Author Topic: BSOE on Reboot  (Read 4044 times)

coverland

BSOE on Reboot
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:52:57 PM »
Unless I remember to shutoff Avast, I always get a very frustrating blue screen of death upon any reboot of my XPpro machine.  If I right click Avast and disable the shields control until reboot, I'm fine.  Is there some tweak I can change in user settings to avoid this BSOD on reboot of the machine?  TIA

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: BSOE on Reboot
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:03:45 AM »
Well I don't see how there would be a difference if you 'shutoff' (can you explain exactly what you mean by this?) and reboot. Since avast is a resident scanner it will start up on every boot, so in theory there should be no difference, if you close avast before the reboot.

~~~~
- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file. Not to mention posting the name of the file you uploaded in the topic acts as another searchable reference.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
Or
- Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

####
Excuse if I'm teaching your granny to suck eggs:
- First you have to create your zip file with the unique name, containing the dump files and the readme.txt file, before you even consider connection to the ftp location explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. You do not have read permissions on the explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming location, so you won't see it has been uploaded.

Now you make your first windows explorer connection to the ftp link explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, now open another explorer window where you locate your unique zip file containing the dump and readme.txt files; drag and drop that file into the other explorer window (right hand side), no need to click enter or any other action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

coverland

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:11:08 AM »
Thanks for the info.  In answer to your question, if I install something that requires a reboot of the machine OR if I reboot through START, TURN OFF COMPUTER, RESTART, I'll get the infamous BSOD unless I first right click the Avast icon in the system tray, go to 'Avast! Shields Control', and click one of the four available 'disable' features.

Well I don't see how there would be a difference if you 'shutoff' (can you explain exactly what you mean by this?) and reboot. Since avast is a resident scanner it will start up on every boot, so in theory there should be no difference, if you close avast before the reboot.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.  In answer to your question, if I install something that requires a reboot of the machine OR if I reboot through START, TURN OFF COMPUTER, RESTART, I'll get the infamous BSOD unless I first right click the Avast icon in the system tray, go to 'Avast! Shields Control', and click one of the four available 'disable' features.
<snip>

You're welcome.

So this isn't unique to avast then, but something that happens with other applications that require a reboot after update ?

This would appear to be something else within your system relating to the system restart as you also get it with the restart method outside of application restart requirements (which presumably use the same function).

So I don't know if they will be able to find anything in the BSOD dumps (but I would still send them) if it is related to a general system problem. I too have XP Pro SP3 and frequently use the start, turn off computer, restart without problem.

How long has this been happening when you use the system restart ?
The reason I ask, I see some google hits that some experienced this after a windows update, but I don't know if that was just a single time and consequently it was fine. It has been hard to formulate a google search string that accurately returns information about this, http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=XP+%22turn+off+computer%22+restart+causes+BSOD. This one seems to be closest to your problem, http://windows.bigresource.com/xp-Trying-to-restart-computer-screen-goes-blank-and-wont-restart--fIPrflrO.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

coverland

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:45:27 AM »
Never get the BSOD if I remember to shut off AVAST shields before any restart or reboot.  If I don't and AVAST is active, I usually get BSOD. 

coverland

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:47:30 AM »
Also, I had uninstalled AVAST for this reason once, installed AVG and never had the problem, uninstalled AVG and reinstalled AVAST and back came the problem of reboot and BSOD.  It appears to be somehow associated with AVAST.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »
Also, I had uninstalled AVAST for this reason once, installed AVG and never had the problem, uninstalled AVG and reinstalled AVAST and back came the problem of reboot and BSOD.  It appears to be somehow associated with AVAST.
Have you thoroughly removed all remnants of your previous av's ? run the removal tools for any av's you have used in the past from here http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ then reboot after each uninstall, you may have to do a repair of avast if it has been corrupted by other av's.