Author Topic: Avast.....Right click and scan!  (Read 4406 times)

Tipton

Avast.....Right click and scan!
« on: November 05, 2004, 03:18:27 AM »
I have been concerned with how well Avast is at scanning files when I right click and scan. I use Avast heavily in this area, and am discovering that it does not do that well of a job.....or maybe it does and I am missing something somewhere.  Yes I do know that the resident scanner will pick up a virus when it tries to run on my system.  However, my goal is to find a virus before it has a chance to get on my system. Ok, out of curiousity, I have installed the new AVG 7 beta, to give it a test  on my fav AV ability.....to right click and scan files. For example, I run Nero 6 on my system.  The exe that I used to install Nero, is a fat file full of info. When I use Avast to right click and scan, it returns results saying that is scanned 2 objects.  Same results if I use the main GUI and scan through that with scan archives enabled. Now, if I use the AVG 7 beta, and right click and scan the same Nero exe, AVG picks that exe apart, and scans the entire contents. You can see during the scan all the different files inside the exe that AVG is scanning.  Matter of fact, see my screeny, it shows that AVG scanned 493 objects in that Nero exe. Can someone please explain whats going on between Avast and AVG during a scan on the same exe??  I don't want this to turn into a defensive argument for Avast.  I am just wanting to know why it seems Avast is not doing that good of a job during  a scan on exe files I download from the internet. This function is one of the most important for me with any AV.

Thanks

Tipton
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 03:20:38 AM by Tipton »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast.....Right click and scan!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 10:05:25 AM »
Well, it seems that avast! simply doesn't support the format of the Nero installer.
I just checked the file and it's a WinRAR archive with a custom SFX header - which is quite long. So, the actual RAR file is appended much farther than it is usually...
I'll try to do something about it - but the fact is that the bigger part of the file will be checked by avast! for RAR header, the slower the scanning will be.

Tipton

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 04:10:09 PM »
Well, it seems that avast! simply doesn't support the format of the Nero installer.
I just checked the file and it's a WinRAR archive with a custom SFX header - which is quite long. So, the actual RAR file is appended much farther than it is usually...
I'll try to do something about it - but the fact is that the bigger part of the file will be checked by avast! for RAR header, the slower the scanning will be.

Thanks for the reply Igor! My concern is that I run into the same thing with alot of exe's that I download. I went through alot of my exe files that I have in a folder, and right clicked and scanned each one. Avast returns that one objects were scanned on alot of them. Yes one object....the exe. What I need scanned though, are all the objects contained in that exe!! I personally am not concerned with a speed drop during scanning. If thats what it takes to do a thorough job, then so be it. I usually walk away from my PC on full system scans anyway, because I don't like to use my PC during a full system scan. If the right click scan takes longer....thats not a concern for me.

Thanks again for the reply!

Tipton
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 04:21:40 PM by Tipton »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 04:49:39 PM »
Well, you will never get "all the objects" in all the exe files. avast! supports only some of the archive formats; there are many other installers out there that avast! is not able to unpack.

The Nero executable is sort of special; it is WinRAR archive (i.e. one of the supported ones); however, it's somehow strange - e.g. Total Commander also doesn't open it as RAR archive (and it usually works without problems).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 05:25:30 PM »
Opened the Nero installer in Winrar > tools menu > scan.
Result: 220 files scanned with ashquick.
Extracted the installer and counted the files. Turns out to be 220 :-)

Tipton

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 12:06:14 AM »
Opened the Nero installer in Winrar > tools menu > scan.
Result: 220 files scanned with ashquick.
Extracted the installer and counted the files. Turns out to be 220 :-)

Now if we can just get Avast to do that without Winrar!

Tipton

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 12:51:30 AM »
ok, we'll probably do some improvements to v4.5

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software