Author Topic: Avast IS vs. AKLT  (Read 3761 times)

shiki

Avast IS vs. AKLT
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
There may be a thread about this question already, I don't know. Google didn't return anything when I tried to find it.

My question is: As an Avast IS! user, I have a firewall, a proactive protection ... at least that's what Avast! product information says.

Recently I have downloaded AKLT (AntiKeyLoggerTester), which is made to "test your computer's security" (so to say).

ALL the tests are executed perfectly, without a problem, while Avast! is running, fully updated.

Any ideas why Avast won't block malicious attempts?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast IS vs. AKLT
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
Keyloggers are to all intents and purposes PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs), not all key-loggers are malicious, many are commercial packages, so they aren't blocked by default.

So you need to enable Scan for PUPs in the avastUI, real-time shields, file system shield, expert settings, Sensitivity, see image. I would recommend that you also set the Actions for PUPs to Ask as the first action as you will be surprised what may be flagged as a PUP, many tools are considered PUPs as the can be used for good or evil.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shiki

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
It still perfectly works (AKLT). Changed _every_ setting to the highest one, including PUP. No use. :(

shiki

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
Bump? :/

Any security software that protects against AKLT like attacks?

baba booey

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:43:45 AM »
Safezone.  ;)

shiki

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »
Yeah, that's one thing. But in the safe-zone you can only browse. (So far.)
However, you could chat in Steam, in an online game, etc etc. Where SafeZone won't protect you.

That's why it's a serious concern.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
Keyscrambler works well with avast http://www.qfxsoftware.com/download.htm

shiki

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 11:21:01 AM »
That's.... uhm ok, but IF Avast could protect me against such "malicious" behavior, that would be awesome.

I have tried a lot of security software when I discovered the test, since I could remember one that blocked a key logger when I tried to install it. Maybe Kaspersky ... I'll look around.

I know ... if Avast would check every such actions, it would slow down the computer but still, if they could implement an option for maximum security...

shiki

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
Also, it's worth checking out this link (and the guy's channel):
http://youtu.be/yRNJXT9FilE

What I don't get, is the final question:
Avast + Malware Bytes will give me a nice protection?
Or one should go with Hitman Pro AND Avast?

I know that a lot of softwares are NOT considered as malware/adware ... Avast is really permissive about this. But it would be awesome if this would change in a direction where a user could have a checkbox where he can tick things he does NOT want on his computer. Like if there is an ASK toolbar in an application, that is an adware.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:43:03 AM by Shiki »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »
You've already got AIS so add malwarebytes pro and winpatrol free or pro for a light hips system monitoring and you have all bases covered imo.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »
@ Shki
Don't lose sight of the fact that a keylogger comprises of two parts, gathering the data and exporting/sending that data. So a good third party firewall is also part of the equation. Since you have AIS it should be challenging unauthorised outbound internet connections.

My firewall has anti-keylogging built in to the anti-leak function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shiki

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 02:20:55 PM »
@ DavidR

Could you tell me which Firewall are you using? (If you wouldn't like to say it "loud", just send me a PM.) Thanks!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »
If you wouldn't like to say it "loud"
He already have...it is in the signature   ;D

if the keylogger is malicious it will be stopped by signatur detection i guess...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »
@ DavidR
Could you tell me which Firewall are you using? (If you wouldn't like to say it "loud", just send me a PM.) Thanks!

Ummm, let me see now if I can find it, ahhh here it is hiding in my signature ;D

Seriously, Outpost is a fine firewall but I think that most firewalls up to a point will do the same without actually saying so specifically in the settings.

The avast firewall in AIS is trying to be one that is transparent to the user by being more user friendly doesn't take a lot of configuration or input from the user and they get on with their work.

The Outpost firewall has various Protection levels (avast firewall has three), settings and with those different levels, gives much greater access to configuration settings. This isn't suited to all. But choosing a different level and not Rules Wizard level gives a more simple less intrusive experience (which is what the avast firewall seeks to do).