Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - NOW 6.0.1279 **  (Read 177258 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: ** INTRODUCING: NEW BETA VERSION OF AVAST - v6.0.1270 **
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
Script shield not doing anything here, Firefox 9 with NoScript. Doesn't matter if NoScript is enabled or disabled.
I wouldn't expect it to work with firefox 9 as it's just been updated to work with firefox 6, using future versions of firefox will probably bring you many problems.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:48:57 PM by craigb »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2011, 07:43:50 PM »
there's no FF v9 -- warlock, which version do you really use? + OS type, thanks

The Seeker

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
there's no FF v9 -- warlock, which version do you really use? + OS type, thanks

The latest nightly is at version 9.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
Thanks for info, I thought the last one is v7 beta1... unfortunately, only official FF versions are currently supported (i.e. v3/v4/v5/v6/v7 beta1).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:25:37 PM by pk »

Nesivos

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
Script shield not doing anything here, Firefox 9 with NoScript. Doesn't matter if NoScript is enabled or disabled.

Doesn't appear to be working with Firefox 7 Beta either.   FF 7 RTW due out Sep 27th.

warlock

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
A pitty about the development FF versions, but understandable. But you should really get some info on the way Firefox is developed now, or you will get a lot of headaches every 6 weeks when a new version is released.
To put it simply there are a few development branches for bigger changes + 3 main development versions of Firefox that get a version bump every 6 weeks (the release is time based):
  • Nigtly (currently 9) - rolling updates, gets all the simpler changes directly and merges the bigger changes from the branches that are deemed stable enough
  • Aurora (currently 8 ) - akin to beta in previous release model, gets only changes from nightly that are deemed stable and feature complete (or close enough) at the time of the version bump, only fixing bugs and disabling/removing features that are deemed as not fit for release is allowed
  • Beta (currently 7) - akin to RC in previous release model, strings, API and ABI are complete and no changes are allowed, only fixing of bugs is allowed, no adding or removing of features (except if required by some critical bug, but that will be rare)

It looks like this:

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
Script Shield works with FF 6. Other topic - small UI bug in full screen mode, buttons are misplaced (see screenshot).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
Script Shield works with FF 6. Other topic - small UI bug in full screen mode, buttons are misplaced (see screenshot).

That hasn't changed it has been like that Full Screen Buttons/icons thing goes back some time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »

It's better than the old "More info" button but still looks ugly and out of context. Just doesn't feel right. Can't this be done properly so it looks consistent with the rest of the GUI ? Plz!?

If you ask me a simple "click this popup for more info" on the bottom of the popup with white font would do it. Same size and font type as the rest of the popup, not thiss big ass thing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:40:51 PM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Nesivos

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
I actually like Firefox' new update policy as I understand it.

Firefox used to lump a whole bunch of improvements into one release and then wait maybe 6 months to a year for all of the improvements to be completed and tested before issuing an update to FF.   Security issues of course were fixed through updates as soon as the fix was complete.

Now Firefox is basically issuing a new release every time a major improvement, many of which are not visible to the user, is completed.  IMO this is a far better approach.   Along with this Firefox has now changed the install directory to just plain Firefox without a version number.  Users get notified when an update is available and just apply it.  So far this has worked great for me with respect to Firefox.  

I won't go into any more details about it here, but suffice is to say, like I said I like this change in philosophy by Firefox.  Why sit around and wait for an improvement six months after it is completed in order to get lumped with other improvements?  Clearly if multiple improvements are interrelated that is taken into consideration if they need to be released together.

The above is why Firefox plans to do away with version numbers in the the "About" box though you will be able to find the version number by going to "about:support"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:51:54 PM by Nesivos »

The Seeker

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »
I actually like Firefox' new update policy as I understand it.

Me too. Release early, release often  ;)

warlock

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2011, 08:54:56 PM »
@Vlk/PK
Speaking of Firefox, did any Firefox developer contact you regarding this bug: Dll Block list doesn't work when Avast! Anti-Virus is installed. Probably not your fault, but I thought you might have some useful info for them anyway.

gdiloren

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »

It's better than the old "More info" button but still looks ugly and out of context. Just doesn't feel right. Can't this be done properly so it looks consistent with the rest of the GUI ? Plz!?

If you ask me a simple "click this popup for more info" on the bottom of the popup with white font would do it. Same size and font type as the rest of the popup, not thiss big ass thing.
I like it as it is ;D

zfactor

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »
possibly a issue here... anytime the system boots up or goes to sleep and comes back i have not internet access till i open a browser and after a few seconds the page will load and the yellow exclamation goes away over the wireless bars and i have internet but until i do this i can not update a program or similar. this is on 2 different systems one laptop one desktop both are wireless. with avast uninstalled or the previous version it works just fine

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:26 PM »

I like it as it is ;D

+1 :D ;)