Author Topic: Avast Free AV Blocks Malwarebytes Update  (Read 6559 times)

vectorczar

Avast Free AV Blocks Malwarebytes Update
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:53:23 PM »
Greetings to the List,

I'm a new user to Avast Free (6.0.1203- installed yesterday) and am pleased with the product thus far.

However, when my Malwarebytes went to update, it was blocked from internet access. I tried to manually start an update but got the same results. I temporarily disabled Avast Free AV, started a manual update for Malwarebytes, and it completed like it normally would.

I tried doing my own research before bothering anyone here, but cannot seem to find an answer. Now, instead of me navigating through a new interface trying to find the right configuration to preclude this from happening again, would one of you kind souls with knowledge please inform me how to configure Avast Free AV correctly?

Thank you very much for your help.

vectorczar
Win7 x64
Avast Free AV

ethan76

Re: Avast Free AV Blocks Malwarebytes Update
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »
You can try placing the "Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" and "Program Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" in the Exclusions of the File System Shield and the WebShield and see if you can update while AvastFree is on.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:04:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum! ;)

Do you use MBAM Free or Pro?
If you use Pro, try to deactivate the real time protection of MBAM.
Does it work now?

I use MBAM Free with avast!6 Free without problems.

Do you use a firewall?
If you do this, look at the settings of the firewall and check them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:06:23 AM by ~SKY~ »
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:34:22 AM »
I use Malwarebytes Pro without a problem on Win7 x64.

ethan76 has no clue about what they are talking.

ethan76

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 01:02:59 AM »
I use Malwarebytes Pro without a problem on Win7 x64.

ethan76 has no clue about what they are talking.

Oh...vectorczar was asking some questions and I offered my settings as I have set that in mine even I have no problems with either MBAM Pro and MBAM free. I did experience that previously and I have opted to "exclude" the MBAM folders (as I do with all my layer apps). I use that to have no compatibility issues with my systems.

It may or may not be the best there is but I do not degrade people's advice as you have here in this forum. If you do not like it then just say so in a nice manner and not tell the whole forum in a manner that makes me looks stupid.

I may be a newbie but I have manners.

Thank you very much for the second bully-effort you did to me here. I hope you get your fill of having to be elated as a very good adviser here because you really enjoy pouncing on newbies and making those arrogant comments Mr. Forum J__k.

Some who are more blessed with the Avast knowledge do not behave like that because they know better and behave better.

Try to learn more from Vlk at this thread Reply #23 when he said the most gentlemanly statement I come to admire from a competitor. I do. Now try to compare your comments/advice on other threads...

Be nice for a change.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:15:33 AM by ethan76 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
@ vectorczar
I have MBAM Pro on both XP Pro and win7 systems and I have zero exclusions for MBAM in avast and I have no problem updating in either system.

If you are, there is some sort of conflict other than mbam/avast.

This conflict could well be another AV or remnants of your last AV.
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What is your firewall ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:33:46 PM by Pondus »

vectorczar

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 02:13:53 AM »
this may help
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=86751

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. The Behavior Shield> Expert Settings> Trusted Processes and the link provided by Pondus did the trick. MBAM now updates normally. I just placed all three MABAM executables in the Trusted Process status.

Thanks again,

czar

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:16:06 AM »
Strange, as I said I have nothing excluded for MBAM in the Behavior Shield or other shields.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:18:10 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vectorczar

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 04:58:52 AM »
Strange, as I said I have nothing excluded for MBAM in the Behavior Shield or other shields.

Be that as it may for you, that was not my experience. MBAM updated normally prior to Avast Free install; afterwards it did not.

The suggestions and link did the trick for me, and the outcome was successful.

czar

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »
Yes, its just weird that's all.

ethan76

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:07:19 PM »

Sometimes when we all think all is okay it's not. Updating MBAM sometimes is. Outside internet connection, I had a case where Avira Webguard was blocking the updates. Outpost Pro ver6 and Comodo ver4 also. Strangely after placing the exclusions/rules in OP Pro ver6 I removed it and MBAM updated. That was also the case with Avira Webguard. For Comodo placing it as Trusted did the trick but now just the custom rules for ver5.5 suffices.

In Avast I never had that problem with MBAM updating but from experience I apply the exclusions as well. It seems MBAM updating generally varies from each pc set-up.

Strange and weired is right:)

Just sharing:)