Author Topic: Unblocking an accidentally blocked program  (Read 7808 times)

labougie

Unblocking an accidentally blocked program
« on: November 14, 2004, 06:10:34 PM »
I accidentally stopped svchost.exe from accessing the net using Avast Home 4 and now I'm getting little notes every 10 mins or so to say that it has tried to communicate with the outside world but has been stopped.   Can any kind person tell me how I reverse this?  Where does Avast keep its list of blocked access?  Thanks, all the best, labougie.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Unblocking an accidentally blocked program
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 06:12:34 PM »
Avast does not block applications or services. Do you mean you have blocked it in your firewall?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 06:12:54 PM by Eddy »

techie101

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »
lab,

Quote from MS:

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Svchost.exe groups are identified in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

Since you shut it down, any program requiring a dll file will not work properly.

Look in your firewall settings for the process and "Allow" the process.  Reboot computer and you should be fine.

labougie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 07:02:30 PM »
Thanks Eddy and Techie 101 - Avast not guilty, svchost had somehow got blocked in Sygate Personal Firewall. (Don't remember doing this, but I s'pose I must have!).  Changed the setting and all fine.  Ta very much, keep the faith, David

techie101

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 08:11:08 PM »
lab,

Believe it or not, it may not have been you.  Sygate has been known to change a setting or two without reason.

That is why you must also question "why" something is happening before taking action.

If you can associate it with a program or process by "unloading or shutting down", then at least you know which is the cause.  It is usually a simple matter from that point to fix things.  Most of the time it is a setting change.

Good luck and glad things worked out for you.

Take Care.

Red

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 03:38:03 AM »
Techie101,
I installed 4.1 on my 98se,with Kerio firewall, and all went well until it tried to Update,
then a dialog on screen was trying to update but
saying, 'Cannot find server'.

I was able to update Ad-Aware immediately and have 8 other apps. which update without a hitch,
can you tell what might be blocking Avast only please ?

I am an amateur so not very au fait with heavy tech. stuff.

Kind Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 02:18:29 AM »
'Cannot find server'

Can you make two tentatives again?
1) try to manual update it again...
if does not work,
2) disable (shutdown) your firewall and try to update again.

Can you say if your avast installation is working?
The best things in life are free.

Red

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 03:05:48 AM »
Thanks Technical,

I would still like to know what's different\blocking Avast
when I can immediately D\L any other Apps. update
with a click ?

Normally Kerio would flash me a dialog for any new App.
wanting to D\L an update, asking if It was ok to make a rule to cover the App., it did not do that with Avast ?

I am missing something because I don't know how Avast does the job differently to all the other Apps.

Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 03:39:24 AM »
Download and firewall behaviors should be the same for avast.
The downloaded setup must be ok (I do lots of downloads and no problem with avast... I downloaded the setup files twice these days and both worked).
The firewall should warn you that avast.setup file is trying to update...
I was just trying to help you get avast working.
The best things in life are free.

Red

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 05:08:58 AM »
Technical,
Yes I understand you are trying to help and I appreciate that thank you.

My apologies for not answering your earlier question.
Yes, the install. of 4.1 had gone well and it scanned good, it was only the Auto. updater that was useless on my machine, oh and Avast would not allow my Emails through without doing a whole lot of tech. stuff, so I had to dump that part of Avast.

The 50 Apps. I have on my machine, they just simply click and go, so you can imagine if that's what you are used to, it kinda becomes what you expect, however unfortunate.

It's just that I understand anything quicker when I know
the why's and wherefores of the problem at hand, rather than fiddling about in the dark.

In the meantime Eddy suggested I D\L 4.5 , I have D\L'd it and shall soon install and see if these problems still persist.

Regards.