Author Topic: I need Heip w/ a Virus Infection--Please speak slowly.  (Read 11122 times)

Tech Impaired

I need Heip w/ a Virus Infection--Please speak slowly.
« on: November 03, 2004, 09:10:11 PM »
Running:
Win Me
Avast Pro 4.1
Zone Alarm
Ad Aware
CW Shredder
Spybot Search
RoadRunner
Spyware Blaster
Awclnr.exe

Ad Aware finds them but can't delete.  Same with avast.  avast identifies the virus as VX2.  Spywareguide.com instructions don't apply to where my infected files are-which I have found but cannot access-change name-delete or alter.  _Restore is the folder.  I've worked on this for a couple of days--and deleted god knows what else from my puter--except for these files.

In DOS-all I can get is "Bad file command."

What now?  Shoot myself--or the puter?  Pleeeeze help!

lister

Re:I need Heip w/ a Virus Infection--Please speak slowly.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 09:18:18 PM »
_Restore is the system restore, you will need to disable it before scanning and removing the virus, or system restore will just put the virus back again.
Unsure how to do that in WinME though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 09:22:46 PM »
To disable it:

Start > Control Panel > System > System restore > Disable
Click Apply
Enable it again
Click Ok
The best things in life are free.

Tech Impaired

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 10:21:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  :)

I read about this solution on the thread "virus multiplying" or something similar--and tried this then.  I also tried this twice since you suggested to do so.  I cannot access the file--permission denied.

I did manage to switch it to opening with notepad--but of course-editing is not allowed either.  I also dumped i.e. and loaded Mozilla because of all the bad press.

And--if this comes down to my having to use a gun--I'll need to borrow one.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 10:40:19 PM »
And--if this comes down to my having to use a gun--I'll need to borrow one.

Oh, I have a gun but I do not borrow it. I keep it for the bad computer days but not to shot myself but the computer  ;D
Welcome to avast forums  8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 01:02:43 AM »
Win XP-ME - How to disable System Restore

Once you have disabled system restore, reboot, that should automatically delete the contents of the _Restore folders. Scan your PC again and if clear enable system restore.

If that hasn't resolved it (keep system restore disabled) reboot into safe mode (usually by pressing the F8 key during boot. This stops many programs running and getting into memory (including some viri), once in run avast and scan in boot mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 11:50:49 AM »
If that hasn't resolved it (keep system restore disabled) reboot into safe mode (usually by pressing the F8 key during boot. This stops many programs running and getting into memory (including some viri), once in run avast and scan in boot mode.

David, sometimes I read that not all programs can run in Safe Mode.
Is avast among them? (I have XP)
Can all features of avast used under Safe Mode?

cnw

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 02:28:47 PM »
Good question and can you run a boot scan anytime or only when the screen appears that a virus has been found?  If so, how?

I know how to scan but not how to run a boot scan on demand.  Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 04:09:18 PM »

David, sometimes I read that not all programs can run in Safe Mode.
Is avast among them? (I have XP)
Can all features of avast used under Safe Mode?

I'm not 100% sure, I have never had to try it myself, I wouldn't normally try, it would be easier to reinstall my last backup image.

It was more a last ditch attempt if nothing else had worked. I suppose that Igor or Vlk would be able to say for sure if avast would work on safe mode and what functionality.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 04:10:15 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 04:35:17 PM »
can you run a boot scan anytime or only when the screen appears that a virus has been found?
Anytime you want.
start Avast > Menu > Shedule boot scan

Avast does work in safe mode on XP (tested it on three systems), however I noticed it was slower than in normal mode.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 04:46:22 PM »
Avast does work in safe mode on XP (tested it on three systems), however I noticed it was slower than in normal mode.

Thanks for that Eddy

Tech Impaired

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 02:10:02 AM »
The sad-sad ending to this story.

I ran to Staples--bought an external backup drive (Maxtor)--saved what I could--wiped "C" drive clean-found myself forever stuck in DOS--took the machine in and just got her back.

This virus stuff is going to end the web.  I'll not spend the big bucks to have one removed again.  I'll ditch the puter.

I do appreciate everyone's input and eagerness to help in such a timely manner.  :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 05:33:42 AM »
Guess it must be easier to go out and spend money then to follow simple instructions. ??? ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Tech Impaired

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 06:41:27 AM »
nut uh.  I did everything--every single thing I was told to do by this forum and also from spywareguide.com.  The advice did sound easy enough--it just plain old didn't work in this situation.

I was veeeery close--but no cigar.  DOS got me-and I couldn't go online to search the commands I needed.

However--your inference did not go unoticed.  Only some things are over my head--ya know?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 12:40:25 PM »
Only some things are over my head--ya know?
If you don't understand what we are saying/asking. Just say so and we will refrase it and keep refrasing it till you do understand it. Most of us are very patient and don't give up easily when we are trying to help someone.