Author Topic: Avast! doesn't start up  (Read 17419 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast! doesn't start up
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
Thanks Asyn for saving me   ;)
+2 I used the link I pasted in my reply when I first uninstalled Norton. I can't figure out why the OP had trouble. Unless the OP is not in North America.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 10:37:46 PM »
+2 I used the link I pasted in my reply when I first uninstalled Norton. I can't figure out why the OP had trouble. Unless the OP is not in North America.  ???

No idea, as your link works here and I'm not in North America. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »

No idea, as your link works here and I'm not in North America. ;)
Hmmm.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 11:57:03 PM »
Hmmm.

I guess only the OP can answer this...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

doodledoctor

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
Uninstalled Norton fully, uninstalled avast! fully, reinstalled it and rebooted. Still have the same problem.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
In task manager, after booting and before you manually run Avast, do you see Avast service listed?

When you used the Clean Uninstall Utility for Avast (and the others), did you use those tools under Windows Safe Mode?

In addition, you could try Avast main GUI -> Settings -> troubleshooting -> "load avast services only after loading other system services".

Reboot after the change and give Windows and Avast a couple of minutes before you recheck Avast status.

doodledoctor

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »
In task manager, after booting and before you manually run Avast, do you see Avast service listed?

When you used the Clean Uninstall Utility for Avast (and the others), did you use those tools under Windows Safe Mode?

In addition, you could try Avast main GUI -> Settings -> troubleshooting -> "load avast services only after loading other system services".

Reboot after the change and give Windows and Avast a couple of minutes before you recheck Avast status.

In task manager, as soon as I start my computer and open the task manager "AvastUI.exe*32" is running. It using 116k memory (private working set). However, the icon doesn't show in my taskbar (bottom right corner) and it doesn't update the virus definitions. Thus I don't think it's passively working right now. When I double click the icon, another "AvastUI.exe*32" pops up in my task manager that runs at 3488k.

Yes, I used it under safe mode.

Hey! It worked! I think the "load avast services..." option did it. Thanks you guys! I have never met such an active forum community before. I have close to if not more than 20 comments in this thread in less than 24 hours. I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:58:45 PM by doodledoctor »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »
HAve you checked as to whether or no the icon is hidden ?

On the bottom right of you screen is a little arrow click that and select customise

doodledoctor

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »
Hey! It worked! I think the "load avast services..." option did it. Thanks you guys! I have never met such an active forum community before. I have close to if not more than 20 comments in this thread in less than 24 hours. I appreciate it.

You guys answer so quick that you may have missed my edit of my previous post. Avast! is hidden unless there is a notification.

ady4um

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »
Glad you have your problem solved. I also wonder about essexboy was suggesting about the tray icon being simply hidden.

I just wanted to make it clear that when I mentioned the task manager and Avast service, I was NOT talking about the program "AvastUI.exe" listed under the "Processes" tab of Windows Task Manager. Instead, I was talking about the "Services" tab (hence the wording I used, "Avast service"), where you should have "Avast! Antivirus" listed right after booting.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »

You guys answer so quick that you may have missed my edit of my previous post. Avast! is hidden unless there is a notification.
Glad we could help. Give enough time and user input we can fix almost anything. I am also happy you did not give up. Please take some time and explore the forums for more insight about avast.  :)

If you are satisfied please got to your original post...click modify...in subject heading place in brackets "[Resolved] Avast!doesn't start up"

doodledoctor

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
Hi,

The problem has returned. It's not showing up side bar as running. However, under service in the task manager it does shot it as running. Does this mean it's running, just not showing in the side bar?

ady4um

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »
Hi,

The problem has returned. It's not showing up side bar as running. However, under service in the task manager it does shot it as running. Does this mean it's running, just not showing in the side bar?

So both Avast Antivirus Service and AvastUI.exe Process are active in Windows Task Manager?

Just so we all understand the same language, what do you mean with "side bar" now? We were talking about the tray area icon before, if I understood correctly.

doodledoctor

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
Hi,

So both Avast Antivirus Service and AvastUI.exe Process are active in Windows Task Manager?

Just so we all understand the same language, what do you mean with "side bar" now? We were talking about the tray area icon before, if I understood correctly.

The Avast! service is present and so is AvastUI.exe. However, the exe is only 116k. Yes, I meant the tray area icon. I did not know the correct term for that area.

ady4um

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 06:49:06 PM »
Couldn't be a problem of the tray icon being hidden? The tray icon being hidden is not the same as Avast not running at all.

Look for a cleared area on the task bar (meaning, not over a current program button). Right click on a clear area of the task bar and select "properties". Look for the option to "hide inactive icons in the notification (tray) area" (it might be under a different tab of that "properties" window). UNcheck that option.

This should allow *all* your icons in your tray area to be displayed, even if the program has not been active for a long time. Is now Avast tray icon being displayed?