Author Topic: Avast 6 & Ultra VNC Conflict?  (Read 2740 times)

sperry

Avast 6 & Ultra VNC Conflict?
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:15:56 AM »
I can't seem to get both to work at the same time on my desktop computer. I've been running Ultra VNC on all of the computers on my home network with no problems. I've had a previous version of Avast on my laptop and no problems for quite awhile. Last week after deciding I didn't want AVG on my desktop anymore I uninstalled it. Roadrunner offers a CA security suite to it's customers so I installed this and decided I liked that even less. At that point I downloaded the newest version of Avast and installed it. The next day I was unable to connect to my desktop from my laptop using Ultra VNC. I received an error from Ultra VNC which stated "Connection failed - End of stream". Avast was the most recent thing I installed so I tried to see if it was blocking anything. I found similar problems listed in forums on the net with no real solutions. Everyone kept saying that Avast isn't a firewall and doesn't block programs(which I understand). I don't have a firewall other than windows firewall. I've checked the firewalls exceptions and it says it will allow both Ultra VNC and Avast. I tried installing a newer version of Ultra VNC and nothing changed. Finally I uninstalled Avast. Once I rebooted, Ultra VNC was able to connect to my desktop. I reinstalled Avast and I was still able to connect using Ultra VNC. So I thought I was good, but the following day, I couldn't connect again(my desktop does not get shut down other than reboots). Again I uninstalled Avast and right away I could connect again. I can't figure this out. I like avast, but I need Ultra VNC.

My desktop:
AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core 2/7 GHz
3.12 GB RAM
115GB C: drive with 20 GB free
1TB D: Drive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
Windows XP SP3
Windows Firewall

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SHARKY7SHARKY

Re: Avast 6 & Ultra VNC Conflict?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »
Try using the CA Internet Security Suite Uninstaller.
Do a search for anything that might be left over.
If you know how to use regedit look in there for old CA files also you might as well clean up ATG

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »
You can try turning off the network shield to see if that helps.

sperry

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:05:51 AM »
While searching Regedit I did find some left over stuff from the CA suite. I removed them and so far it's been working ok.