Author Topic: Update caused Blue Screen  (Read 2967 times)

ululator

Update caused Blue Screen
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:28:34 PM »
When Avast updates itself right during boot-up, it results in the dreaded Blue Screen.
Windows then prompts to run System Restore, effect repairs, etc.  This has happened repeatedly, & is way too scary to deal with first thing in the morning. 

I posted about this problem way back in January.  A fix was suggested: I followed those instructions & it seemed to work… But now I’m getting Blue Screened again.

Is this due to the same issue?  Should I follow the January fix-instructions again?  Help!!!

I have the Avast Free Edition & Vista-64 Home Premium.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Update caused Blue Screen
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
I don't know why that might cause a BSOD.

What version of avast are you using ?
Check for a program update as avast 6.0.1289 has just been released and that may have resolved this.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ululator

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
According to my copy of Avast, I do have version 6.0.1289.
And, if that’s the most recent update, I’m assuming that’s the one that caused the crash.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
1289 is the latest stable version.

You should stop / close / exit all programs and run a repair of Avast.

Some resident program might have a conflict with avast setup.

After stopping other programs, go to:

"Add/Remove programs" -> Avast -> change -> repair (or something very similar, depending on your Windows version).

Please reboot after the repair.

JFYI, running System Restore after the first fail in Avast (or other tools for that matter), usually complicate things even more. There should be stronger reasons to run a System Restore. A new reboot usually solves the glitch.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »
In which case you should upload the dump logs:
- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, OS, avast version including build number, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file. Not to mention posting the name of the file you uploaded in the topic acts as another searchable reference.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
Or
- Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

####
Excuse if I'm teaching your granny to suck eggs:
- First you have to create your zip file with the unique name, containing the dump files and the readme.txt file, before you even consider connection to the ftp location explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. You do not have read permissions on the explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming location, so you won't see it has been uploaded.

Now you make your first windows explorer connection to the ftp link explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, now open another explorer window where you locate your unique zip file containing the dump and readme.txt files; drag and drop that file into the other explorer window (right hand side), no need to click enter or any other action.
- E:\Images\CapturedScreenPrint\ftp_drag_and_drop.png
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 12:09:54 AM »
I have the Avast Free Edition & Vista-64 Home Premium.
I solved all my Blue Screen crash problems with Vista by getting Windows 7.  ;D