Author Topic: random movement of mouse cursor  (Read 15002 times)

Deb

Re:random movement of mouse cursor
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 08:54:06 PM »
Hi,

Jumping in late here and maybe this is totally off the wall - but is it possible that your mouse is sitting where it's not level?  I know - sounds nuts but just thought I'd ask.

As for SP2 - I don't blame you for not wanting to install it.  I won't touch it w/a 10ft pole.  I have heard of to many things not working anymore after an install of it and also someone at work installed it on one of the puters there and the results were so bad the entire thing had to be reformatted to get rid of that monster!  So, ol' Bill can take SP2 and put it where the sun don't shine far as I'm concerned.  To help w/security issues that SP2 is supposed to fix I switched to the Firefox browser for most things only using IE5 when absolutely necessary and also never, never, NEVER use any Outlook product.   I wish you luck if you decide to install it and hope you don't have problems other than not being able to view movies.

I know some people just love it but I'm not willing to take the chance.

Deb

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2004, 12:52:42 AM »
Completely untrue, and still... those people that hates Bill and Microsoft are sooooo out of line this time... don't install SP2, no one is forcing you, but telling such a stories... it's just a nonsense...

Back it up first and than jump to conclusions ! Nothing is wrong in here, every single program that I had before is up and running without any single glitch... and I'm in this business for the last 19 years...

Sometimes (70%) it's just up to user who doesn't know what is he doing. User errors are soooo common these days. Everyone thinks he knows something about security, OSes, Networking and he didn't even try to inform himself little bit better about it... reading is wisdom  ;) If you don't know how to find some answers to your questions yourself, then ask. Nothing is wrong in asking...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 01:00:36 AM by S.Z.C »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2004, 04:32:58 AM »
Pleople, in this forum we respect the others.
Please, stop talking this way about Microsoft, Symantec, etc.
These are serious companies, hard work technicians...
Please, let's talk about what we really know, facts and not sentiments and hoaxes.
Well, this is my opinion  8)
The best things in life are free.

Deb

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2004, 07:11:04 AM »
Ok, let me first start off by apologizing for calling SP2 a monster.  I'm sorry I offended anyone, that was not my intention and was a poor choice of words.  I'm sorry.

Secondly, I was not bashing Microsoft and am not amongst those that hate Microsoft or Bill Gates.  I love my XP.  So, please do not include me in the Hate Group and please do not put words in my mouth that I did not say.

Third ...  it is a cold hard fact that Outlook versions and Internet Explorer are many times the ones the virus makers direct their passion for destruction at.  If you look at many many many virus warnings - the warnings plainly state they affect Outlook versions and/or Internet Explorer.  I have yet to see a virus warning that states "if you use input another email client/browser here" you will be affected.  Granted viruses can affect us all no matter what we use, however the many warnings I've seen are most times inclusive of Microsoft products.  This is not bad-mouthing nor am I making up a story or talking sentiments, I'm stating what I've seen.  I can also tell you from years of experience, I have yet to have a virus affect/infect my email program. I contribute this to two things: 1) I do not use any version of Outlook products and 2) I keep a good anti-virus and firewall in place.  Yet, I know of at least one person who had a good anti-virus program and firewall and used a version of Outlook and their email got hit anyway.  I'm not saying I'm immune, but I do contribute my good fortune to the two practices I outlined that I use as safeguards.

You wish people to speak of facts and what we really know, I can tell you that I was speaking from fact and what I know.  I urge you to not only bring to my attention (and others like me) that have said something derogitory (as I have apologized for already) about any product or company ... but to bring to the attention of those that blatently tell people (many of whom are inexperienced users) to "install SP2 you won't be sorry" kind of thing to temper their enthusiam with caution.  I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of people who have installed SP2 with favorable results. But yet there are just as many users who  have installed SP2 with anything from minor annoyances to horrendous results.  The information I provided was not a story it was fact.  Installation of SP2 *did* render a computer at work totally useless and it had to be reformatted to get rid of all the problems.  I was there, I saw the results and these results were a direct affect of the installation of SP2.  They even called in a technician who worked on it for two days straight before the decision was made to reformat as there was apparently no other hope.

