Author Topic: Avast blocks internet after update to full trial version  (Read 3789 times)

Lange_666

Avast blocks internet after update to full trial version
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:10:08 PM »
Yesterday i decided to upgrade my free Avast anti-virus to a 15 days trial of the full version.
Upgraded fine but after the upgrade and the reboot, i was no longer able to connect to the internet. None of the popular browsers worked, programs like Mailwasher didn't work either anymore but i could connect to webbanking and other https sites. Also, i could connect to any gameserver and i was able to send and retrieve mail through Outlook although Mailwasher was blocked.
Thinking it had something to do with the installation of the trial version, i reverted back to the free version but the problem persisted. I then started looking at other stuff but i ended back at the AVAST anti-virus. Maybe the problem was that i had 2 firewalls colliding when the full AVAST was installed (i also had the Windows Firewall running). Disabling all shields made everything work again. I then found that disabling webshield let me surf again and that disabling the mailshield let me work with Mailwasher again.
SO i uninstalled Avast and rebooted and re-installed it again, same problem. No internet when webshield was up. The settings looked the same as when everything still worked so i turned down everything i could find in there but as long as webshield was up, no internet.

In the end i gave up and uninstalled avast entirely. Everything works again now.
I also noted that avast left quite some leftovers in the registry after it was uninstalled. So the uninstall was not "clean".

Quenstion: how do i get Avast free back in working condition?

(PS: Windows 7 64-bit)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast blocks internet after update to full trial version
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »
There is another one that may well have had the same problem, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=84558.0. A clean reinstall (instructions in my Reply #4) of avast free appears to have resolved the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 01:08:47 AM »
I suggest to install avast! Free again, let it update to the latest virus definitions and reboot the machine - everything should be OK then.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:15:11 AM by igor »

Lange_666

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »
@ DavidR: Thx for the tip. Missed the respons otherwise i would have followed your route. In the mean time i took to opportunity to get me an SSD drive and install everything from scratch for a change...

@ Igor: just uninstalling and reinstalling Avast free and update the virusdefs is not enough to solve the problem. I tried that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Enjoy the speed of the new SSD.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »
I know you tried that, but something has changed in between - so I believe it actually would work now.