Author Topic: update problem.  (Read 3030 times)

SpaceMuffin

update problem.
« on: September 01, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »
well, Avast reports that the Virus Definitions and the program itself is out of date.

but here are the problems...  

"Latest Virus Definitions: 000000-0
Last Update Attempt: 1/1/1970 8:00AM"

as for the program updates..

"Latest Program Version: 0.0.0"

here's a screenshot to be more specific:
http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/penguinwithm4a1sopmod/?action=view&current=wtf.png&newest=1

any fix for this?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:08:30 PM by SpaceMuffin »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: update problem.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
is your computer time / day / month Year correct ?.... if not adjust and reboot

have you tried avast repair! ?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

SpaceMuffin

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:10:19 PM »
yes, i can fully confirm that the time/date is correct.

also, posted a link to a screenshot regarding the problem.  the OS i'm using is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:12:00 PM by SpaceMuffin »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
did you try repair and reboot ?

SpaceMuffin

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »
i tried the repair thing by right clicking on the program inside Add/Remove programs. it says "Uninstall/Change", and i click on it.

but nothing happens.

i'm stumped.  ???

will downloading a new setup instead help?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
what AV did you have before installing avast ?
have you uninstalled it ?
have you run a removal tool to clear all leftovers ?

if not you can find it here  http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/

if the above is OK try a new install, remove it with this  http://www.avast.com/en-no/uninstall-utility  reboot and install again

SpaceMuffin

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:17:33 AM »
actually, this is the only AV that i used so far since upgrading to Windows 7.  i didn't have problems with it since installing it back in May.. until now, that is. heck, i used Avast as my only AV as well when i was still using XP.

also, downloaded a new setup file and i tried running it and this comes up.

"C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\setiface.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error"

i already ran a SFC scan and there aren't any problems with the file system. also did a full system scan and there aren't any threats.  

and all my programs run fine. but strangely enough, Avast still seems to function. it runs, all the protection shields are running.

the update is the only problem.

anyway, i'll give the uninstall utility a shot.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:21:32 AM by SpaceMuffin »

SpaceMuffin

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:55:27 AM »
actually, this is the only AV that i used so far since upgrading to Windows 7.  i didn't have problems with it since installing it back in May.. until now, that is. heck, i used Avast as my only AV as well when i was still using XP.

also, downloaded a new setup file and i tried running it and this comes up.

"C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\setiface.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error"

i already ran a SFC scan and there aren't any problems with the file system. also did a full system scan and there aren't any threats.  

and all my programs run fine. but strangely enough, Avast still seems to function. it runs, all the protection shields are running.

the update is the only problem.

anyway, i'll give the uninstall utility a shot.

EDIT: the Uninstaller did the trick! and that new setup file i DL'ed? it works like a charm now. managed to install a fresh copy of Avast Free edition! :)

but since my internet is slower than a snail right now, i went for the offline registration. :P

Cheers.  ;D