Author Topic: Enhanced Protection virus  (Read 18608 times)

Danbar

Re: Enhanced Protection virus
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2011, 05:38:04 AM »
Essexboy:

Ran the fix in OTL and my main administrator account is now missing from the log on page at start up. I had 3 accts.- One Admin with my name, one user acct, and a guest acct. The OTL scan almost immediately started to reboot as all the desktop icons disappeared and it was just kind of frozen. When it finally rebooted after maybe 90 seconds, the user acct log on page came up and my main Admin acct was missing. The user acct and guest acct were the only ones to log onto. I was able to locate the missing acct under Computer/C: drive/user, so it isn't erased or completely missing, but I just can't get it back where it should be. Is this a normal symptom during the clean up phase or does this mean that the Admin acct is still corrupt? I won't do anymore until I hear back from you. Thanks.

Danbar

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
OTL for that fix just emptied the temp files and created a restore point nothing else

Have you done a full reboot ? As OTL may just have logged you out of that account

Danbar

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »
Hello Essexboy:

Thanks for the clarification about the OTL fix and the missing Admin. acct. I did a manual reboot and the Admin. acct. was restored like it was before. When the OTL fix had finished, it rebooted on its own and I thought that was reboot you were talking about in your instructions. So that part is now taken care of.

I continued on and removed ComboFix, however, I am experiencing a glitch. On the Admin. acct., I can't access Firefox because it keeps telling me that Firefox is already running and I need to close it first or restart my computer. I've tried manually closing it every way I know how and tried rebooting. It doesn't show up in task manager, so I couldn't close it there either.

I have since logged on to the other user acct. and continued on with your instructions to keep files/folders hidden and updated Java. Both were achieved without obvious incident. I now have created a new restore point and am about to erase all the other restore points on the computer. Do I want to do this with the frozen Firefox issue existing on the Admin. acct.?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »
I had this problem a while ago when I played with FF, there was one instance running in task manager and that had to be closed before I could start it properly.. Have you tried that ? 

Danbar

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2011, 10:51:22 PM »
Nothing running in task manager. Have completely logged out of all accts. and rebooted again. Still says Firefox is running but not responding on the Admin. acct. Working fine on the user acct.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2011, 10:55:30 PM »
My recommendation would be to uninstall Firefox from the admin account and then reinstall