Author Topic: How to disable Windows Defender ?  (Read 10770 times)

naren17

How to disable Windows Defender ?
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
Installed Avast on Win 7 64 Bits. How do I disable Windows Defender? If I click on tools nothing happens.

Installation file of Avast is same for 32/64 Bits, right?

Thanxx
Naren

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: How to disable Windows Defender ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
How do I disable Windows Defender? If I click on tools nothing happens.

Please read this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-Defender-on-or-off

Installation file of Avast is same for 32/64 Bits, right?

Yes.

Nesivos

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »
Personally I would not disable it.

I don't know how much memory you have on your computer or what the CPU rating is however in any case I would not disable Windows Defender.

If you really don't want it to use up CPU processing I would just turn off the real time feature.

Go to the Window Ball -  Type in Defender - Click on Windows Defender - Tools - Options - Reat Time Protection and un-check any of the three selections you want to.

The reason is I would not turn WD completely off, is because it is not necessary and since it is an integral part of Windows Security.  By leaving Windows Defender on but turning off the "real time protection" you will still get their "definition" updates and can run a scheduled scans.  Running a WD Quick Scan one a week can not hurt anything and runs fairly quickly.

My guess is that you will disable it anyway.

Good luck :)

jrace

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:00:51 PM »
Installed Avast on Win 7 64 Bits. How do I disable Windows Defender?

I can fully support "Nesivos" statements:

"Windows Defender" does not eat up any big amount of resources.
You don't have to feed it or care about it and it's living in perfect harmony with "avast!".
Same goes for "Windows Firewall" when you have "avast! Free" or "Pro" installed.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »
Defender is a complete waste of time imo, slow to scan and the windows updates everyday are very annoying including the restore point it makes every update, its detections are far surpassed by avast in everyway.
naren17 the best way to shut off defender completly is to type "services" in the run bar and scroll down the list to windows defender, double click on it and choose to disable  :)

naren17

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »
After sometime clicking on windows defender - tools worked. I disabled it through administrator - unchecked the option use this service.

I dont need windows defender so disabled it.

Thanxx for your help & time.

Regards
Naren

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
You don’t need to use windows defender to scan, naren17 ---malewarebytes is a good free program I would certainly have, it’s not real time. But a good scanner for back up.
I have had windows defender running for years because it’s real time.
I don’t see any  problem having it.
Some can say windows firewall is a waste of time.

My set up is simple

Avast
Comodo firewall & DNS server
Windows defender
Malewarebytes
& hard firewall

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:57 AM »
Defender is a complete waste of time imo, slow to scan and the windows updates everyday are very annoying including the restore point it makes every update, its detections are far surpassed by avast in everyway.
naren17 the best way to shut off defender completly is to type "services" in the run bar and scroll down the list to windows defender, double click on it and choose to disable  :)
You do not know how to use Windows Defender! ;)

I agree with Nesivos.

DBone

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 01:22:13 AM »
Windows Defender eats over 60mg of RAM on my W7 x64 Home Premium machine.......Hardly light on resources. Why in the Heck would anyone want to use WD when they could use MBAM and HMP?????

Disable that turd and never look back.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 05:42:01 AM »

+1 ;) a friend of mind told me it a real pain in the backside.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:45:52 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:50:35 AM »
You do not know how to use Windows Defender! ;)

I agree with Nesivos.
What a stupid answer Ken! of course i know how to use defender, i just choose not to because its rubbish.

naren17

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:21:05 PM »
I dont think it can give me any extra protection than Avast.

And yes malwarebytes free & hitman is there for manual scanning.

But I wish there was a portable version of malwarebytes.

Thanxx
Naren