Author Topic: Avast! doesn't start up  (Read 17496 times)

doodledoctor

Re: Avast! doesn't start up
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »
Couldn't be a problem of the tray icon being hidden? The tray icon being hidden is not the same as Avast not running at all.

Look for a cleared area on the task bar (meaning, not over a current program button). Right click on a clear area of the task bar and select "properties". Look for the option to "hide inactive icons in the notification (tray) area" (it might be under a different tab of that "properties" window). UNcheck that option.

This should allow *all* your icons in your tray area to be displayed, even if the program has not been active for a long time. Is now Avast tray icon being displayed?

I know what you're saying but that option isn't coming up. However, this is a box that states, "always show all icons and notifications." I clicked it and everything popped up, but avast! was missing. It also allows me to do it manually for each program. I went to the avast! program and clicked, "show icons and notifications." A message came up stating "This notification icon is not currently active."

ady4um

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
My next suggestion is really very basic, but we can't be sure if we don't check.

Open Avast (from start menu for example) and from the main GUI go to

Settings

-> basic -> appearance -> "Show avast! tray icon". Is that checkbox checked?

-> Status Bar -> check all.
 -> Troubleshooting -> "enable avast! self defense module" "must" be checked.

If you need to make changes to those settings to match them as requested, please save the settings, and reboot and review that they are still the same as you saved them.

Please report back.

doodledoctor

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 08:58:19 PM »
My next suggestion is really very basic, but we can't be sure if we don't check.

Open Avast (from start menu for example) and from the main GUI go to

Settings

-> basic -> appearance -> "Show avast! tray icon". Is that checkbox checked?

-> Status Bar -> check all.
 -> Troubleshooting -> "enable avast! self defense module" "must" be checked.

If you need to make changes to those settings to match them as requested, please save the settings, and reboot and review that they are still the same as you saved them.

Please report back.

All already checked.

ady4um

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 11:49:02 PM »
If you don't mind about the current configuration of Avast, you may try resetting to "factory defaults".

Avast main GUI -> Settings -> troubleshooting -> Restore Factory Defaults -> check both checkboxes > press the "Reset Now" button.

Save Avast new options (and do not change them now that you have reset them), and reboot (for better troubleshooting).

I'm not sure if resetting the settings by this method can change some "avast.ini" setting related to the tray or the display of Avast, but this is the only procedure I can think about. If this doesn't work, only a full clean reinstall "might" (using the Clear Removal Utility under Windows Safe Mode).

If neither a reset nor a clean install help, then the problem "might" be somewhere else in your system (let's hope not).

doodledoctor

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 07:00:19 AM »
If you don't mind about the current configuration of Avast, you may try resetting to "factory defaults".

Avast main GUI -> Settings -> troubleshooting -> Restore Factory Defaults -> check both checkboxes > press the "Reset Now" button.

Save Avast new options (and do not change them now that you have reset them), and reboot (for better troubleshooting).

I'm not sure if resetting the settings by this method can change some "avast.ini" setting related to the tray or the display of Avast, but this is the only procedure I can think about. If this doesn't work, only a full clean reinstall "might" (using the Clear Removal Utility under Windows Safe Mode).

If neither a reset nor a clean install help, then the problem "might" be somewhere else in your system (let's hope not).

I reset and it's showing up in the tray. I'm going to monitor this for a few days.

doodledoctor

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 04:43:33 AM »

I reset and it's showing up in the tray. I'm going to monitor this for a few days.

After rebooting, it's gone again.

ady4um

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »
After rebooting, it's gone again.
@doodledoctor,

I have suggested to look into all the items I can think that have any kind of influence.

Avast settings, display drivers, gadgets, theme software, screen resolutions, color bits (8 / 16 / 24 / 32 ), dpi font settings, task bar settings, clean uninstall under Safe Mode,...

Of course, even when it "seems" it is not needed, you should reboot after any of those changes to really see the real consequences.

Currently, I'm out of ideas :( .
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:11:11 AM by ady4um »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
Bite the bullet and do a full clean install of the latest beta i think http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1279/setup_av_free.exe i believe you already have the uninstall tool?
Delet avast via remove programs and reboot into safe mode and run the uninstall tool the reboot back into normal mode and run ccleaner then you can install the new beta, see how that goes.
Its also a good idea to do a manual search for any leftovers of norton as even after running there uninstall tool there will still be some stuff there, it pays to run the norton removal tool twice as it's a bugger to get rid of, type Norton in the run bar then see more results then click on computer to do a search, repeat the process again but type in Symantic.
If your comfortable in the registry you can also run searches there under the two name's i listed, i know for a fact there there will be still quite alot in the registry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:29:45 AM by craigb »

