Author Topic: Free version on new pc  (Read 2448 times)

Boothbay

Free version on new pc
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:53:22 PM »
I've downloaded the latest free version on my new net book. Do i have to register, although i may now want to keep it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free version on new pc
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
Yes you have to register it to use beyond the 30day trial.

From the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration section, complete the short form and you're registered for a year, repeat the process after a year, still free.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
If you have used Norton 30 day trial use the Norton removal tool & do a search for any Norton left over.

DarkMasters

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »
If you have used Norton 30 day trial use the Norton removal tool & do a search for any Norton left over.

Since the OP says it's a new netbook then most certainly the OP should remove any antivirus (it's not limited to Norton, I've come across notebook pre-install with McAffee and Kaspersky) which came pre-installed by manufacturer whether the OP use the trial period or not.

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
I have found that the newer versions of Norton (since 2009 at least) uninstall very cleanly and do not require the use of the removal tool at all. Running it can't hurt anything though. It actually wouldn't even run on this machine and had to be shut down manually. A search of the system after just the regular uninstall routine and a registry clean by CCleaner found nothing that would cause any problems with any other security software.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »
I stopped using Norton in 2006 I thought it was a very good program & is still one of the top contenders.
Maybe it was too bloated back then but protected well.
You are right about Norton uninstalling but just as a precaution all traces of Norton or any other program should be fully removed.
Even after doing a uninstall & search, I bet Norton file is still in the registry whether it’s empty or not is another matter.
Norton used to do removal tools for their different products so maybe you tried the wrong removal tool, or maybe not, in safty mode is the way to go.
I suggested Norton on this guy’s computer because Norton is still one of the most popular with Mcaffee

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »
Norton is still one of the most popular with Mcaffee

They may be two of the most popular. Being the best choice is a whole other subject.
The reason these two (Norton and MacAfee) are pre-installed is due to contracts with the manufacturer. Which means the producer of the end product (computer) gets a cut whenever someone buys a subscription to the anti-virus software. Doesn't make it right, it is how it is.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security