Author Topic: Script Shield vs Google Chrome  (Read 4480 times)

Zen11t

Script Shield vs Google Chrome
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
The Script Shield not working with Chrome?

Avast Is version 1289.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Script Shield vs Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
It's still not supported yet.

dansorin

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:59:51 AM »
that's too bad, Chrome has a significant market share, and is still growing. will this support come in the near future?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »
Yes we're doing our best to have it supported in the next program update.

Thanks
vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
that's too bad, Chrome has a significant market share, and is still growing. will this support come in the near future?
Yes you're right. Almost half of people has Google Chrome today. But don't forget that avast! developers has lots of other work to do. Eg. Cloud technology etc...
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »
I don't know what stats you are looking at, but Chrome having 50% share, not a chance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zen11t

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I hope it will be ready as soon as possible.

Thanks Avast.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
I don't know what stats you are looking at, but Chrome having 50% share, not a chance.
Those stuck on Firefox are behind the curve:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/239397/googles_chrome_turns_three_how_fast_they_grow_and_grab_market_share.html

Your statistics are wrong
Chrome now has 15.51 percent of the desktop browser market
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:22:34 AM by YoKenny »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:54:12 AM »
Those stuck on Firefox are behind the curve:
<snip>

On cue, Kenny crawls out of the woodwork and dives off at a tangent.

Being stuck on something implies you have no other choice; there is huge choice in the browser market and I have chosen firefox because of its configurability and extensibility, it suits how I browse and use the internet.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:50:19 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:29:35 AM »
Current RTW version of Chrome is 13.x

It has some Script security problems which I understand are being fixed in version 14.x which is now in Beta and has been for quite a while.

Chrome 14 blocks unencrypted scripts on secure sites

updated 09:55 pm EDT, Wed June 22, 2011
Users can still choose to load page anyway

Google appears to have revamped the security features in Chrome 14, an update to the company's browser that is still in beta development. The build currently blocks secure sites from using unencrypted scripts on pages that are supposed to be protected via HTTPS protocols. Aside from JavaScript scripts, the blocks also extend to plug-ins and external CSS stylesheets.

In a post on Google's Chrome support site, the company explains that current browsers only notify users after the insecure scripts have been allowed to run. If the sites happen to be compromised by an attacker using the insecure scripts as an exploit, the damage may have already been done by the time a user realizes that there is a security issue.

Rather than highlighting mixed script sites with a red 'https://' in the location bar, Chrome 14 blocks sites from running any scripts that are not also protected by HTTPS. Users may notice that some sites do not properly display, however the browser will provide a "Allow Anyway" option for bypassing the protection system. The browser also includes a mechanism for notifying site owners of potential problems. [via Google Operating System]

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/06/22/users.can.still.choose.to.load.page.anyway/

see below for more on this

Notice that it is from June so Google has been working on getting 14.x Beta in a RTW format for a while.

Chrome 14 to address security concerns
By: Seth Rosenblatt June 17, 2011 3:37 AM PDT

A new version of Google's JavaScript rendering engine and security fixes land in Google Chrome 14.0.794.0 dev today, available for download for Windows, Mac, Linux. The latest rough version of the browser improves secure HTTP support in several ways, updates the V8 JavaScript engine to version 3.4.3.0, and tightens security when installing Web apps from the Chrome Web Store.

cont here

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20071873-12/chrome-14-to-address-security-concerns/

My guess is that Avast is coordinating with Google on this and that we won't see Chrome Script Shield protection in avast! until after Chrome 14.x goes RTW.

DarkMasters

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 04:00:49 AM »
Being stuck on something implies you have no other choice; there is huge choice in the browser market and I have chosen firefox because of its configurability and extensibility, it suits how I browse and use the internet.

+1

Those stuck on Firefox are behind the curve

I choose Mozilla Firefox over Google Chrome because Google Chrome is:
1. Google product.
2. Data mining tools from one of the biggest data mining company in the whole internet world.
3. Come with Google Updater which not listed in Add/Remove Program and add many registry entry.