Author Topic: Avast Free 6 on XP SP-3 issue: Web Shield blocks Internet Access  (Read 4583 times)

tcw

It took me a while to figure this out:

After installing Avast Free 6, I can't go anywhere in FireFox or IE. Firewall shut off completely.

I eventually disabled the Web Shield, and now I can get out to the Internet. Uninstalled and re-install Avast, no good, problem is still there. So, for now, I just have to leave Web Shield disabled.

With the Web Shield enabled, web sites eventually time out. In IE, after a while, it offers to do Diags, and HTTP/HTTPS and FTP all fail.

Is this a known issue?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Free 6 on XP SP-3 issue: Web Shield blocks Internet Access
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:35:54 AM »
Yes, it is a known issue that firewalls block avast's avastSvc.exe, which would block internet connectivity as it is blocking the web shield.

HTTPS shouldn't fail as the web shield doesn't monitor https secure encrypted traffic.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

If you have the XP firewall this shouldn't be an issue as it has ZERO outbound firewall protection. So it is likely to be something else.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tcw

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 04:52:19 AM »
Yes, it is a known issue that firewalls block avast's avastSvc.exe, which would block internet connectivity as it is blocking the web shield.

XP Firewall was OFF totally.

HTTPS shouldn't fail as the web shield doesn't monitor https secure encrypted traffic.

Well, that's what the IE diagnostic reported...

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Firewall was the XP firewall... NO outgoing scrutiny.

If you have the XP firewall this shouldn't be an issue as it has ZERO outbound firewall protection. So it is likely to be something else.

NOPE... It WAS Avast's Web Shield, as I stated. Every time I turn Web Shield on, I can't go anywhere... When I turned it off, I can surf normally. I've done it multiple times to verify this. In BOTH Firefox and IE.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This unit had Norton, but I removed it. Web access was fine until I installed Avast. Never seen this issue before, and I've been using Avast since version 4.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »
First, you could try using the appropriate removal utility for the specific AV you used to had (even if was a long time ago). Check for some removal tools at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/, download it, then reboot into Windows Safe Mode and run it under that condition.

Once again in Normal Mode, got to Avast main GUI -> Web shield (activate it) -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browsers only".

Please reboot, test and report back.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »

NOPE... It WAS Avast's Web Shield, as I stated. Every time I turn Web Shield on, I can't go anywhere... When I turned it off, I can surf normally. I've done it multiple times to verify this. In BOTH Firefox and IE.

Unfortunately not always correct as when there is conflict, removing one part of the conflict resolves it, but it doesn't find the true culprit. I would certainly advise the Norton removal tool as suggested as a first port of call.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tcw

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
Used the Norton Removal Tool, STILL no effect. Problem is still present...

Any other ideas? :-)

tcw

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »
Once again in Normal Mode, got to Avast main GUI -> Web shield (activate it) -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browsers only".

Please reboot, test and report back.

This seems to have solved the issue... In previous versions this was not necessary...

Also tested with Google Chrome... OK

Thanks for the help everyone...