Author Topic: Enhanced Protection virus  (Read 18622 times)

Danbar

Re: Enhanced Protection virus
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 04:19:43 AM »
to essexboy:

sorry to be MIA for so long but my PC problem has taken away my internet access. I am borrowing a friend's laptop to get back in touch with you. So your last instructions were to check to see if I had the repair option in safe mode, which I do. What next? I will try to log on to the Avast forum early tomorrow, using my friend's laptop, and maybe we can then try so fix the problem more efficiently. I will look forward to talking with tomorrow.

Danbar

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 08:44:12 PM »
OK select the repair my computer - from there select "Startup Repair"

Danbar

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
"Startup Repair could not detect a problem". It says if I have attached any new portable devices to the computer, remove them and restart computer. And if I continue to see this message, contact system admin or computer manufacturer.  There are then 2 options- 1. view diagnostic and repair details, 2. view advanced options for system recovery and support. Then at the bottom there is a "finish" & "cancel" box. The diagnostic/repair report said: Tests performed- Check for updates(ok), system disk test(ok), disk failure diagnosis(ok), disk metadata test(ok), target OS test(ok), volume content check(ok), boot manager diagnosis(ok), system boot log diagnosis(ok), event log diagnosis(ok), internal state check(ok), boot status test(ok), Boot status- OS booted successfully. Don't know if it is important, but the whole startup repair took only about 10 seconds. But several of the tests have varied amounts of time taken= 47ms, 16ms, 109ms, etc. The advanced option then goes to System recovery options again.

Danbar

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
I forgot to add the other options in system recovery- system restore, system image recovery, windows memory diagnostic, command prompt, recovery manager.  At the bottom are "shut down" & "restart" boxes.

Also I will add that my browser is Mozilla Firefox and when I try to go on the internet it gives an ERROR 711: couldn't start Remote Access Connection Manager Service in time. Internet Explorer just keeps trying to dial up the default broadband connection but nothing happens.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:26:59 PM by Danbar »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 11:24:02 PM »
Select Command prompt

At the command prompt type the following 

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr 

• Once finished type Exit
    Reboot to normal windows

Danbar

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »
    it said it completed successfully but it still reboots to safe mode. Just wanted to make sure I did what you said to do, correctly, though. I clicked on command prompt and where the cursor was blinking, I entered the command you wanted. Then I hit enter and it said it completed successfully. The cursor came back on the line below and I typed Exit. It went back to the system recovery options box. I hit restart and went to safe mode menu and chose start computer normally.

Danbar

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
    Essexboy:  I finally caught you online!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
    OK time to do a deeper analysis I feel.  With this next tool the main part I am interested in is the analysis zip file as that will list all drivers for me.  The zip file will need to be uploaded to mediafire and if you could post the sharing link I will collect it 

Download AVPTool from Here to your desktop 

Run the programme you have just downloaded to your desktop (it will be randomly named ) 

First we will run a virus scan  

Click the cog in the upper right 

Select down to and including your main drive, once done select the Automatic scan tab and press Start Scan 

Allow AVP to delete all infections found
    Once it has finished select report tab (last tab)
    Select Detected threats report from the left and press Save button
    Save it to your desktop and attach to your next post

Now the Analysis

Rerun AVP and select the Manual Disinfection tab and press Start Gathering System Information 

On completion click the link to locate the zip file to upload and attach to your next post 

Megaupload

Danbar

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »
    Remember I have hit a snag. I don't have internet access on the problem computer. I am using a friend's laptop to talk with you now. I first need to find out why my computer can't connect to the internet.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
    OK me numpty - could you confirm you are in safe mode with networking ?

When you try to connect what error do you get

Danbar

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
    yes. I am in Safe mode with networking as we speak. In my Network Connections it gives me an ERROR 711: Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager Service.

When I browse on Firefox, it changes to a blank home page and lets me enter any website I want to, but does nothing after I do so. On Internet Explorer it changes to home page and lets me input any website I want and then a box appears asking me to connect to the internet but it just says connecting.........and nothing happens. It also keeps kicking me OFFLINE so I have to keep unchecking WORK OFFLINE.
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:22:29 PM by Danbar »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »
    OK that has given me a start point

This problem can occur if some or all of the following services aren't started:

Plug and Play

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Remote Access Connection Manager

Telephony

To fix this problem, follow these steps for each of the services listed above:

Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type administrative tools, and then click Administrative Tools.‍ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Double-click Services.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Right-click one of the services listed above, and then click Properties.

Click the General tab, and then, next to Startup type, select Manual.

Click Apply, and then click Start.

Danbar

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
    Looks like plug and play might be the culprit. Checked all of them like you said and all of them were already in "manual" except Plug and play. It is locked in "auto" and an option to change it isn't possible.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »
    No thats good, are they all reporting as running ?

Next step will be sfc /scannow to verify the file structure

Danbar

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 09:49:20 PM »
    Should have known. What I think might be the problem, you say is good. Guess that's why you are the one working for Avast!

Plug and play is the only one running. The other 3 say their service status is stopped.

Still want to scannow or do you want them all to be running?
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:53:15 PM by Danbar »