Author Topic: very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!  (Read 27388 times)

John.A

very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!
« on: September 11, 2011, 01:34:25 PM »
 >:( >:( >:(
shortly after upgrading to avast 6.0.1289 i got a very annoying popup ad asking me to buy avast internet security, has anyone else got this? that was the main reason i switched from avira to avast to get rid of the annoying ads. Very disappointing avast did this!!!
 :( :( :(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 01:37:57 PM »
If your talking about the big add that pops up in the middle of the screen it's just a one off thing that comes up when you are in the middle of your license period, easy to exit the add and you shouldn't see it again.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
Yes, I've got it, too.
I had to reinstall avast! because of it, because I tried IS, but I didn't like it, I switched back, and my browsers lost internet acces because of the Web Shield...  >:(

mican

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »
Count me as annoyed and disappointed too.  It may be a one off thing, but that's still one time too many.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »
I'm NOT against a "balanced" advertising. Avast is still a business I think that, in this case, Avast Software made a mistake.

When the user updates the program, several things could go wrong. The user either throws Avast out, or searches for help / solutions / workarounds.

When Avast Software decides to include, AT THE SAME TIME, some additional changes, it can only stress this "glitches" (or potential bugs) a little more.

The one-time advertising (screen notification) is not the only thing that was included at the same moment of the program update (to 6.0.1289). Avast Software decided to include the possibility to upgrade to AIS (15 days free trial), and to give also the possibility to go back to the usual Free edition. This, IMO, was NOT smart.

Updating the program is enough "stress" for the rare cases were something goes wrong. All the advertising and 15 day trial needs to be separated from the program update process. It "might" be less successful as an advertisement campaign (or not) if it is separated, but for the users, it is much more reliable, simple, and stable.

Under the current situation, users having problems "just after the program update", need to investigate "more than usual", to find out if the program update was the one generating the problem, or was the ad notification, or was the 15 days trial, or was the "going back to the Free edition".

All this "extra stress" was (and is) unnecessary, and avoidable by simply separating the campaign from the program update.

Once Avast's servers detect most (or all) users have updated the program, only *then* start the campaign. This gives time, for the users that indeed had problems updating the program itself, to solve any problems and to give enough feedback to Avast Team. Only *then* start the campaign, that might bring other users with other problems to resolve, but the trigger of the problem is much more narrow than under the current "program update + simultaneous ad + simultaneous 15 day trial + option to get back to Free edition".

This means an additional “program upgrade” (or edition upgrade, I should say), but IMO it is less problematic than the method used while updating to Avast 6.0.1289.

As I said, unnecessary stress.

hayc59

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 04:07:39 PM »
I got it twice yesterday..and mine
does not expire for several months
see screenie
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:13:51 PM by hayc59 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »
What do you mean - twice? On the same computer?

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 05:03:02 PM »
@hayc59,

You are probably a little bit confused (no offense intended), as shown by your comment about "not expire for several months" while your own attached screenshot shows it is only a trial for 15 days.

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
@hayc59,
You are probably a little bit confused (no offense intended), as shown by your comment about "not expire for several months" while your own attached screenshot shows it is only a trial for 15 days.
Nope, you are the confused one  ;)

By "Not expire for several months", he refers to his current registration.

hayc59

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »
@hayc59,
Nope, you are the confused one  ;)

By "Not expire for several months", he refers to his current registration.
Thank you.
@ady4um..mine is April something expire date
pop-up is for the trial for 15 days
see another image

hayc59

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »
What do you mean - twice? On the same computer?
Yes

MrRAlan

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
I got it also.  VERY ANNOYING!  Third time in the past couple months I got a popup ad from avast!  This is not good.

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
I got it also.  VERY ANNOYING!  Third time in the past couple months I got a popup ad from avast!  This is not good.

Three times in the past couple months.. For me is not invasive.. ;)
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

MrRAlan

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »

Three times in the past couple months.. For me is not invasive.. ;)

That's you.

Tetsuo

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »
For me is not invasive.. ;)

Yeah, that's you.

Very annoying. Last month we discussed about the small advertising pop-ups but things are getting worst now...