Author Topic: Windows Defender  (Read 9657 times)

naren17

Windows Defender
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
Can Windows Defender provide any extra protection as its antispyware only, with Avast free installed.
Any conflict/compatibility issues?

Thanxx
Naren

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Defender
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »
Personally I have never felt that windows defender brings much to the party.

It also depends on what OS you have as it comes pre-installed on some and you can't uninstall it only disable it.

When asking all of these questions, it will help those trying to answer them if you have a forum profile signature, some basic system information and what security software you already have installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

justchecking

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
I've been running defender with Avast Free, AutoSandbox turned off, no conflicts, machine still fast.

Toshiba Laptop, Firefox 3.6, NoScript, Adblcok plus, don't use IE, Avast Free, McAfee Firewall. Duocore, 3GB ram.

Upgraded to Win 7 32 bit on my own.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
I dont think defender is really necessary, it's slow with poor detection rates and heavy on the system, combine avast with malwarebytes for the best protection imo.

naren17

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »
Personally I have never felt that windows defender brings much to the party.

It also depends on what OS you have as it comes pre-installed on some and you can't uninstall it only disable it.

When asking all of these questions, it will help those trying to answer them if you have a forum profile signature, some basic system information and what security software you already have installed.

I have 2 HP laptops here.

Win 7 64 Bits - Win FW & Avast Free.
Win XP 32 Bits - Win FW & Avast Free.

I cannot use complicated software like HIPS coz the laptops are shared by family users & all the absolute novice. So I thought Windows Defender being only antispyware would not conflict with Avast & I will exclude them in each others settings. And it will be little extra protection. I am for only free software, no paid ones.

Thanxx
Naren

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:38:59 PM »
Why dont you add your systems to your signiture that way they will always be visable.
If you only want free then use malwarebytes free, and you dont need to use exclusions for defender with avast either just the same as no exclusions are needed for the windows firewall and avast.

justchecking

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »
Why dont you add your systems to your signiture that way they will always be visable.
If you only want free then use malwarebytes free, and you dont need to use exclusions for defender with avast either just the same as no exclusions are needed for the windows firewall and avast.

Um. I don't add any exclusions, and everything plays well together in the Security Center for Windows.  Defender works fine, and MBytes will take up more resources.  I have MBam, but haven't needed to do a scan in a while.

PS - your background re defender not living up to task is what?  I just want something gentle.

Now, using Security Essentials from Microsoft is another story - since my Bro in law's computer slows down, and they have some Trojans he hasn't bothered to clean up.  but Defender by itself does what it says it does.

PPS - there a re many forums that REALLY downplay free AV - especially Avast.  Everyone has an opinion - just don't get so dye cast that you can't expand the mind and think that MS MIGHT have improved on a previously inferior product.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »

Um. I don't add any exclusions, and everything plays well together in the Security Center for Windows.  Defender works fine, and MBytes will take up more resources.  I have MBam, but haven't needed to do a scan in a while.

PS - your background re defender not living up to task is what?  I just want something gentle.

Now, using Security Essentials from Microsoft is another story - since my Bro in law's computer slows down, and they have some Trojans he hasn't bothered to clean up.  but Defender by itself does what it says it does.

PPS - there a re many forums that REALLY downplay free AV - especially Avast.  Everyone has an opinion - just don't get so dye cast that you can't expand the mind and think that MS MIGHT have improved on a previously inferior product.
And what resources is the free version of malwarebytes going to use ? none, and the paid version of malwarebytes uses less resources than defender, as to defender doing what it says it does ! which is what ? because iv never seen defender do anything but be obsolete useless rubbish.

naren17

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »
Just did a little test.

Downloaded & saved 23 zeroday malware from malwareblacklist of date 29/08/2011

Avast rightclick scan - 12/23, 11 missed by Avast.

Out of the 12 detected by Avast, Windows Defender detected 2/12.
Out of the 11 missed by Avast, Windows Defender detected 4/11.

So Windows Defender detected 4 zeroday malware not detected by Avast.
I guess not bad since it is Antispyware only.

Can be a good free extra protection with Avast. But I selected to quarantine the threats & it deleted the threats. Only low risk item was quarantined. High risk items were deleted even though selected to quarantine.

Thanxx
Naren

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:02:58 PM by naren17 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:02:54 PM »
You would have to repeat the test with something like MBAM and or SuperAntiSpyware as essentially you are asking about windows defenders capabilities so would have to compare than test in isolation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

naren17

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »
I know Malwarebytes & SuperA are way better than Defender.

I have never tried Defender & I thought it must be having the same Antispyware signatures as in MSE & MSE is not that bad. Just wanted to check if it can detect additional threats than the installed AV & give little extra protection. And I guess it gives little extra protection considering the samples were all sorts of malware & it being Antispyware only.

Thanxx
Naren

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 10:20:55 PM »
All I will say on this subject is who detects eicar.com first?
& who detects eicar--- & who does not in eicarcom2.Zip file this is a double zipped file.
Answers on a post card.
If you want WD go for it. Will cost you nothing.
You want to be more secure use Comodo firewall & comodos dns server

Jack 1000

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
Windows Defender used to be slow on my XP machine and full scans take FOREVER.  At least they do in MSSE.  I have had no problems wih viruses or malware and just use:

Windows XP Firewall
Avast Free AV
Secure Wireless Router/Modem
MBAM Free Version
My WOT (WOT) (for browsing and searching.)

This was since reformatting the hard drive last August.  Computer runs great!

Jack

PS. To Naren 17, Our user, Pondus has a great guide on how to send missed virus samples to Avast.  Thank you!  You should find those samples and send them to the Avast lab, here is how:

How to Send Samples

In Mail:

send to  virus @ avast.com  in a password protected zip.file  ( recomended 7zip or rar )
Mail subject: undetected sample
zip.file password: infected

Sending From Avast Chest:

Moving files to avast! chest
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=501#idt_03

Submitting files from the Virus Chest to avast! Virus Lab
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=501#idt_07

from website - see dropp down menu ( report of undetected malware )

http://www.avast.com/en-no/contact-form.php?loadStyles&subject=SALES

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:33:18 PM by Jack 1000 »

naren17

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »
I just installed it to test if it detects anything or not. Already uninstalled. I dont like having 2 Realtime protection. Nowadays every Antivirus products detects all sorts of malware. And Avast is good for me, good protection, light & no probs.

I have used Comodo Internet Security & its an excellent software. Its just that my family members are average users & they dont understand the popups & all.

Thats why I have installed Avast for them with Windows FW & its quite sufficient protection for them as they just do usual stuffs checking mails, chatting with frds, relatives, etc.

Thanxx
Naren

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
TROUBLE MAKER LOL