Author Topic: turn off boot time scan  (Read 4126 times)

evs

turn off boot time scan
« on: November 05, 2004, 04:09:58 AM »
i just got avast! 4 home last night. it straight away found a trojan but couldnt clean it because the file was in use, it asked me if i wanted to turn on the boot time scan to clean the file before it was loaded, so i did this. now i can't turn off the boot time scan.

i found the "schedule boot time scan" option in the menu, but there is no way to turn it off...

also, the avast! system tray icon seems to have disappeared. is there a way to get that back?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:turn off boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 04:14:00 AM »
Boot time scan is a one time event. When it is finished, it is not scheduled anymore.

the avast! system tray icon seems to have disappeared. is there a way to get that back?
Have you already rebooted to see if the icons come back?
Is Avast still running? (check taskmanager)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 04:14:48 AM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:turn off boot time scan
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 11:59:26 AM »
i just got avast! 4 home last night. it straight away found a trojan but couldnt clean it because the file was in use, it asked me if i wanted to turn on the boot time scan to clean the file before it was loaded, so i did this. now i can't turn off the boot time scan. i found the "schedule boot time scan" option in the menu, but there is no way to turn it off...

You can run ashSimpl.exe from avast folder. Right click the skin and schedule the boot time scanning again. You will be prompted with a question that allow you to disable the scanning.

Also, the avast! system tray icon seems to have disappeared. is there a way to get that back?

This seems worse but can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
The best things in life are free.