People who have installed SP2 with favorable results - GOOD FOR YOU!  I'm truly happy for you.  But please, just blindly telling people to "go ahead you won't be sorry" do you have any idea the problems these people could potentially have?  I urge you to use more caution in your suggestions to install it.  You claim that the reason it doesn't work for some people is that they "don't know what they're doing."  I'm sorry, I don't agree with that and I find it offensive as well.  That's telling anyone and everyone that if they installed SP2 and had problems that they don't know what they are doing. Many knowledgeable people have installed it and had problems with it.

It's known to incompatible with some drivers and software programs - sometimes one has to get new driver/s which many times are not available any longer if they have older equipment. They may be faced with having to uninstall (which doesn't always work properly) or buying new hardware and if they are not financially able to do this, they are in a world of hurt.  As for software, many times one must come up with workarounds because of the affects SP2 has had on a program.  I don't know about you, but I have a business to run and I don't need to be spending time trying to fix the software I need to run my business because SP2 or any other upgrade for that matter, interferes with the software I need to run my business.  

So, instead of just blindly telling people to go ahead and install it, you might want to temper these kinds of comments telling them to FIRST check out their system, hardware and software specs and research their particular system setup before installing.  Even doing this, there is no guarantee SP2 is going to work properly or not.

There are thousands of users out there who trust and believe that every tech support (and or the boards they found the information on whether posted by a product techie or not) knows it all.  This is impossible and would require any tech support to be super-human.  No one person or no one tech support for any product can possibly know it all.  Yet, newbies and the inexperienced ones think of you (and those that post even if you're not a tech for the product) as Gods and will just do as you tell them to.  SP2 does *not* work for everybody else.  If a user that has installed SP2 on an enthusiastic "go for it" comments and winds up with problems - is that tech/poster going to be able to provide assistance in fixing it?  More than likely not because their tech support is limited only to their product and they do not support other products which is only right as they are only required to be "experts" in their own product.  Plus, they are not being paid to support someone else's product.  OR, the poster of the "go get the upgrade" comments is just another user but the newbie doesn't know this. The user is left on their own with issues they don't know where to begin to fix and you can bet they are blaming the person who told them to "go for it."  Their word of mouth can kill off business to the company the tech works for simply because they followed the tech's "instructions" to upgrade.  If it was another user who posted the comments (many people don't know the difference between the two) that poster is in fact endangering the reputation of the product the comments were posted on.

In this case the originator of this post had already installed SP2 and had at least one problem.  She said she would rather not install it again.  I admire her caution.  Watching her movies was imiportant to HER and she could no longer watch them after installing SP2.  I would be cautious, too.  Plus I count her amongst the lucky group who only experienced one problem after installing.

The person who said that no one is twisting people's arms to install SP2 is right.  The final decision lies w/the owner of the computer.  However, inexperienced users are swayed heavily by what they are told on tech support boards and what they hear elsewhere.  Even Microsoft has changed their update area so that one cannot pick and choose the updates they want to select.  When I go there, there is no longer a list of Hotfixes but instead one button to click which will (it appears) update me to SP2. The opportunity to make decisions about what I want installed on my computer has been taken away from me and I find that totally unacceptable.  This is how many people wind up with SP2 even if they didn't go to the Update section to get SP2.  They unknowngly download a total update when maybe all they want is an update or fix for one issue they are experiencing.  But their choices are gone because the list of updates is gone.  Wrong wrong wrong in my opinion. What's left is an all or nothing option.  You either install SP2 in it's entirety or you don't install at all is what I'm seeing when I visit the Update Center.  I find that unacceptable.

The bottom line here is this, I understand you do not wish people to badmouth other companies on these boards.  I as a user wish that (especially for the sake of newbies) you do not promote updating to *anything* (SP2 or otherwise) unless it's your own product you're promoting for upgrade.  Also, please do not tell people that they do not know what they are doing if SP2 doesn't work for them as that is not always the case.

