Author Topic: Forum activity down?  (Read 4768 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Forum activity down?
« on: August 28, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »
I normally come in just once a day, typically early or mid afternoon Eastern time, and I can remember when the main avast support forum in particular was overflowing to a 2nd or even 3rd page with threads having unread postings.  (I do mark all as read, on the front index page, before leaving.)

The last few weeks or months, however, half a page or so is more typical.  I wasn't in at all yesterday, for whatever reason, and even today there was only a one-topic overflow to the second page.

Are David, Tech, and whoever getting more aggressive in their house-cleaning here?  Or maybe more members are getting the message about searching first before posting a question/problem?  Just curious, since whatever the reason, the difference is quite noticeable.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Forum activity down?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
I don't see it get to more than a page, but I pop on-line frequently, but overall I don't see the activity down.

Our cleaning up of spam may well keep that down, but levels of mass spamming also appear to be lower, though I come across a few chancers. The mass spammer only draws attention to themselves as it sticks out like a sore thumb and are generally dealt with very quickly.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 11:05:13 PM »
Are David, Tech, and whoever getting more aggressive in their house-cleaning here?
No, I just remove spam, not legit posts and threads.

But I have to admit I have much less spare time to be here.
The best things in life are free.

The Seeker

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 11:13:01 PM »
Damn spammers! It's because of them I have to make uninteresting comments such as this to reach twenty posts, thereby unlocking my account settings ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »
Damn spammers! It's because of them I have to make uninteresting comments such as this to reach twenty posts, thereby unlocking my account settings ;)
Did you try to help anybody else? You'll reach 20 and much more posts ;D
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »
maybe...

avast is getting better (i.e. more stable...)
other support methods such as facebook/twitter are making it easier for people to get help...(the facebook page has more followers than people registered here...)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »
I must admit I don't visit the facebook page much (my aversion to all things facebook I guess), so I don't know how they get help there and if it is qualified support.

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:01:28 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:21:59 AM »
Yeah, I think one of the avast team posts there quite a bit.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 12:56:02 AM »

Yeah but they give me something to do--REPORT THE SPAMMERS. ;D
printed on 100% recycled bytes

The Seeker

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 01:23:13 AM »

Ah, so they do serve a purpose!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 03:06:08 AM »
I normally come in just once a day, typically early or mid afternoon Eastern time, and I can remember when the main avast support forum in particular was overflowing to a 2nd or even 3rd page with threads having unread postings.  (I do mark all as read, on the front index page, before leaving.)

The last few weeks or months, however, half a page or so is more typical.  I wasn't in at all yesterday, for whatever reason, and even today there was only a one-topic overflow to the second page.

Are David, Tech, and whoever getting more aggressive in their house-cleaning here?  Or maybe more members are getting the message about searching first before posting a question/problem?  Just curious, since whatever the reason, the difference is quite noticeable.

I've noticed the same thing. It seems that fewer old members show up on a regular basis, there are newer members with questionable motives and skills hanging around, and there's lots of spam at times. It wouldn't surprise me if all those reasons might contribute to a drop in traffic here on the forums.

Edit: Syntax
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:44:50 PM by OrangeCrate »

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »

Ah, so they do serve a purpose!
Especially while sipping tea like you English blokes have a penchant for.  ;)