Author Topic: BSOD on install  (Read 3206 times)

kjdemuth

BSOD on install
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »
Hey folks,
         I was wondering if you fine folks can help me with a problem.  I recently had CIS 5.8 beta and sandboxie for security.  I decided to give avast free a try.  I uninstalled CIS 5.8 beta by revo uninstaller and then ran ccleaner to clean up.  I rebooted and then went to install avast free 6.  The install went smoothly until it finished up.  Right at the finishing setup portion my laptop froze and I got a BSOD.  Thinking that it was just a bad install I tried it again.  Same result.  I then downloaded and ran the avast uninstall utility and comodo uninstall tool.  I tried both in safe mode as well.  After rebooting I again tried to install avast.  I got the same result.  I then ran a few on demand scanners, MBAM, EAM and hitman pro, thinking I may have an infection.  Nothing was found.  I then started to think that it might be sandboxie.  Has anyone else had an issue similar to this?  It's kind of bothering me.  I haven't had an issue like this in a while.  Any insight would be great. 

ady4um

Re: BSOD on install
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:25:32 PM »
Right at the finishing setup portion my laptop froze

First, use the AC power, not only the battery, for the install.

Re-download anew the latest setup.exe from the official site only.

Please, reboot into Windows Safe Mode again and run the Clean Uninstall Utility for Avast so to clean the previous failed installs.

Reboot into Normal mode. Wait several minutes (not just seconds) so all drivers / processes / services are finished. The main GUI of Windows might seem "ready" for you to work, but there might be additional "things" being done.

Temporarily, disable any nonessential programs and/or services, like backups, resident defraggers, hardware monitors and so on.

Temporarily disable any power savers, including screen savers.

Temporarily disable any type of network connection, specially those like wi-fi (and any non-wired).

Run with administrative permissions.

After the install finishes, reboot if requested.

If after installing Avast, you have some compatibility problem, try Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> "load avast after other system services".

Once configured, reboot again.

Do you have enough free space?

Before the install, ran a boot scandisk / chkdsk and repair if necessary.

Do you have all Windows updates (specially SPs)? Recheck that Windows is Registered / Validated (not strictly a requirement, but there are some cases where we have seen problems before/after a Windows SP update).

Do you have enough hardware resources to run Avast? Recheck.

HTH.

kjdemuth

Re: BSOD on install
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
I tried all of that the first two times.  Still nothing worked.   I restored my system to last week and all is well.  I think it might have something to do with axcyrpt that I installed and then uninstalled.  Doing a system restore worked.   I installed avast free without a problem.  I then installed comodo firewall and sandboxie also without a hitch.  Thanks for the help ady4um.