Thank you,
Deb
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 07:17:08 AM by Deb »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2004, 11:44:53 AM »
Let's get back to the topic. What about the mouse? Have you tried another (serial mouse) and was it working?

note: Only thing I'm gonna say about the rest. Almost all people who have "troubles" with sp2, do not take the time to familiarize with it or have outdated hard-/software. That is not the fault of sp2, but of the users. People do not drive their cars when the tires are flat, engine busted, doors falling out. They replace it. They should do the same with system. At a certain point it is needed to upgrade. And you don't hear all those millions that don't have any problem shouting "it is working", that's and the fact that there is a growing aversion against companies like MS is why it looks like many have problems.

Having said this. Let's stick to the topic. Think of what others would think of this board who read this all in one of the help sections!!!

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2004, 01:11:57 PM »
I won't spend someone's time writing such a huge message. But, look at here:
As for SP2 - I don't blame you for not wanting to install it.  I won't touch it w/a 10ft pole.  I have heard of to many things not working anymore after an install of it and also someone at work installed it on one of the puters there and the results were so bad the entire thing had to be reformatted to get rid of that monster!]As for SP2 - I don't blame you for not wanting to install it.  I won't touch it w/a 10ft pole.  I have heard of to many things not working anymore after an install of it and also someone at work installed it on one of the puters there and the results were so bad the entire thing had to be reformatted to get rid of that monster!

"Won't touch it with a 10ft pole" ? Wasn't that offensive ? I'm computer technician and that's my profession. I never force people to install something that is not reliable. I never advise people to upgrade to some huge, major change before they do backup of whole system. Everyone should know that by now... backup will save you million times. Eddy said well... users needs to take care of what they are doing. You can't just go with SP2 dwonload and proceed with instalation just like it is some of your little freeware programs we're talking about. You need to do some checkings... thanks God for internet, you can find info regarding any driver, card, or anything else. You can not just go and install it and blindly believe that this will solve all of your problems. You need to put yourself into it. Microsoft wouldn't release something officialy, that is not checked million times before. Of course, people will always find something to complain. Isn't always like that ? SP1 is safer ? I don't now anything about that. We all are aware of all those complains from the past. Linux ? They found so huge security hole in Linux as well... what is secure today ? Your common sense...

In this case the originator of this post had already installed SP2 and had at least one problem.  She said she would rather not install it again.  I admire her caution.  Watching her movies was imiportant to HER and she could no longer watch them after installing SP2.  I would be cautious, too.

Well, she/he doesn't have those problems any more ? How is it possible ? Maybe he/she didn't do something properly when he/she installed SP2 first time ? The facts is, SP2 has nothing to do with your DivX codecs. Even if for some reason, something doesn't work properly, reinstallation of codecs or some drivers in general wouldn't hurt. If you switch from Windows to Linux, you think everything should work ? No... of course Linux is completely different OS, but that's just example. If you make some major changes to your system, be prepared to work on it... there is no guaranty that it will work perfect on everyones system, 'cause people like to "mix" all kind of third party hardware in their computers just to go few dollars "cheaper". There is no magic stick that will make everything for you... you need to do something sometimes instead of just blindly waiting that computer will do everything for you.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 01:34:48 PM by S.Z.C »

DukeNukem

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2004, 02:53:57 PM »
I can also tell you from years of experience, I have yet to have a virus affect/infect my email program. I contribute this to two things: 1) I do not use any version of Outlook products and 2) I keep a good anti-virus and firewall in place.  Yet, I know of at least one person who had a good anti-virus program and firewall and used a version of Outlook and their email got hit anyway.  I'm not saying I'm immune, but I do contribute my good fortune to the two practices I outlined that I use as safeguards.

And I have been using Outlook / Outlook Express for years and never have had any problems.

I contribute this to keeping it updated with the latest patches, using anti virus software and a firewall.

