Author Topic: 6.0.1289: Yellow exclamation mark on the wireless tray icon  (Read 29959 times)

ady4um

Re: 6.0.1289: Yellow exclamation mark on the wireless tray icon
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 09:18:20 AM »
Sorry, I misread your post as "DBone, you idiot"! ;D

No no no!!! As I said, I could have been more clear in my post, and misinterpretations of forum posts are very frequent, unfortunately. Everything's fine now :) (except the actual exclamation mark on wireless tray icon :( ).

Saulius

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 05:41:58 AM »
In Web Shield go to Expert Settings and check "Scan traffic from well known browsers only."  

OK, I've tried that for almost a Week, seemed to be fine until deleting something started to hang my Windows 7 badly during boot to the extent that I had to push the re-start button. (It happened during the black part before the four colour window appairs and well before the "Protected by Avast!" boot message arrives and well before the User welcome screen - the message stopped working for last couple of days, then today another real boot time BSOD!)

So while it might have helped ticking the check box for the "Scan traffic from well known browers only" I'm not absolutely sure because after the boot time BSOD, after re-starting Avast! was switched off and the Internet Connection was down without and finally with the yellow asterisk icon. So I decided to uninstall Avast! to re-install it fresh and read this thread again, Oh hang on there are four pages, 3 to go sorry.

Hi Guys,
we are trying to reproduce this problem here, and we were somewhat successful, although it happens only once in 20 to 30 times (reboots/reconnects) here. The yellow mark usually disappears after a few minutes.

Could you please try to enter the following IP address into the "Ignored addresses" box on the Troubleshooting / Redirect settings tab. This is the address of www.msftncsi.com, where Microsoft tries to connect while detecting the Internet availability. It seems MS doesn't like us to interfere here.

- Open Avast main GUI
 - Click Settings
 - Choose Troubleshooting
 - open Redirect Settings bar
 - Find Web - "Ignored addresses" box
 - Enter the following IP: 213.199.181.90
 - Click OK and restart.

Thanks.

Hmmm, I've done this now too, just to confirm with you on the second last line you have written
- Enter the following IP: 213.199.181.90
I'm assumine I just input the digits of this IP address, not the letters IP?
I just typed the numerals anyway...

Wow you're trying to reproduce this yellow asterisk on the Network icon on the Windows taskbar and it is only happenning every 20 to 30 times! You're lucky. Actually mine doesn't occur often at start up, mostly after a while and I'm online, you know when it counts that I can connect to the internet... yes it can shortly go away after awhile on its own or else I can troubleshoot it or workaround it by disabling the LAN and then re-Enabling it, but sometimes it doesn't work out and finally I have to reboot my Avast! protected system.

I really hope this problem is solved, good to know you guys are really trying to sort this out, that fact is appreciated (even if Avast! is at fault, ha) cheers.

NOOOO this just happenned again as I was posting this, I got the red X and the yellow triagle asterisk, it took several goes to get it to re-connect, with a LAN Disabling/re-Enabling which is my middle resort, and then re-troubleshooting Homegroup and the Diagnosing Network Connection before rebooting. I'm seeing a lot of "Doesn't have a valid IP address  Not fixed" reports and PNRPsvc &/or p2pimsvc isn't working messages.

Anyway I'll read the thread through now.
{EDIT: Done. Pease understand that this yellow asterisk appears on the Windows taskbar Network tray icon for me, usually some moments after I've lost internet connection, its not just an image appearing...}
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:12:39 AM by Saulius »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »

{EDIT: Done. Pease understand that this yellow asterisk appears on the Windows taskbar Network tray icon for me, usually some moments after I've lost internet connection, its not just an image appearing...}

Hi, if you have really lost your Internet connection for a while ( or just a moment ) it is perfectly OK for the icon to reflect that. Please not, that the yellow asterisk is *NOT* what we are talking about here. It is another mark that is showing you that your windows networking is being refreshed (mainly your are obtaining IP address).

During the time you have no IP address you of course have no connection to the Net. Only after the configuration (auto-configuration of the IP) is done, Windows will (after some undocumented period of time) perform a test if it is able to connect to some web site. Based on the success or failure and also on the content of the document downloaded from the web Windows will then report either connected to the Net (no icon) or no connection (excalmation mark icon) or will display a message instructing you to perform an extra login to be able to fully connect (popup notification).

