Author Topic: Blank Scan Now  (Read 5264 times)

canalrun

Blank Scan Now
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »
I am running avast pro antivirus on Windows 7 64-bit 6.0.1289.
I have been using it for a few years. Subscription valid until 2/2/2012.

I tried to find when the last scan was, I opened the user interface, clicked on the scan tab on the left, then click the scan now sub tab.

The white box is blank. No way to scan, nothing is displayed. Searching the web I see this is a common problem, but their solution of rebooting or going into Control Panel uninstall repair then rebooting does not work.

How do I fix this so I can scan or see what the results of the last scan were?

Barry.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:00:55 AM by canalrun »

ady4um

Re: Blank Scan Now
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:04:49 AM »
Normally, I would say go to the same "Scan Now" -> "Scan logs" to show the list of scans, and clicking on each row you would get more info and options.

But since you "see all blank", I don't know if you mean that there is no log, or that there is a problem with the display in Avast.

To configure the logs, you could go to Avast main GUI -> settings ->  maintenance.

In addition, some "cleaners" (like for example CCleaner) are able to delete some Avast logs (in some cases), so be sure you are not accidentally doing that with such type of programs (unselect "Avast" from the list of items to clean).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »
ady4um CCleaner does not remove any avast scan logs, this feature for cleaning avast in ccleaner was removed not long after it was introduced.

canalrun if the repair function does not work then i woud suggest a clean install, an uncommon cleaner or a registry cleaner optimiser may have trshed something if you have run one of these.

CCleaner is the only tool i would ever recommend using for cleaning up a system.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
ady4um CCleaner does not remove any avast scan logs, this feature for cleaning avast in ccleaner was removed not long after it was introduced.

First, I wasn't recommending to use CCleaner or any other cleaner. The procedure I suggested was NOT that one. I only mentioned a possible cause, in some cases, to the possible "disappearances" of Avast's logs.

Second. I already had this same discussion with SafeSurf in the past. I'll repeat here what I already explained.

If you have updated from Avast 5 to Avast 6, the path is still the old one (Alwil). In such case, CCleaner still identifies Avast logs (part of them, actually).

If you have the newer "Avast Software" path for Avast 6 (Piriform was never notified by any CCleaner's user about it), then CCleaner doesn't recognize that location for Avast's logs, hence Avast is not listed in CCleaner's items.

It may be possible to find other cleaners with such capability, and I don't know about them, so I wasn't so arrogant to discard that possibility too. So, AFAIK, such cause for the problem described is still possible.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »

First, I wasn't recommending to use CCleaner or any other cleaner. The procedure I suggested was NOT that one. I only mentioned a possible cause, in some cases, to the possible "disappearances" of Avast's logs.

Second. I already had this same discussion with SafeSurf in the past. I'll repeat here what I already explained.

If you have updated from Avast 5 to Avast 6, the path is still the old one (Alwil). In such case, CCleaner still identifies Avast logs (part of them, actually).

If you have the newer "Avast Software" path for Avast 6 (Piriform was never notified by any CCleaner's user about it), then CCleaner doesn't recognize that location for Avast's logs, hence Avast is not listed in CCleaner's items.

It may be possible to find other cleaners with such capability, and I don't know about them, so I wasn't so arrogant to discard that possibility too. So, AFAIK, such cause for the problem described is still possible.
I never mentioned anything about you recommending ccleaner ??? and i believe the name change from alwil to avast happened in the very last of the 5 versions and it wasn't until after the name change that piriform added this feature to ccleaner so it has nothing to do with detecting old alwil files and like i said earlyer that it was confirmed somewhere that i read that the detection of avast files was removed from ccleaner due to some issues and is no longer present in version's now.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »
I apologize to the OP for this OT, but I don't think this should be left as valid info, when it is not.

For craigb, and for anyone who might care about this OT info:

I'll put it this way: I have the latest CCleaner 3.11.1541 and the latest Avast 6.0.1289 (which was directly updated from Avast 5 and never uninstalled since then). I can see "Avast 5" listed in my items in CCleaner, and I can run the "Analyze" function to see the correct logs listed (not all of them though). If I were to check this item as part of my default cleanings, the logs from "Avast 6" would be gone (even when they are listed as "Avast 5" in CCleaner, just because of the old path still being used in my current Avast 6).

So, my previous statement about this being a possible cause in some cases is still valid. If anyone wants to believe otherwise, that's not my problem, and I don't care to keep this OT going on.

Back to the main topic now, hoping that canalrun can report back about the actual suggestion I wrote and what he actually did.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »
ady4um the op can fix there system with a clean install as ccleaner wont remove any content that has to do with the scans not showing, and also as instructed to the op i would suggest that you also do a clean install of avast and ccleaner if your still seeing avast in the applications of ccleaner because on one of my two systems which has also been updated over top since version 5 avast does not show in my app's of ccleaner since it was removed, my other system is only a month or so old so is of no use in this comparison.

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 06:40:48 PM »
@craigb,

As I already said, CCleaner is NOT part of the solution in this case. The ONLY reason I mentioned it is because IF the user falls in the following steps:

1_ clean reinstall Avast (or not, this is not the important step); and then
2_ uses CCleaner or some other similar tool;

then there is still a chance that he is deleting the logs himself without even knowing.

That's the ONLY reason I mentioned it. I didn't, and I won't, recommend using ANY cleaner. CCleaner, or any similar tool, are NOT part of the solution in this case.

About your suggestion to me to clean reinstall Avast, it is not necessary at all. I mentioned SafeSurf before, having this same conversation with me. I tested then, just for the sake of completeness and backing up my observations, a new clean install of CCleaner. As I already said and repeat once more time, CCleaner correctly recognizes the older default path of Avast. There is no conflict, no problem, "nada". Avast works correctly, no BSOD, no slowdowns. There is no reason at all for me to clean reinstall Avast now, and there is no reason for me to say that CCleaner has any conflict or problem with Avast.

Moreover, if any Avast user would go to Piriform's forums or contact page and suggest to add Avast 6 (with the current default path), they would probably do it, and there shouldn't be any conflicts.

To canalrun (the OP), if you don't use any such cleaner, please disregard any comments about it, since, as I already explained more than once, it is not part of your solution (only, potentially in some specific cases, it could be part of the problem).

Let's move on.

canalrun

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »
I am running avast pro antivirus on Windows 7 64-bit 6.0.1289.
I have been using it for a few years. Subscription valid until 2/2/2012.

Thanks for your responses. I had to uninstall then reinstall Avast. That seems to have solved the problem. I now have the scan items under "Scan Now".

I do have a cleaner, Glary Utilities. I will definitely take a look at Avast before and after if I ever run the Glary cleaner again. I will look at CCleaner.

Barry.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:27:50 AM »
You'll find that CCleaner is alot safer to run than Glary Utilities which is highly possible the cause of the issue you had with the scan options being removed so if it were me i'd get rid of glary.

Your welcome, glad your all fixed now.