulci

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
If you see the tray notifications, while you actually see one tray notification, you could open the Volume Mixer (right click on the volume icon at the tray area and select Volume Mixer; NOT double click), you should be able to see all *active* apps having volume settings. While the update tray notification is being displayed (you just received a database update), the Volume Mixer should include also one Avast column for its volume. Review that the Avast column is not in "mute" and its volume is not zero.

As you can see from the image below there's no Avast sound column in the sound mixer while the popup is showing an update! I think there's nothing more to say that this is a bug introduced by some unknown event.

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »
I think there's nothing more to say that this is a bug introduced by some unknown event.
The "unknown" is the key word. You can assume the sounds are working for most users, but I indeed saw several of these topics about Avast sounds not working.

I can't think about something else in Avast's area, besides suggesting uninstalling your sound drivers, then reboot and install the latest ones (even if the current driver's version you have is the latest, the first uninstall could "release" the glitch).

After the uninstall and reboot, and before reinstalling the sound drivers again (from a fresh download), while still with the default Windows drivers you might want to check Avast sounds when the database is updated.

Changing some settings in your sound drivers might be an additional test (AC'97, SPDIF, digital output, playback device...).

Of course, I have no way to assure you that all or any of those changes and tests might actually solve the sound problem in Avast. I'm "throwing" ideas by now with this issue.

I guess the "work" or tests you might be willing to perform depend on how much you really need to solve this issue.

In any case, whether success or fail, please report back here so it could help others too.