Author Topic: Why am I getting upgrade messages?  (Read 4539 times)

rdawalt

Why am I getting upgrade messages?
« on: August 23, 2011, 04:46:22 PM »
Hello,

I have used Avast for years, but just in the last few weeks, about once a week I get a message that says "You probably didn't know that Avast free is for personal use only, not a business". I don't use it on business computers, in fact I am retired. I have several laptops and a couple of desktops here, but it's all personal.

I find this very offensive and I resent the mistrust.  What is causing this, and can it be stopped or should I just uninstall the product?

Thanks!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Why am I getting upgrade messages?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »
is the one year free time out ?....if so you need to register again fo a new year

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:57:28 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
Hello,

I have used Avast for years, but just in the last few weeks, about once a week I get a message that says "You probably didn't know that Avast free is for personal use only, not a business". I don't use it on business computers, in fact I am retired. I have several laptops and a couple of desktops here, but it's all personal.

I find this very offensive and I resent the mistrust.  What is causing this, and can it be stopped or should I just uninstall the product?

Thanks!

It is a recently introduced check for potential businesses using the avast free version when they should be using the paid Pro version, this unfortunately isn't and easy thing to check and this is a bit of a blunt instrument.

Since you are using a network (domain) with more than three systems using avast free, this is the trigger point at which it is though that you are a business and see the new warning. Most people don't have more than 3 systems on their network so won't see this.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdawalt

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »
No, I just renewed June 18 for a year. This is a different message, it implies I am a business/commercial.

Thanks for your help and reply!

rdawalt

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »

It is a recently introduced check for potential businesses using the avast free version when they should be using the paid Pro version, this unfortunately isn't and easy thing to check and this is a bit of a blunt instrument.

Since you are using a network (domain) with more than three systems using avast free, this is the trigger point at which it is though that you are a business and see the new warning. Most people don't have more than 3 systems on their network so won't see this.

Thanks for your reply! Is there a way this cab turned off? The annoyance will soon outweigh the advantages I fear..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:37:06 PM »
Also see an extract from another topic/post.
Hi all,
we will show this screen again few times this week. If you are running a home network, please just close the screen and accept our apologies. We haven't found a better way how to target the business environment more precisely.

Thank you
Martin

As far as I'm aware this won't always be the norm, but will be periodically run, just ignore it (close the window) if you are using avast free for home and non-commercial use.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:57:23 PM »
@rdawalt,

From a very recent topic about this issue, the following are posts from 2 Avast Team members:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83260.msg678794#msg678794
The popup is genuine. We recently ran a "campaign" like this.
The check is pretty simple: if the computer is part of ActiveDirectory, and there's more then 3 computers in the AD, avast thinks it's a business environment (as opposed to home environment).

This may cause some very small number of "false positives", but is generally quite accurate.
If you're really using avast for non-commercial purposes at home, please accept our apologies.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83260.msg680041#msg680041
we will show this screen again few times this week. If you are running a home network, please just close the screen and accept our apologies. We haven't found a better way how to target the business environment more precisely.

HTH.

AussiLady

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 01:34:53 AM »
I joined up here specifically to ask the same question, but see others are in the same boat. I'm a private user on a home network. Domain names are so easy to get now and enable a user to change ISP's without having to notify everyone of new email address without all the disasters that go with it. We are public servants who work in the IT industry, but don't work from home. I guess setting up a network at home with teenage children doesnt help.

We also have a flat downstairs with a disabled person who also has a computer on our network so we can all access the internet.

I think three computers on a home network might be a bit of a low setting, many families are IT savvy now and have wifi with ipads, laptops, pc's and teenagers as well as mum and dads computer.

As I love the product and I'll give it a bit of time, but if the nagging is too constant, after many many years of advising users at work to use AVAST for home use, I might have to find another product  :(

rdawalt

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 01:55:47 AM »
I have a domain and Active Directory is the default installation, as it's hard to get security etc working right on a server without it in the Windows world. So I have a *private* network behind a firewall.  This seems like a very simple network set up to me, to be continually nagged by Avast is distressing.

Again, I am retired and do no business for anyone - not one dollar of income or pay has come to anyone in this house.  I just happen to be someone who keeps their computers around when they buy a new one.

I am not pleased with their response - "to those who are legit, sorry.".  Well if Avast is going to throw me under the bus so they can nag people who use their license improperly, I'll move to a product where the vendor appreciates that I am someone who complies by the license requirements.

I'll give it some time - if the nags continue I am gone.

Thanks for your help in explaining this policy. While I vehemently disagree with it and see it as very customer unfriendly, I appreciate the time and effort you folks gave in supporting their product and explaining the policy. Thanks again.

AussiLady

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
I just happen to be someone who keeps their computers around when they buy a new one.

I just realised, two of the computers on my home network are just that, replacements that I havent taken offline yet as Im still transferring files

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
Hi rdawalt,

I understand that you may feel offended by that screen. We will increase the quota to 5 PCs to lower the number of false prompting. The fact is that lot of users is not aware that Free AV shouldn't be used for business purposes, and this is one of the way how to inform them.

Thank you for understanding.

Martin