Author Topic: pc won't restart after updating to 6.0.1289  (Read 8328 times)

Mac the Knife

pc won't restart after updating to 6.0.1289
« on: September 08, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
I have windows xp and choose to manually update avast. Updated to the latest version and computer wouldn't restart, just kept going round to list of starting windows normally etc. I ended up having to start in safe mode and do a windows restore, which worked out fine. Thought I would give it another go and did the same thing again. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

ady4um

Re: pc won't restart after updating to 6.0.1289
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
Please search the forum for similar topics. Older security tools, not running the appropriate removal utilities (http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/), and optional connected hardware are some of the reasons.

If you used to had some other security tool, search for the removal utility and run it under Windows Safe Mode.

BTW, you shouldn't run a restore point for this type of things. It tends to complicate the situation instead. If you can get to safe mode, then running the Avast removal tool http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility directly from Safe Mode (skipping the "Add/Remove Programs" step) should solve most problems.

After installing Avast under Normal Mode, reboot before anything else.

Unplug / disconnect / disable any optional device (wifi, modems, usb devices...).

If all these fail, please don't hesitate to post again with details of OS version, edition, x32 / x64, SPs... and Avast version and edition.

Mac the Knife

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »
I still don't understand why it would mess up like this when I updated it from the Avast program. I've never ever had a problem doing this before.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
I am a simple user as you are, and I agree with you that it shouldn't make any problems. I am only posting what I am seeing these days that is happening to others and how they finally solved the booting / shut down problems.

Try avoiding going back to restore points, as much as you can. Most posts here about them are not solving almost anything.

A repair of Avast might solve the problem in some cases, instead of a full uninstall and reinstall.

Rebooting after changes / troubleshooting / installations seems to be more critical than users tend to think. Again, this is just from recent (and older) posts, after the recent new stable version of Avast was released.

If you try these procedures and all them fail, please don't hesitate to ask again for more help.

HansAV

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »
Sorry but all these well meant advices are pretty much useless with the new AVAST, when it´s giving you problems.

It´s simply broken.

My XP system was working tirelessly and without much of a hitch until I hit that update button.

After that, bluescreen of death(IRQ_not_less_or_equal) on startup. As I disabled crap like restore points and usually have a pretty good grasp on WinXP, it left my no other option but to uninstall AVAST in safe mode. Bootlog shows nothing, minidumps aren´t even generated.

I wasted practically a whole day on getting AVAST to work, went even as far as allowing XP to use ludicrous amounts of virtual HD space again(set to default), but no luck.

And yes I know how to uninstall an Antivir program, contrary to most users I´m not quasi computer illiterate.

Hope the next AVAST version will roll back some of these "updates" or somehow fix them. As it seems to be a problem in the core programming. Tried installing with ONLY the main filesystem scan, but still got that bluescreen on bootup.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:02:53 PM by HansAV »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:58:52 PM »
If you still have them, it would help if you could upload the dump files created by the BSOD:
- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file. Not to mention posting the name of the file you uploaded in the topic acts as another searchable reference.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
Or
- Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

####
Excuse me if I'm teaching your granny to suck eggs:
- First you have to create your zip file with the unique name, containing the dump files and the readme.txt file, before you even consider connection to the ftp location explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. You do not have read permissions on the explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming location, so you won't see it has been uploaded.

Now you make your first windows explorer connection to the ftp link explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, now open another explorer window where you locate your unique zip file containing the dump and readme.txt files; drag and drop that file into the other explorer window (right hand side), no need to click enter or any other action.
- E:\Images\CapturedScreenPrint\ftp_drag_and_drop.png- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file. Not to mention posting the name of the file you uploaded in the topic acts as another searchable reference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 01:07:53 AM »
Since users in this topic are saying that they have no memory dumps, I'd like to add a temporary workaround, at least for some users (apparently, not for the OP ).

