Author Topic: very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!  (Read 27501 times)

ady4um

Re: very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
Just to be clear, I think forum members in this specific topic are a little bit confused, or maybe I am.

The ad that we are talking about in this specific topic is not the same as other ads in the past.

Yes, all are ads, and I am sure you have seen ads from other security tools, non-security tools, other computer-related products, other products not related to computers, ads displayed in your computer screen, ads displayed in your TV screen, and other ads in other media.

Probably the difference is that Avast is not "nagging" the user "all the time", nor "every update" ("as seen on TV"). So, Avast is a business, and Avast Software makes decisions about advertisements and how to try to improve its income and gains.

If this topic is going to question "every" ad of "any" type Avast has "ever" shown, then what's the point? Yes, Avast is apparently showing more ads than in the past. Probably no user of the Free edition likes this. I don't like it. But please try to contribute with some idea, instead of simply complaining because, say, "3 ads in a month, and this was different in the past".

I don't like it either, and it seems like Avast Software is going to keep doing it more and more (and, still, lets hope not).

My first post in this topic was about separating the ads, offers, campaigns and alike, from the normal or usual program update process. That's a useful contribution (whether you agree or not). I have no control about it, and only and just complaining won't solve anything.

Of course, this is my opinion, and evidently anyone / evreyone is free to keep posting whatever opinions or comments, as long as it "plays nice" with rules of netiquette.

@hayc59,

I don't understand why you are mixing the validity of your specific license with the 15 day trial. If a user using the Free edition chooses to try it, after 15 days such user needs to either pay for it or go back to the Free edition. Other than that, I don't know of "months" of validity for the trial.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
I think it is rather a good opportunity for people who haven't tried AIS, to use it and if they have any problem, they can just go back to the free version.

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
Just to be clear, I think forum members in this specific topic are a little bit confused, or maybe I am.

The ad that we are talking about in this specific topic is not the same as other ads in the past.

Yes, all are ads, and I am sure you have seen ads from other security tools, non-security tools, other computer-related products, other products not related to computers, ads displayed in your computer screen, ads displayed in your TV screen, and other ads in other media.

Probably the difference is that Avast is not "nagging" the user "all the time", nor "every update" ("as seen on TV"). So, Avast is a business, and Avast Software makes decisions about advertisements and how to try to improve its income and gains.

If this topic is going to question "every" ad of "any" type Avast has "ever" shown, then what's the point? Yes, Avast is apparently showing more ads than in the past. Probably no user of the Free edition likes this. I don't like it. But please try to contribute with some idea, instead of simply complaining because, say, "3 ads in a month, and this was different in the past".

I don't like it either, and it seems like Avast Software is going to keep doing it more and more (and, still, lets hope not).

My first post in this topic was about separating the ads, offers, campaigns and alike, from the normal or usual program update process. That's a useful contribution (whether you agree or not). I have no control about it, and only and just complaining won't solve anything.

Of course, this is my opinion, and evidently anyone / evreyone is free to keep posting whatever opinions or comments, as long as it "plays nice" with rules of netiquette.

@hayc59,

I don't understand why you are mixing the validity of your specific license with the 15 day trial. If a user using the Free edition chooses to try it, after 15 days such user needs to either pay for it or go back to the Free edition. Other than that, I don't know of "months" of validity for the trial.

+1

IMHO i don't think it's invasive and

If your talking about the big add that pops up in the middle of the screen it's just a one off thing that comes up when you are in the middle of your license period, easy to exit the add and you shouldn't see it again.

but I respect all the other opinions  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:32:44 PM by giogio »
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

hayc59

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »
I also respect ady4um's opin as well as
everyone here!! we all cool
its not annoying to me either!

What is was annoying was watching my home town football team[Reno,Nev Wolfpack]
get beat or slaughtered by the Oregon Duckies!!
no that is a pisser

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »
What do you mean - twice? On the same computer?
Yes

That's very strange... were you at the computer when the first one appeared (and did you close it?), or was it showing there for a while?
Did you reboot the machine between the first and second occurrence, or was it running all the time?

norel

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »
The one is got was a big ad for AIS free 15 day trial.

Avast is reminding me of Norton in the sense that it's acting like an adware parasite. I figured it was coming sooner or later. Nothing anyone can do about it though. I'll just have to put up with it until I find something better.

spede1

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 06:35:24 AM »
People complaining because they get a pop up or two on a FREE program?  LOL

norel

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 07:07:01 AM »
A popup or two is one thing, but that how it always starts. You get one, then another, then before you know it you can't turn your computer on without ads hitting you in the face. If that's what a company feels they have to do to get business, then by all means knock yourself out. You have my best wishes. But the way I look at it, there's always another option (and another option will come along). I've never thought of using anything else for the last couple of years and I'm not thinking that seriously about switching now, but I will say, I've opened my mind to the possibility. I'll also think twice before recommending Avast.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:40 AM »
By all means keep speaking your minds friends. We have opinions ranging from "adware parasite" through "very annoying", "easy to exit" and "not annoying".