In other words Common Sense.

Plus now with many ISP's scanning emails the chances of getting a virus related problem are even less.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 02:57:02 PM by DukeNukem »

JallaTryne

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2004, 05:58:27 PM »
Hi all!
Well, I have not tried with another mouse, as I do not have one..:(  But I feel somewhat more at ease as long as I think of it as a hardware problem.

BUT, problems never end. I am sorry if you get tired of me. On startup I never seem to get a netconnection. It turns out svchost.exe takes 95+ of my resources, and it will never end. I also have 4 svchost.exe processes running simultaneously...  (only one using the CPU). I did a restore point to a place I know was OK, but still it is there. I can terminate the svchost.exe process that swamp my resources, and finally I am back on the net. What is this, and how can I stop it fromrunning at boot?

Regards
JT

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2004, 06:13:24 PM »
Never ever terminate svchost.exe !!! It represents all the services running in your computer. You can always type this:
tasklist -svc
in the command prompt to get a list of services running on your machine.

See here:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/svchost/

Always before taking some actions, do some searching on Google. Better safe than sorry !

As far as 4 instances of svchost goes, just take a look at my attachment and don't worry at all...

EDIT: Sorry there is one more up there but I forgot to put a cirlce around it...

EDIT 2: I just marked that one too... so it makes 6 of them now...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 06:20:23 PM by S.Z.C »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2004, 06:16:53 PM »
I just found this:

Why is SVCHOST using 99% of my CPU? Chances are you have a virus. Several viruses manifest as problems with SVCHOST -- typically it either faults, or eats CPU time as in this question. It's proving a challenge for everyone to repair, while most anti-virus programs can detect the viruses, not all are doing the job to clean it up. Reader comments following the article svchost.exe has generated an error - now what do I do? have been particularly helpful in guiding many folks to a resolution.

So, go to Housecall online scanner and scan your computer ASAP... just to be sure. Also, your weird problems with mouse pointer... If I were you, I would go to Housecall right away...

here is the link:
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 06:18:12 PM by S.Z.C »

JallaTryne

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2004, 07:13:41 PM »
Housecall did find a worm immedialtely: worm-agobot-2. It is still running..(Housecall that is). But I am a little dissapointed that neither Avast, A-squared or Spybot found this.

Right now it has added 4 viruses, all non-removable. The 'funny' thing is that 3 of these reside in the HOSTS file. How is that possible, as they are merely text files? (Infected with DOS AGOBOT.GEN).

As for the tasklist command, It was not recognised as a internal command...

JT
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 07:41:42 PM by JallaTryne »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2004, 08:52:36 PM »
Housecall did find a worm immedialtely: worm-agobot-2. It is still running..(Housecall that is). But I am a little dissapointed that neither Avast, A-squared or Spybot found this.

Well, that is another story, you should ask guys from Alwil, 'cause I'm not the competent to give an answer.

As for the tasklist command, It was not recognised as a internal command...

What version of Windows you have ?

Don't type it in RUN command, open your DOS window instead (Command Propt) and type it in there. I'm not sure is this suppose to work on Windows 98/ME... see my attchment to see results...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 08:54:02 PM by S.Z.C »

JallaTryne

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2004, 12:41:27 AM »
Im running XP SP2. Tasklist is not in the WINDOWS folder. Probably something for Professional edt. only?

JT

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2004, 01:00:46 AM »
Tasklist.exe should be in Windows/System32 subfolder, but you don't have to type full path in command prompt. If you take a look at my screenshot again, you'll see that I was in documents folder while I was typing tasklist command... it doesn't really matter...

Oh, sorry I just read that you have Windows XP Home Edition... tasklist comes in Windows Professional edition only... sorry again...

Anyway, you can click here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.htm

Read everything that is written on that page, and also, you'll find a link where you can download tasklist.exe. Just place it in your Windows/System32 subfolder and you are ready to use tasklist.exe command... just like you have Win Professional edition.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 01:05:56 AM by S.Z.C »