Author Topic: I scanned but Avast tells me I didn't  (Read 4026 times)

Deb

I scanned but Avast tells me I didn't
« on: November 05, 2004, 06:35:44 AM »
Hello,

When I open the GUI for Avast there is a line that is to indicate the Date of Last Scan.  I did a scan last night, pre-upgrade to version 4.5.  After I did the scan Avast still showed: Not Done Yet in both the Date of Last Scan and Virus Recovery Data.  After the upgrade it is still showing Not Done Yet.  

I have done a couple boot scans and one scan from Windows (the second took forever it seemed!) so I know I've scanned but it would be helpful later on to know the date I last scanned.  How do I make it show the date?

What is Virus Recovery Database (VRDB) and how do I do this task?  I have updated the virus definitions if that is what this is for, it's not showing the date done.

Me be mighty powerful confused!

Thank you,
Deb

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:I scanned but Avast tells me I didn't
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 12:34:41 PM »
Deb, can you browse the FAQ on my signature... There are the answers for your questions. Shortly here:

Date of Last Scan should be Date of the last full disk scan.
Virus Recovery Database (VRDB) works automatically and only when a file repair is needed.
The best things in life are free.

Deb

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 09:05:46 PM »
Well, I must be truly blind.  I have tried 6-8 searches on various things involving this topic (including "Technical" which is the signature I believe you are talking about)  in both the FAQ section and the forum and have not come up with anything that tells me how to get my Avast to show the last scan date.

Thank you for the info on the VRDB.

Deb

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 09:17:52 PM »

Deb

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 09:23:44 PM »
Ahhhhh, ok this might make some sense to me now.  The scan I ran off of this did my C drive and was doing my G (external hard drive that I use for backups only) and I quit the scan on G drive somewhere mid-stream as it was taking FOREVER as I had alot of files on there I really could do w/o.  I cancled it and that may be why it doesn't show a date as it never finished.

Thank you.  I will have to do a new scan apparently - but my poor puter has been scanned so much over the past 3 days trying to get Avast working right and updating etc that I think the poor thing needs a scan break!  I will see what happens if I let it finish totally on both drives.

I wonder why when I searched the FAQ's and the boards here under the same topic and close matches that it didn't turn up diddly squat for results.  I really did try before posting.

Deb
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 09:29:58 PM by Deb »

Deb

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 09:46:35 PM »
Oh.  I guess that I misunderstood you.  My apologies and thank you =)

You all have been VERY helpful and I'm amazed at how quickly questions get answered here.  I love your boards (style, quick loading etc).  

Although I've had some issues getting Avast working I got lots of FAST help and things seem to be straightened out now.  I needed an alternative to Norton, tried AVG and had problems there that I didn't want to deal with any longer. Didn't even want to consider McAffee or some others.  I believe I have found the alternative with Avast.  I will have to thank the gal that told me about your program.

I think it is wonderful that people/organizations like you provide free programs for something so important as anti-virus issues.  You allow people like me on a tight budget to solve the problem and help keep our puters clean and working right without crunching our wallets.  I just want to tell you that I appreciate all your hard work and dedication to making thing work.

When my Mom's Norton subscription runs out in Feb I will be planning on switching her to Avast.  Anyone that inquires of me on good anti-virus program I will tell them about yours.  

Thank you again for everything.

Deb

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 10:04:57 PM »
When my Mom's Norton subscription runs out in Feb I will be planning on switching her to Avast.  Anyone that inquires of me on good anti-virus program I will tell them about yours.

Don't you wish the best to your mother?  ;D
Joking, I stopped NAV two years ago. Go to AVG and then avast!
Now, of course, I don't want to change  8)
The best things in life are free.

Deb

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 10:18:29 PM »
Yes, I do wish my Mom the best.  However, my Mom is ummmm "frugal" ;)  ... and since she paid for her Norton until Feb she's not about to give up three paid months.  

I did just let one of my designer lists know about Avast so the word is already spreading from me.

Deb