I can't believe that avast! weren't already well aware that any kind of internal promotion of paid-for versions with the aim of encouraging some people to upgrade might also, as a side-effect, annoy some people (and IMO forum participants are particularly susceptible) who have no intention of moving from "avast! Free". But why?

Kinda reminds me of a community centre I once worked in. The hardest people to manage weren't the paid staff but the volunteers. Not because they were trying to be difficult, but because they'd put their time and effort into the centre they often spoke and behaved like they owned the place and sometimes got very upset when the actual owners did something, however trivial, they didn't agree with and/or without consultation.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:44:54 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Tetsuo

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »
A popup or two is one thing, but that how it always starts. You get one, then another, then before you know it you can't turn your computer on without ads hitting you in the face. If that's what a company feels they have to do to get business, then by all means knock yourself out. You have my best wishes. But the way I look at it, there's always another option (and another option will come along). I've never thought of using anything else for the last couple of years and I'm not thinking that seriously about switching now, but I will say, I've opened my mind to the possibility. I'll also think twice before recommending Avast.

+1
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:53:04 PM by Tetsuo »

CharlieSummers

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
A popup or two is one thing, but that how it always starts.
<snip>
I'll also think twice before recommending Avast.

Another agreement, something I said a few weeks ago when the first pop-up ad appeared...apparently it didn't make enough quick cash for the company, so the kids in the ad department decided to be even more obnoxious, as I predicted. Nothing like being proven correct. I have to admit I wasn't terribly surprised when I fired up the virtual computer that has Avast installed and found the annoying advertising box. Avast is right on-track to join AVG, Avira, and others down that familiar road to annoying their users. I know, I know, the apologists keep saying, "accept the ads for the free software," but if the software (which is, by the way, designed to prevent unwanted advertising popups!) requires this interruption to the day, it isn't "free."

(*sigh*) Too bad...I had no problem with the ad in the configuration panel, because while it was frequently seen by the user it didn't interfere with anything. I warned when the alert popup showed up that Avast was on-track to follow the other anti-virus sleezeballs in pushing on its users a constant stream of advertising, and clearly was correct. (A stream of "one-off" ads aren't "one-off" at all.) I'm mildly sad that I was correct in my assessment, and in having moved most of those I originally pointed toward Avast to a competitor who is too new to tick off its users, instead trying to grow its user base. I have also warned those folks that eventually this software, too, will decide to be disruptive in its quest to monetize its base for some quick cash and that they should be prepared to move again at that point.

This is really the problem with "free" software. I'm old enough to remember when free meant free - commercial companies routinely had a less-capable version of their software available for free, and trusted that their users would purchase the commercial version should they need the additional capabilities. No nag, no push, just a simple demonstration that their product was capable and solid.

Now, though, it's all about the push. And those of you who think it's "no big deal" are proof positive that intrusive advertising campaigns work, at least for the masses. Clearly my brain is wired wrong...instead of this intrusive claptrap being a "trigger" to a purchase like the, "do you want fries with that?", it just disgusts me. And to the "evangelists" who constantly defend Avast...how far away do you think you are from the AVG/Avira model of getting one of these with every update? And how much of that will be your fault?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:49:17 PM by CharlieSummers »

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »

I'll also think twice before recommending Avast.
And offer what instead ???

commercial companies routinely had a less-capable version of their software available for free
But this is where Avast is different. It isn't a lesser product.
The free version uses the same engine to protect you as the paid product.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
Sorry but you are accusing all the 'evangelists' of defending avast ???

We are just sharing our opinion and I don't know why you are actually annoyed with that.

Like I said, it is a one-time event. You can go to AIS and try it for 15 days and if you don't like it, you can still go back to the free version.

So there is nothing wrong about that! >:(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:01:38 PM by Shiw »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
And to the "evangelists" who constantly defend Avast...

???

There is also a discussion going on among the Evangelist's, and with the Avast! Staff as well.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

CharlieSummers

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »
But this is where Avast is different. It isn't a lesser product.

Wow; that is one of the oddest things I've read today. Assuming that were true, then why would anyone purchase the paid version?

The free version uses the same engine to protect you as the paid product.

Which is irrelevant to the free version of the software being, "less-capable" (the phrase I used and that you quoted); otherwise the comparason chart among the free and various paid versions wouldn't be necessary. The engine is only part of the software, the free version is indeed "less-capable" (as demonstrated by the linked chart), making Avast no different than the software of yore I referenced (except for the in-your-face advertising push, of course), and conveniently ignoring this by focusing on only one part of the software is disingenuous at best, and intentionally misleading at worst.

(*shrug*) I believe it is a mistake for me to become so emotionally attached to any software that I can't argue its merits and demerits rationally. Truthfully, I am routinely suspect of anything I put into my computer (even if I've written it!) and prepared to dump it at a moment's notice when something better or less offensive comes along, and doubly-so software I recommend to those non-business, non-computer-literate folks I counsel. But I am the only person I hold to that philosophy.

Anyway, I am quit with this, since it's pretty clear this has devolved into a quasi-religions argument instead of one based on reason and observation. That leaves those of us with no belief structure when it comes to anti-virus software (wow...I'm a software agnostic!) at a distinct disadvantage, and reasoned discussion impossible.