Author Topic: MailEnable Support?  (Read 6223 times)

Gulag

MailEnable Support?
« on: November 04, 2004, 01:32:29 AM »
Hello:

I am in the process of evaluating the small business server edition for my webserver that runs on W2000 Server.

Does Avast integrate with MailEnable accounts for viruses?  I went to MailEnables website and they mentioned a number of other anti-virus vendors like Norton, McAfee, Grisoft, Panda, Norman, etc.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you.  :)

Gulag

Re:MailEnable Support?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 03:00:43 AM »
Viruses were found on my server, located not in memory but within MailEnable messages residing on the server.   They were not deleted because '...a file with a user mapped section was opened.'

I am very interested in this product.  Can you please tell me if there is a way to integrate with MailEnable?

Thank you.

Gulag

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 05:25:14 PM »
The following snippet from the MailEnable website says this:

MailEnable generally recommends trialing any antivirus software before you purchase, this can be imperative as each agent works differently and as such integration can only be    decided on personal requirements. It is also worth mentioning that some antivirus agents require that the MailEnable Mail Transfer agent run with elevated privileges.  

Real Time Protection
Most of the less expensive Antivirus agents cannot exclude directories or file types from their real time protector if you cannot disable the real time protection on specific MailEnable directories it is imperative that the resident scanner is disabled.  Command line scanner and resident AV services cannot perform together.

This leads me to ask if Avast will 'exclude directories or file types from the real time protector...'?

Please let me know if the two products will integrate.

Thank you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 11:25:11 PM »
Hi,

I'm not familiar with MailEnable and I don't think there's any MailEnable agent for avast... But it would be optimal if you could try to ask the MailEnable guys for this. I mean, they probably implemented all the agents (not the AV vendors themselves).

BTW of course, you can set scanning exceptions for the on-access scanner. Double click the avast tray icon -> double click the Standard Shield provider -> Advanced page -> Exceptions.

The format is typically

c:\path\path\*

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Gulag

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 09:51:41 PM »
Thanks for responding and letting me know about how to specify an exception.  I will look into integrating both in a few days.  Here is a link that may be helpful for anyone else who uses both products:

http://www.mailenable.com/kb/viewarticle.asp?&SS=antivirus&File=me020056.htm