Saulius

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:20 AM »

{EDIT: Done. Please understand that this yellow asterisk appears on the Windows taskbar Network tray icon for me, usually some moments after I've lost internet connection, its not just an image appearing...}

Hi, if you have really lost your Internet connection for a while ( or just a moment ) it is perfectly OK for the icon to reflect that. Please note, that the yellow asterisk is *NOT* what we are talking about here. It is another mark that is showing you that your windows networking is being refreshed (mainly your are obtaining IP address).

During the time you have no IP address you of course have no connection to the Net. Only after the configuration (auto-configuration of the IP) is done, Windows will (after some undocumented period of time) perform a test if it is able to connect to some web site. Based on the success or failure and also on the content of the document downloaded from the web Windows will then report either connected to the Net (no icon) or no connection (exclamation mark icon) or will display a message instructing you to perform an extra login to be able to fully connect (popup notification).

Noted, yes I get that, the yellow asterisk (or exclamation mark) triangle icon appearing on the Network icon in the Windows taskbar is just a sign of losing the internet connection. I believe some people on this thread were thinking that is the problem, that it is the only problem with just this yellow thing showing up but nothing else. Yes it does pop up at start up sometimes post boot and I agree that is nothing to worry about, but that's not what I'm talking about, that happens sometimes as the OS is just getting started. But no I'm having a real problem losing net connection and usually it is happenning for more than just a moment and occurs randomly later on while actually using the PC and surfing the web. It is a real PITA to have the connection drop out and then only shortly after a period to get the yellow pop up. Some times it will eventually turn into a red X. I don't care about the icon, it is actually the loss of internet connection that is the absolute PITMFA!

I gather Windows does some automatic net connection tests because it often takes a while for the yellow icon or pop up to appear or for it to become a red X. It might even be part of the reason for the randomness of the problem occurring in the first place. Anyway by clicking on "See full map" (written in blue upper top right of the Networking and Sharing Center screen) one can check quickly or manually what Windows does to check the net connection, at 'undocumented periods of time'.

Anyway I have performed both number 1 & 2s fixes from in this thread and so far in almost a week with one exception when my Avast! and W7 Firewall were somehow switched off I haven't seen the yellow triangled icon or the red X on my Network icon bottom right of the Windows tray of the taskbar.

Having read the thread AIUI people don't need to perform the solution known as #2 in this thread and more according to Avast! because they say it is taken care of now, as to whether it is actually effective or not. I didn't do that until 3 days ago so having not seen the problem for longer since I performed solution #1 on this almost a Week ago, I concur with others here that that seems to work well enough.

Solution #1 for anyone with this problem is to open Avast! go to Real Time Shields tab, click on Web Shields and on it click on the 'Expert Settings' button and in its 'Main Settings' page place a tick in the box in front of 'Scan traffic from well know browsers only', click OK at bottom and close Avast! and you're done. Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:30:28 AM by Saulius »

Saulius

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »
Thank you Avast! for seemingly to have taking note of this issue and to care enough to employ the solution know as #1 in this old thread as a default setting in Avast! 7 by which through the Real-time Shields menu and in the Web shield Tab and under the button opening to the Expert Settings there now is a tick placed in the check box in front of the line "Scan traffic from well-known browser processors only".

Very appreciated, hope this is all good and sorted out now for the future, cheers from Saulius.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:26:39 PM by Saulius »

gate1975mlm

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Thank you Avast! for seemingly to have taking note of this issue and to care enough to employ the solution know as #1 in this old thread as a default setting in Avast! 7 by which through the Real-time Shields menu and in the Web shield Tab and under the button opening to the Expert Settings there now is a tick placed in the check box in front of the line "Scan traffic from well-known browser processors only".

Very appreciated, hope this is all good and sorted out now for the future, cheers from Saulius.

I have been having this same issue for months now!

I will put a check mark next to "Scan traffic from well-known browser processors only" and see if it fixes it.

But I do hope a permanent fix will be coming.

Iceni

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »

I've upgraded to Avast 7 and the "Scan traffic from well-known browser processors only" box is still not ticked so I doubt that it's a default setting. If you read back to the message Vik posted (message 30 in this thread) you'll see that ticking this box is not recommended.

Saulius

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »
I've upgraded to Avast 7 and the "Scan traffic from well-known browser processors only" box is still not ticked so I doubt that it's a default setting. If you read back to the message Vik posted (message 30 in this thread) you'll see that ticking this box is not recommended.

You are right and the checkbox actually isn't tick marked in the new Avast! 7 install by default, I was mistaken because when I upgraded from Avast! 6 with the tick there along with many other custom settings I had made this and they were all retained in my new version, so it was the updating process keeping the tick in place that fooled me of which I am still no less grateful for all the same.

Sorry for my confusion...