Author Topic: Strange problem with avast UI text elements  (Read 19859 times)

vertigoelectric

Strange problem with avast UI text elements
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:54 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that avast was no longer showing up in my system tray.  When I went to open it up through the folder, the text was all messed up in the interface.  This includes buttons.  Only some letters were showing.  Most were gone.

I tried a repair action through the 'uninstaller', but that didn't help.  I finally just uninstalled it.  That was days ago, and today I decided to reinstall it.  I downloaded a fresh new installer from the avast site and installed it.  The problem is still there.

Here is an example of what it looks like:

It's not just this tab/page.  It's any avast UI interface.  Avast has been the only antivirus software I've liked and trusted for a long time.  This makes it nearly unusable.  Please help.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Strange problem with avast UI text elements
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
have you tried with latest version just released   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83583.0

vertigoelectric

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
have you tried with latest version just released   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=83583.0

Well, I just downloaded avast from the avast website today... but I'll try the link on that thread.  I can't tell exactly what version I have because it doesn't show up in my UI.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:03:40 PM »
you have of course removed any previous installed AV and run a removal tool to clear any leftovers ?...or

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
I wonder if this is a missing windows font problem ?

vertigoelectric

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:23:28 PM »
I wonder if this is a missing windows font problem ?

I considered that.  I did mess with a lot of fonts but it hasn't affected ANYTHING else, so...

Maybe if I can find out exactly what font avast uses, I can make sure it's properly installed.

Also, I updated to the latest version as posted above.  I then opened the avast UI and it caused my computer to freeze for minutes at a time.  It'd freeze for a bit, then work, then freeze, then work.  Even trying to type this post was a hassle because when it froze I'd have to wait.  I finally just managed to kill the avast UI window and now there is no problem.

I am going to reboot.

vertigoelectric

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 11:29:30 PM »
Well, I rebooted my machine and then I couldn't start Firefox any more without it immediately crashing.  I found this very frustrating.  I didn't think it was a related issue, but apparently it is.

I looked in the event viewer and the firefox crash events said that the fault was in a aswJsFlt.dll file.  I did a search and found this file located in the Avast program folder.  I tried altering it but I could not rename or delete it.

I uninstalled avast and Firefox worked just fine.  Oh, and the avast update/reboot didn't fix the UI problem.

After all of this, I can't say I believe it's a font issue.  It's something more severe.  I guess I'll have to find another antivirus.

EDIT:  I decided to go with AVG, despite the fact that it has always annoyed me in the past.  I wish I could use avast again, so if anybody can help me get it working properly, I'd love to come back.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:08:10 PM by vertigoelectric »

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »
I think you haven't answered the question posted before (or I might have missed your answer).

Have you ran the Clean Uninstall Utility under Windows Safe Mode for any security tool you had (including the older Avast)?

Look at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ for several uninstallers, download any of your current AND previous security tools, and then...

1 Reboot into Windows Safe Mode;
2 Run the appropriate uninstaller
3 repeat 1 and 2 for each version of each security tool.

The above link have many uninstallers, but not "all" of them, so search for any uninstaller for any other security tools you have/had.

Once all security tools are "really" uninstalled under Windows Safe Mode, only then try again Avast. (So, before trying Avast again, "really" uninstall AVG by first the "Add/Remove programs" and second by the adequate uninstaller under Windows Safe Mode. As said, also older versions of Avast should be "cleaned".)

After Avast installation, reboot before getting to any conclusion.

vertigoelectric

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:06:07 PM »
I think you haven't answered the question posted before (or I might have missed your answer).

Have you ran the Clean Uninstall Utility under Windows Safe Mode for any security tool you had (including the older Avast)?

Look at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ for several uninstallers, download any of your current AND previous security tools, and then...

1 Reboot into Windows Safe Mode;
2 Run the appropriate uninstaller
3 repeat 1 and 2 for each version of each security tool.

The above link have many uninstallers, but not "all" of them, so search for any uninstaller for any other security tools you have/had.

Once all security tools are "really" uninstalled under Windows Safe Mode, only then try again Avast. (So, before trying Avast again, "really" uninstall AVG by first the "Add/Remove programs" and second by the adequate uninstaller under Windows Safe Mode. As said, also older versions of Avast should be "cleaned".)

After Avast installation, reboot before getting to any conclusion.

