Author Topic: SafeZone browser is opening upon windows start and wont turn off  (Read 56383 times)

GaGama

SafeZone browser is opening upon windows start and wont turn off
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:51:44 AM »
No idea why this is doing this but when I turned my computer on tonight
Avast's SafeZone Browser is opening and won't turn off.  I've tried the
Green arrow on bottom right that says swutch back when pressed and also
Pressed the a in left bottom cirner and the page just blinks.   I have tried to open
Task Manager but it doesn't show up.   HELP!!!!!

GaGama

Re: SafeZone browser is opening upon windows start and wont turn off
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:57:24 AM »
Btw.. OS is Windows 7.   Also i am on my ipod which is a pita to type on so forgive me for any typos. TIA!

OK I am able to sign into my computer under guest.  So my main user name is the one with the problem.  What do I do?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:14:38 AM by GaGama »

ArcticLoner

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »
I've had exactly the same problem this morning - Win7/64bit running avast free 6.0.1289; able to log on as other users, but my main account runs the avast SafeZone and won't close it or allow you to do anything - can only press Windows-Key+L to switch user...

After speaking to support, turns out a reboot should fix it! Avast didn't prompt me to reboot after the update to 6.0.1289, so not sure what's going on... but the support guy was great and got it sorted with no hassle :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:48:54 AM by ArcticLoner »

GaGama

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:46:52 PM »
I've rebooted so many times and it still randomly comes on.  I use the same stuff as you and I'm not real crazy about Avast having this feature, especially that it won't let me do anything.

giles

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »
Hi, i had this problem yesterday too, i juts installed a new widget for windows 7 and i got locked in the SafeZone browser, got me a little worried at 1 point but i ended up having to go into safe mode (press F8 on or somthing on startup) then uninstall avast through control panel, then i could restart my computer like normal and uninstalled the widget. After re-installing Avast i havnt got that problem although my opinion of avast has dropped significantly. Hope this is of some help. Itl at least get your pc working again even if you didnt install anything before hand.

Giles

kelly9583

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 02:52:25 PM »
i have the exact same problem !!! cant get into anything at all !!!!
tried the f8 didnt do anything at all
can anybody help please its driving me mental  >:(

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:25:08 PM »
Interesting, first time I notice that there is such a problem. But it is posted in the wrong forum section, so I am not surprised you guys never got an anwser. Btw you all upgraded to the latest 6.0.1289 build  ???

I will email the Developer of SafeZone with a link to this topic so he is aware :)

Greetz, Red.

Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
Rather than use the Green arrow - have you tried shutting down safe zone using the off button

Click the Avast icon bottom left and then the red X

rosscode

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
I've had the same issue and I'm not very pleased with my computer being hijacked like that.  I did not ask for this piece of software to automatically start up when windows booted and I cannot switch it off using either of the buttons provided.  Task manager is inaccessible as well.

I suggest Avast sort this out.  I need my PC for my work and now I cannot get in to the thing without booting in to safe mode.

I'm using windows 7 ultimate and just updated Avast to have this crap forced on to my PC.  Again I did not click an option to allow this, I rebooted and bang, a stupid overlay that cannot be closed. 

Uninstalled Avast now, stay well clear of it.

peterdbn

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 03:13:06 AM »
Pressed the a in left bottom cirner and the page just blinks.   I have tried to open

I have the same issues... this is very frustrating, can anyone assist me in removing this safezone browser or at least turning it off as I need to work and my laptop is now useless to me... >:(

peterdbn

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 03:16:32 AM »
I've had the same issue and I'm not very pleased with my computer being hijacked like that.  I did not ask for this piece of software to automatically start up when windows booted and I cannot switch it off using either of the buttons provided.  Task manager is inaccessible as well.

I suggest Avast sort this out.  I need my PC for my work and now I cannot get in to the thing without booting in to safe mode.

I'm using windows 7 ultimate and just updated Avast to have this crap forced on to my PC.  Again I did not click an option to allow this, I rebooted and bang, a stupid overlay that cannot be closed. 

How did you uninstall it ? Im a novice and dont know much, but i want it to go away...far away

orin2k8cse

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 01:00:16 AM »

keishaa

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 05:45:02 PM »
i was able to go to control panel through task manager but i still can't uninstall avast because i have insufficient access to it. help :(( did anyone figure it out yet??

keishaa

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »

How did you uninstall it ? Im a novice and dont know much, but i want it to go away...far away

yeah please teach us how to uninstall it :(

keishaa

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
OPEN WINDOWS SAFE MODE AND UNINSTALL AVAST. IT WORKS!!!