doodledoctor

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2011, 05:59:25 PM »
Bite the bullet and do a full clean install of the latest beta i think http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1279/setup_av_free.exe i believe you already have the uninstall tool?
Delet avast via remove programs and reboot into safe mode and run the uninstall tool the reboot back into normal mode and run ccleaner then you can install the new beta, see how that goes.
Its also a good idea to do a manual search for any leftovers of norton as even after running there uninstall tool there will still be some stuff there, it pays to run the norton removal tool twice as it's a bugger to get rid of, type Norton in the run bar then see more results then click on computer to do a search, repeat the process again but type in Symantic.
If your comfortable in the registry you can also run searches there under the two name's i listed, i know for a fact there there will be still quite alot in the registry

:'( Nope. I've realized that everytime I use sleep mode when I move from classroom to classroom, avast! doesn't show up anymore. When I installed the beta and restarted, it didn't show up.
:(

ady4um

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
@doodledoctor,

What screen resolution you use? And your colors (8 / 16 / 24 bits)?

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
Are you completely uninstalling Avast?

Safe mode run uninstall tool select at the top what version of avast to uninstall.
After do a search for any Avast that might be left over also Norton.
If you know how to run regedit you can also look in there for any left over Avast or Norton.
& lay off using tuneup for a day or two

doodledoctor

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
@doodledoctor,

What screen resolution you use? And your colors (8 / 16 / 24 bits)?

1366x768, 32 bit

ady4um

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
@doodledoctor,

Please try the following (you may find little changes according to the specific version of Windows):

1_ Task Manager -> Services -> Avast Antivirus -> Click on the lower button "Services". Choose from the new list of services the one for Avast Antivirus. Right click -> properties -> Startup type SHOULD be "automatic". Please be sure it is (and if not, change and save it, must reboot and review this same setting).

2_ Now Task BAR Properties -> Notification Area -> CHECK "Hide inactive icons" -> Customize -> Select "Avast Antivirus" -> Behavior (column) -> Select from the options: "Show" -> save all options including the properties dialog of the task bar is closed with ok.

3_ Close all your opened programs. Change your resolution (temporarily) to 800x600, still with color quality of 32 bits, and (if your screen display lets you, set the refresh frequency to some value between 60 to 100 Hz (meaning, standard "low" resolutions. Your desktop appearance will change (a lot). Don't panic! And don't start moving any icons. All will be as it was when you change again to your original resolution after the test.

Take a look at the tray area. Do you see your Avast icon under these conditions? If still not, try changing also the color quality from 32 to 24 or 16. Take a look at the tray area. Do you see your Avast icon under these conditions?

4_ Reset all your display settings (resolution, color bits, refresh rates) to the previous values you had. Your desktop should return to show the icons as they were before (if you haven't moved them).

(Note: the resolution of 800x600 is very low for your screen, and it uses a very different relation than yours. It may be difficult to really see something, and it may require from you to temporarily change the settings of your screen from its menu - not only from the graphics settings of your OS. As said, don't panic, be patient, and all will return to be displayed normally once you return to your normal resolution.)

Please report back your results.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:38:34 PM by ady4um »

bilpo

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »
I had the exact same problem as you;the avast animation in the tray icon area all of a sudden stopped appearing upon startup. Turned out that the problem was that a worm interfered with the avast installation and stopped it from fully installing.
Run some scanners to pick up any infections. Run these free scanners:
1. http://www.malwarebytes.org/    (run a full scan)
2. http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads   (download hitmanpro and run a default scan; its very quick)

ady4um

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »
@doodledoctor,

You haven't answered my previous post (with 4 not-so-complicated steps), so I don't know if you are still interested.

Anyway, here is something else you could try so to get your tray icon(s) to work.

1_ Close (as in complete "exit", not only just close the windows of) all programs, specially those with icons in the tray area. For Avast and others that are more "difficult" to close, leave them "as-is". If you have other Windows users logged on simultaneously, log off them (leave only your user open).

2_ Disconnect from the Internet (not completely necessary, but it may help to "clean" the tray icons cache).

3. Open regedit.

4.A For XP :

Code: [Select]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

4.B For Vista / Seven :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

5. (Optionally) In the registry key from step 4, you should find 2 entries:

IconStreams
PastIconsStream

Select both entries, and make a backup of them (optional, but generally recommended).

6. Delete those 2 entries:

IconStreams
PastIconsStream

7. Close regedit, and LOG OFF immediately from Windows.

8_ Wait for the HDD's led to almost stop tilting, and log on again.

Although these are "many" steps, they are not at all complicated, and the procedure should take you a couple of minutes.

This procedure cleans the cache of tray icons for your Windows user.

Please report back your experience.