That seems like an awful lot of trouble, but it's probably worth it if avast works properly again.  I think avast is far superior to AVG, and much easier to use.  For example, if I need to disable avast for any reason, I can right click the tray icon and choose to disable it right there.  With AVG, I have to open the UI, go to Tools, choose Advanced Settings, go to the "Temporarily disable AVG protection" page, tick "Temporarily disable AVG protection", click OK, choose a time period (only choices are 5, 10, and 15 minutes), click "Disable real time protection", and then close the UI.  WTF?

Oh, and this morning it put Portal 2 in the virus vault without my permission.  Not okay.  You don't mess with my Portal.

UPDATE: Okay, I uninstalled AVG normally (although it wasn't very normal, since the uninstaller wouldn't stop the AVG watchdog service and I had to look up special instructions on how to stop it so that I could uninstall).  I then rebooted in safe mode and used the uninstaller tools for AVG and then for avast.   I'm going to try installing a fresh new avast now.

UPDATE 2: Okay, after following all of your instructions and freshly installing the latest version of avast, I got this right away:

Anything else I can try?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:01:00 PM by vertigoelectric »

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »
First I want to clarify something. My previous post was not exactly saying that you "must" do all those procedures. I was just pointing some directions to try, mostly the Clean Uninstallers, since this eliminates some of the underlying problems frequently encountered.

About your question "what else you could try", I am thinking about theme tools that you might have used, including "messing" with normal default system fonts (tahoma, symbol, terminal, arial, courier new, times..., and so on).

Could you try saving the current display settings and setting a default theme (including low standard resolutions, display contrast and colours and *fonts*)? Reboot after the change before actually checking Avast main GUI.

If the standard font files were replaced with some other version (maybe using a theme-related tool), then there is no way we would know in advance the results.

To be clear, this suggestion of setting defaults is to find out which exactly could be the problem. You should be able to return back to most of your likes when we find out what's going on (save it as a theme).

vertigoelectric

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »
I restored all of the default system fonts from the Windows XP disc.  I haven't rebooted yet, but as of right now it hasn't made any difference.

I've been using Windowblinds for years, and nothing about my theme/skin was changed in any way when avast starting doing this.  I'll disable it and reboot anyway to see what happens.

Sure is a lot of trouble to go through for this.  I don't understand why stuff can't just "work".

The avast issue is just a side thing.  I'm always having some kind of computer related problem, and they always seem to be extremely difficult to find the source to.  Just random, inexplicable stuff most of the time, and virus scans all show my system to be clean.  I'm also no amateur user.  I know my way quite well around a PC, both with hardware and software... yet crap just hits the fan all the time.  Quite frustrating.

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »
I just thought about something.

Is your Windows language the same as Avast language?

Do you have any additional language installed for Windows?

Do you have any additional language in other Windows programs (like in Internet Explorer, which is still deeply related to Windows Explorer)?

Try adding an additional language in Avast main GUI -> Settings -> language -> install additional languages (I understand it could be difficult in your situation, but try it anyway).

After that, reboot, go to the same place and set "English" as the main language, save and reboot.

Again, I understand this is kind of a loop in your situation, but maybe you still can try it?

vertigoelectric

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »
Well, I was able to find the Language setting, and the drop down box didn't have any text, although there was one invisible item, so I'm sure that was English.  I added all the rest of the available languages through the avast setup, and all of the languages had the same basic problem, and none of them were displaying properly.  Some words did, but most of the UI was still messed up.  I tested that without rebooting, though... but it did switch the languages on the fly, and like I said... so far, no good.

I also booted Windows in safe mode and avast still looks messed up, so we can pretty much rule out anything that is disabled in safe mode.

After all the troubleshooting I've been doing with my computer, I've noticed it's starting to respond more slowly than usual.  Uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, frequent reboots, etc... I don't know what's wrong.  Blegh!

ady4um

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:28 AM »
Well, first, skipping those recommended reboots is one of those little things that can actually make your system less stable in time. Yes, it is a PITA, but until Windows can manage to work "as the user wants" instead of the user having to adapt himself to how Windows work, there is not so much to do about it. Between each (un)installation (specially those related to drivers), you should reboot and "leave Windows alone" for several minutes (the GUI might seem ready, while those changes in drivers, processes and services might not). Making such "deep" changes without rebooting is just a call for eventual problems.

Since you have already tried many workarounds, you might want to open a bug ticket, with as much info as you can, including the link to this topic.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »
You could try the XP command that checks the protected files for integrity,
just in case something got screwed up.
Put the XP disk in the drive (exit the setup if it starts)
and from a command prompt run
SFC /SCANNOW

You can check the event viewer after to see if it found anything.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free