Author Topic: Ran Free Version- Now Can't Access/Browse Internet  (Read 22483 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Ran Free Version- Now Can't Access/Browse Internet
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
We definitely need to get access to a windows CD as there are probably a lot more corrupt files.  Could you borrow an exernal CD/DVD drive ?

ady4um

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
We definitely need to get access to a windows CD as there are probably a lot more corrupt files.  Could you borrow an exernal CD/DVD drive ?

@Jamec,

I don't remember your OS, but for Seven, MS has a tool to install/repair Windows using USB Flash drives, and it is not hard to set up. There are other similar tools for other versions, but usually are not so "newbie-friendly".

A temporal external drive and CD/DVD of the correct Windows version and edition is possibly the "default" choice (only if it is temporal).

Or you may have some repair/restore partition, but usually this extra hidden partition works by putting all back as "factory default", so you would also need to backup your documents and settings into some other disk.

Jamec

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2011, 06:55:34 AM »
I have windows xp on the notebook.

When I right click on the command prompt within the accessories heading there is no administrator option in the menu.

I'll have to see if I can get a hold of an external cd drive.

Unfortunate for me that this occurred; however, let this be a warning to others that may read this thread. While my computer certainly became infected by a virus, the virus posed no threat to me accessing the internet; only annoying pop ups.

Only after having run the free avast download and selecting to remove the infected files did the damage occur that seems to now require that I reload the operating system.

essexboy and ady4um I certainly appreciate your time and attention, however. I will notify if/when I am able to locate an external cd drive.

Jamec

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2011, 06:58:41 AM »

@Jamec,

I don't remember your OS, but for Seven, MS has a tool to install/repair Windows using USB Flash drives, and it is not hard to set up. There are other similar tools for other versions, but usually are not so "newbie-friendly".

A temporal external drive and CD/DVD of the correct Windows version and edition is possibly the "default" choice (only if it is temporal).

Or you may have some repair/restore partition, but usually this extra hidden partition works by putting all back as "factory default", so you would also need to backup your documents and settings into some other disk.

I've long since taken all valuable data off the notebook and placed it on my external hard drive.

I'd have no hesitation in restoring factory settings as there is nothing for me to lose. I do not know how to perform this task, however.

Thanks for your continued time.

ady4um

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
I've long since taken all valuable data off the notebook and placed it on my external hard drive.

Well, backups might need to include not only documents, but settings too. For example, if you don't want to call your ISP for some configuration data (in some cases, not necessary, but it might). Other classic example are Outlook (or similar) emails, contacts and settings.

I'd have no hesitation in restoring factory settings as there is nothing for me to lose. I do not know how to perform this task, however.

Well, that depends on your specific notebook. Probably the support website of your specific notebook has this info.

JFYI, after Factory Defaults, you would need to (recursively) apply Windows Updates, re-validate your Windows installation and reboot, and then repeat the process until no new Validation is needed and no Updates arise.

After that, install Avast anew, scan with Avast your backup and solve any conflicts, and restore your backup documents.

Next time, when you have an infection, better to send to the chest instead of deleting all files. This action (chest) might not completely solve the problem, but at least it gives a clue about it.