Author Topic: More Skin Problems  (Read 4960 times)

a61_a61

More Skin Problems
« on: November 05, 2004, 06:23:54 PM »
I just noticed another problem with one of the skins I use.  It has to do with the menus again.

I don't usually use the menu to select the sub menu items such as to scan but when I did try it the menu will not stick.

See movie http://www.bfbchemet.com/skins-1.wmv

It does it with all the skins I have!

a61

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 06:28:44 PM by a61 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:More Skin Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 06:32:37 PM »
It is working fine with all the skins I have.
Try a repair of Avast. See if that solves it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 06:33:17 PM by Eddy »

a61_a61

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 06:37:11 PM »
Just did it...no dice, still the same. :(

a61

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »
Is this the only problem you are having with the system? (not only with Avast)
Is the system clean from malware?
Have you tried a uninstall (using the util from the website) and a clean install?
Anything in Avast's log file, event log or system log?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 06:54:10 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 07:11:49 PM »
a61, I know it's not the solution but if you left click the menu won't you 'freeze' it at right and could use the other menu?

Click over the words 'Start Scan' or 'Updating' and see if you can choose the sub-menu at right...
The best things in life are free.

a61_a61

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 08:23:41 PM »
I found the problem on my PC.  I don't like the Windows default menu speed...too slow for me...I like the menus to open fast.  I changed the menu speed on my PC's so it's fast, instead of the slower default setting.  I have zero problems with any programs on my PC's with fast menu speed.  I slowed down the menu speed and avast skins are fine after that with a slow speed.

I changed it back to the faster speed because IMO I like it that way.  I will just have to live with it in avast since it's the only program that's affected by fast menus. (I do think the skins still may have a problem because of this.  I'm just thinking this because it's the only program that acts like this).

I think Default Windows setting is:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"MenuShowDelay"="400"

I have mine set:
"MenuShowDelay"="0"

a61
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 08:31:53 PM by a61 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 08:30:13 PM »
Proove is here. Avast is faster than other applications ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 09:55:30 PM »
...I don't like the Windows default menu speed...too slow for me...I like the menus to open fast.  I changed the menu speed on my PC's so it's fast, instead of the slower default setting.  I have zero problems with any programs on my PC's with fast menu speed.  I slowed down the menu speed and avast skins are fine after that with a slow speed.

I changed it back to the faster speed because IMO I like it that way.  I will just have to live with it in avast since it's the only program that's affected by fast menus. (I do think the skins still may have a problem because of this.  I'm just thinking this because it's the only program that acts like this).

I think Default Windows setting is:
"MenuShowDelay"="400"

I have mine set:
"MenuShowDelay"="0"

a61

I have to say that skins doesn't have to do anything with this issue. Just because of the fact that we can not control those settings when we make skins. We just make graphics and movements (sliding panel animations). That's something that has something to do with code itself. I believe Alwil can check why is that happening.

In the mean time, why don't you set your settings in registry like I set mine ? See attachment... I don't like Windows default menu slow speed, so I set mine to lower value, although I didn't go so low like you did. I didn't set to zero. I set mine to 92 and believe me it's much much faster than before.

Also, I'm not sure are those problems on your PC related to this MENU speed value. I just set mine to zero (0) and everything works just great. I'm asking everyone to do that just for testing purposes and we'll see how many people are really having these problems. If I have a program for recording a short movie from my desktop like a61 has, I would post a link in here, but unfortunately I don't have it...

Cheers !

a61_a61

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 02:35:37 AM »
I just checked my other PC ( Notebook, AMD 64, XP Home/SP2) Fast menu speed, and it doesn't do what my desktop does.

As far as the movies go I have a few ways to make movies of what's seen on your PC.  I have Camstudio, and SnagIt which I use mostly.  But I also have some freeware that can do it.  Most of the video screen capture utilities save in .avi form, and these files can be big.  So after making a screen capture video I convert them to a .wmv, with the free 'Windows Media Encoder 9'.  The movie that was posted for this thread is 48.1 kb, the .avi before converting was 988 kb, so you loose some quality in the conversion.

Anyone who wants more info can send me a private message, or I can post something in the off topic forum.

a61