For those using the Free edition of Avast, filehippo.com has older stable versions of it (and they are exactly as the official site originally published them). Although the previous stable version, 6.0.1203, needed some patches (specially under XP), if anyone wants to reinstall it (instead of the latest one), you have this possibility opened.

The latest stable version should include the previous patches, but for some reason is not working as it should for all of the final users.

For anything else, since the normal methods of troubleshooting are not being successful, we need some Avast Team member to give further instructions (as for example, using some specific tool to provoke a specific memory dump so to help find the culprit / bug).

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:24:58 AM »
Is the problem related to an incompatibility with some other firewall and/or AV program ?

I uninstalled Avast due to the issues of 1203 and XP and installed MSE.
I would like to go back to Avast, but I'm holding off until I get a warm and fuzzy
feeling that the product is stable.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »
From the information here no one can say, which is why when anyone has a BSOD, I try to encourage them to upload any dump files if present.

However, the latest build did resolve some stability issues. But one thing for sure, you won't get a warm fuzzy feeling without ducking your head under the covers. So I suggest that you at least give it a try or you won't know how it fits in with your system setup.

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=84297.0 for very general information on the builds major changes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
I'm happy to report I have had no problems with the latest update.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »
OK - thanks for the info DavidR and YoKenny.  I think the product is going through some growing
pains; it was at version 4.8 for a long time, then the developers got very
ambitious, added a load of new features, quickly transitioned through version 5 into
version 6.

I'll probably watch the forum for a few more weeks and see what else comes in for 1289.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:38:10 PM by davexnet »
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Mac83

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
I'm having the same problem : during the reboot after updating Avast, I have a BSOD with message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". If I uninstall Avast, my PC boot correctly.
I use Avast Free with windows XP Pro SP3 (in french)

Here is exactly what I've done :
 - update Avast with Avast updater => OK
 - stop my PC for the night => OK
 - boot my PC this morning => BSOD during boot
 - boot in safe mode, download last Avast free version from Avast.com, run it to uninstall Avast => OK
 - reboot in normal mode (with no network connection) => OK
 - install Avast with file previously downloaded => OK
 - reboot in normal mode => BSOD during boot
I tried to activate memory dump in windows, to give it to you, but no memory.dmp file were created with my BSOD.

I hope this problem will be solved quickly. Waiting for that, is it possible to have the previous version of Avast ?
(For the next days, I think I'm going to reinstall Avast and don't reboot :-| !)

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
is it possible to have the previous version of Avast ?
(For the next days, I think I'm going to reinstall Avast and don't reboot :-| !)

If you use the previous stable version, and you were not having problems with it, then you can reboot any time you want.

Now, Avast 6.0.1203 was having some problems under XP, and some patches were available. Those patches were included in the new 6.0.1289. If you still want to use the previous stale Free version, filehippo.com has them (but, to be clear, I'm NOT recommending it; better to try to solve the current problem).

To clear any old remnants that could be leading to the BSOD, you might want to use Avast Clear Uninstall Utility under Windows Safe Mode, from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, and then reinstall the latest 6.0.1289 under Normal Mode.

TulipVorlax

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »

Hi all,

I didn't have any problem with 3 pc; 2 on XP Home SP3 and on laptop on Win 7 Home premium (not sure how to call that one in english, my first language is french and all my OS/Softwares too, or most of them).

But i'm currently in an instant messaging talk with a friend from France that had the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD problem on restart and didn't think about Safe Mode and has proceed to reinstall his PC from scratch. He also said that he dumping avast and will use something else from now on.

I think it's sad. Good luck to everyone having problems.

Mac83

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
To clear any old remnants that could be leading to the BSOD, you might want to use Avast Clear Uninstall Utility under Windows Safe Mode, from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, and then reinstall the latest 6.0.1289 under Normal Mode.

I uninstalled Avast with this utility, then reinstall the latest version, and the problem is still here (BSOD during boot). I've done the same with the pervious version of Avast (6.0.1203), and I have no problem to boot.