Author Topic: How to disable Avast shell integration/item in context menu?  (Read 16112 times)

killerclick

How to disable Avast shell integration/item in context menu?
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:47:14 AM »
I can't find this option in the settings.
I read something about changing avast5.ini to add ShellExtensionFileName=-1 but I can't edit that file, says Access Denied.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to disable Avast shell integration/item in context menu?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:58:25 AM »
You can only use notepad (other text editors only have read access) to edit the avast5.ini file, when you save your changes the avast self-defence module will ask for confirmation.

I don't know about the -1 value though, don't know where you read that. It also doesn't remove the integration in the explorer shell it just removes the long file/folder names being displayed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

killerclick

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:17:04 AM »
You can only use notepad (other text editors only have read access) to edit the avast5.ini file, when you save your changes the avast self-defence module will ask for confirmation.

Asked for confirmation but Notepad says access denied.

I guess I'll just uninstall Avast. People who failed to include option to disable shell integration probably fail at many other more important things.

DarkMasters

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:06:51 AM »
You should use Notepad with administrator privilege.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:15:20 AM »
There used to be an option that let you temporarily disable the self defense
module.  Once it was done, you could edit and save the file.

Is that option no longer present ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »
There used to be an option that let you temporarily disable the self defense
module. Once it was done, you could edit and save the file.

Is that option no longer present ?

Avast GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> enable self defense.

But this should be unchecked only temporarily. Once whatever you want to do is finished, you should recheck that checkbox.

Generally speaking, this is not really needed. Most common tasks can be done without lowering Avast's defenses.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:17 PM »

I don't know about the -1 value though, don't know where you read that. It also doesn't remove the integration in the explorer shell it just removes the long file/folder names being displayed.

I didn't know about that one either...but it seems to work. I changed it to -1 and there was no avast entry

EDIT: There is a thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=82240
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:17:05 PM by spg SCOTT »

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »
I'd like to know why you would even want to disable the shell intergration, it's such a handy feature and is a true necessity with any good av for simple right clicking and scanning any file. ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »

I didn't know about that one either...but it seems to work. I changed it to -1 and there was no avast entry

EDIT: There is a thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=82240

Yes, I really wasn't sure if the - would be an accepted parameter, as we have seen that trying to apply a - in other areas (but the UI) and it didn't seem to have that effect. So I though we were stuck with 1 (default on display file/folder name) or 0 (off don't display file/folder name) for the ShellExtensionFileName option.

So weird to see -1 to switch off shell integration completely. I had completely missed that recent post.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
It wasn't until I tried it that I searched for it. Guessed it was probably posted here somewhere...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
Whould be interested to know, why the OP needs this...???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »
Some people just don't like shell extension clutter.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »
Some people just don't like shell extension clutter.

Hmm... Ok.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

killerclick

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
I'd like to know why you would even want to disable the shell intergration, it's such a handy feature and is a true necessity with any good av for simple right clicking and scanning any file.

I don't think I need it, that's why. Why should I need to right click and scan files, isn't that done automatically whenever a file is accessed?
Also, I like my context menus clean and free of icons and unnecessary entries.

The right question to ask is why wouldn't the developers provide the option to disable shell integration via settings in the GUI? Put it in advanced settings, along with all other configuration options that the program supports.

Anyway thanks to DarkMasters, I have now disabled the context menu entry and I look forward to ignoring Avast as it protects my system for years to come.

Gomezz

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »
HI THERE!!!.. I HAVE A BIG RPOBLEM!!..PLS HELP ME..HOW CAN I ENABLE THE CONTEXT MENU EXTENSION IN AVAST 8.0.1483??...WHEN I CLICK RIGHT BUTTON ON THE FOLDER DON'T APPEAR THAT EXTENSION...HOW CAN I FIX THAT??HELPP MEEEEE!!!!