Author Topic: reject or drop ALL INCOMING CONNECTIONS by avast ... WHY ?!?  (Read 2464 times)

piftoed

reject or drop ALL INCOMING CONNECTIONS by avast ... WHY ?!?
« on: August 20, 2011, 02:47:52 AM »
hi, i have avast 5 pro, but i checked avast 6, SAME PROBLEM !
i use vnc (and other services) to connect to my computer remotely ...

if i go and disable avast shields i get a message box confirmation that ask me if i really want to do that ... moment when (don't matter at all what i answer)

ALL AND EVERY SINGLE INCOMING CONNECTION TO MY COMPUTER (initiated from external sources) IS TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY GONE, i cannot connect to my computer any more from outside at all

if windows firewall is up i get "connection time out" - that is dropping and it don't matter what allow settings i have in firewall, what programs, what rules (i even put a rule with allow all from and to everywhere and everything)
if i totally disable windows firewall (including stopping the service) i got "connection refused" - that is rejecting

my personal conclusion is that avast changed a really deep basic rule in windows networking core and never change it back

the only solution i know is to reinstall windows

SO ! HOW CAN I GAIN BACK CONTROL TO MY COMPUTER ?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:18:10 PM by piftoed »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: reject or drop ALL INCOMING CONNECTIONS by avast ... WHY ?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
No, avast! doesn't change any "rules" in Windows "core".
So, do I understand it correctly that after reboot, everything is back to normal - until you try to stop the shields again?
If that's the case, what if you stop the shields from the UI, one by one - what happens?

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »

Right click the avast icon on the Task Bar and select how long you want to stop the shields.

Does that work for you?

piftoed

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »
No, avast! doesn't change any "rules" in Windows "core".
So, do I understand it correctly that after reboot, everything is back to normal - until you try to stop the shields again?
If that's the case, what if you stop the shields from the UI, one by one - what happens?

is there any word you don't understand from "the only solution i know is reinstall the windows" ?
did you TRIED BEFORE SPEAK ?!?
YES AVAST IS CHANGING DEFAULT RULE IN WINDOWS NETWORKING CORE !!!!!

HOW ELSE IT IS DONE THIS ? ... and i would like an answer to this question !
and that's for my personal knowledge, not only to prove Igor is talking trash

in linux iptables -P does exactly that
in windows i don't know how ... BUT IT DOES !
enabling/disabling windows firewall don't work
enabling/disabling avast shields DON'T WORK
UNINSTALLING/REINSTALLING AVAST DON'T WORK !!!!!!!!!

i'm sorry to say it but this is REALLY "NICE"

so, in conclusion: TRY to disable avast shields YOU WILL NEED TO REINSTALL WINDOWS !
NO CharleyO has no importance for how long i tried to disable shields, problem is up in the very second when confirmation dialog appear, don't even matter if i press yes or no, i'm already screwed !

"nice" ... "REALLY NICE"

i guess you call that "protection", with this kind of protection viruses may not be such a bad thing, "THANK YOU VERY MUCH" !

and, btw ... i'm trying hard not to say really bad words here, believe me !
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:07:31 PM by piftoed »