Author Topic: very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!  (Read 27387 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
reasoned discussion impossible.
That is usually the case when ones mind is made up and not open to reasonable discussion.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

YoKenny

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »
reasoned discussion impossible.
That is usually the case when ones mind is made up and not open to reasonable discussion.  :)
Maybe CharlieSummers should switch to MSE!

I am one of the lucky ones that has not seen the pop-up yet!

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
But this is where Avast is different. It isn't a lesser product.

Wow; that is one of the oddest things I've read today. Assuming that were true, then why would anyone purchase the paid version?

The free version uses the same engine to protect you as the paid product.

Which is irrelevant to the free version of the software being, "less-capable" (the phrase I used and that you quoted); otherwise the comparason chart among the free and various paid versions wouldn't be necessary. The engine is only part of the software, the free version is indeed "less-capable" (as demonstrated by the linked chart), making Avast no different than the software of yore I referenced (except for the in-your-face advertising push, of course), and conveniently ignoring this by focusing on only one part of the software is disingenuous at best, and intentionally misleading at worst.

(*shrug*) I believe it is a mistake for me to become so emotionally attached to any software that I can't argue its merits and demerits rationally. Truthfully, I am routinely suspect of anything I put into my computer (even if I've written it!) and prepared to dump it at a moment's notice when something better or less offensive comes along, and doubly-so software I recommend to those non-business, non-computer-literate folks I counsel. But I am the only person I hold to that philosophy.

Anyway, I am quit with this, since it's pretty clear this has devolved into a quasi-religions argument instead of one based on reason and observation. That leaves those of us with no belief structure when it comes to anti-virus software (wow...I'm a software agnostic!) at a distinct disadvantage, and reasoned discussion impossible.

Thanks Charlie for so passionately challenging us all to become less emotionally attached, to embrace rationality, and to be routinely suspect.

Enthusiastic Bob may be, even overly so at times. But Quasi-religious?

The Epistle of Bob to the Avastians
"But this is where Avast is different. It isn't a lesser product."
"The free version uses the same engine to protect you as the paid product."

Take it from me, Bob is definitely not the Messiah!

"Why would anyone purchase the paid version?"
Easy. Because I use it commercially.

You're right. Anyone without a belief structure (if that were possible) must be at a distinct disadvantage.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:43:21 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
No one really likes the advertising but if you use the free version you simply have to expect some marketing tactic's to take place otherwise how are avast going to keep funding such an excellent product such as the free version for free ! simply put is that if people hate the advertising that much then purchase one of the paid versions and stop complaining about a great product that you recieve for nothing, even with the ad's that have been viewed as of late they are still far less than other free competiters and your getting a better product with avast.

Cough up or shut up  ;)

ady4um

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
it's pretty clear this has devolved into a quasi-religions argument instead of one based on reason and observation. That leaves those of us with no belief structure when it comes to anti-virus software (wow...I'm a software agnostic!) at a distinct disadvantage, and reasoned discussion impossible.

This topic was not supposed to turn into this, at least I sincerely wasn't expecting it.

@CharlieSummers, I'm sorry you feel like that. IMNSHO, I don't see those unreasonable quasi-religion arguments as a group (evangelists, or any frequent forum member or long-time Avast user, or whatever). Individuals are expressing whatever they want, as long as it is not off-topic and they respect netiquette rules. And this type of free expression can be seen in MANY topics of this forum. I have not seen many (or any) "group" expressions / positions / opinions in Avast forum.

Unfortunately, not many actual suggestions were expressed here in this topic either :(.

Tetsuo

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
I respect all the opinions but I really hope that the "Marketing Team" will look more at the "normal user" posts/reactions in this thread than at the Evangelists' opinions.

Because we are talking about marketing strategies and we all know the literal meaning of the word "evangelist", right? They are already hardcore followers and don't need to be persuaded... Moreover, IMHO they are not as objective as a normal user in subjects like this.

I have no intention to offend anyone with my post. If I did, please accept my sincere apologies.

At this point I have nothing else to add, I'm quit with this. Thanks everyone and sorry for my very poor English.

Kind regards,
T.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
Not all evangelists are happy about this step, so there is no group policy on this; each person is their own master and have their own opinion.

Someone should hold a fire under those in marketing to come to the forums and explain why the decision was taken to steal focus, probably the thing people hate most. Or at least see the venom that focus stealing pop-up create.

So when users see a focus stealing pop-up they are most likely to dismiss it out of hand without even reading it. They just X it out, which kind of defeats any idea that someone might just try it.

I really have no problem with promoting the paid products, it is already done in the Summary screen and we saw the summer offer toaster pop-up, which didn't steal focus and I feel more generally accepted as they are less intrusive.

But crossing into the focus stealing pop-up arena is a step too far; it has upset a lot of people and honestly I can't see it working as most people will dismiss it out of hand without even reading it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »
But crossing into the focus stealing pop-up arena is a step too far; it has upset a lot of people and honestly I can't see it working as most people will dismiss it out of hand without even reading it.
David I totally agree with you. I think it probably is doing more harm that good but,
That doesn't change the fact that avast! is still the best free AV available and for me
the ads as annoying as they may be still will not make me change to something
that offers less protection just because it might not have any annoying ads.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:59:26 PM by bob3160 »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

login123

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 07:56:15 PM »
So how often is the little sucker actually gonna pop up?   :)
Every time it auto-updates?  
I can't tell because I have not let the change become permanent yet.  
I ask because in the past I have told people that the only Avast! popups they should see are advisories that it has updated, and unanticipated popups often link to unwanted consequences.  

Thanks in advance.  Avast! is a great antivirus.  

Gargamel360

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »
This should only pop one time.  Please report any instance to the contrary.

login123

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
OK.  Thanks for the quick reply.  :)  Will try it out in a little while. 

bobo1

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »
Yep Happened today on update today. Just ignored it and closed it!!!! ;D

norel

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
I hold no grudges for a company wanting to make money, everyone has to eat. But I question whether it's in a company's best interest to upset the free user base, as these people make up a high percentage of free word-of-mouth advertising. A thumbs up or thumbs down from an actual person who's used the product can be a lot more influential than marketing ads. While it may seem like a company's being generous in giving away free software so people should just shut up and tolerate whatever nuicances come along with it, I don't see it that way. We're providing a valuble service and Alwil should remember that.

ady4um

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:59 AM »
Not all evangelists are happy about this step, so there is no group policy on this; each person is their own master and have their own opinion.
+1
So when users see a focus stealing pop-up they are most likely to dismiss it out of hand without even reading it. They just X it out, which kind of defeats any idea that someone might just try it.
+1
+1

But that is the "marketing" related issue. Any kind of advertisement, any method used to try to improve income and gains will eventually fail if the TECHNICAL ("real") aspect of it is failing.

I am talking about "almost-full-screen stealing-focus ad", "15 day trial" and "go back to Free with a simple click", simultaneously with a program update (1203 -> 1289, which has its own problems with no relation to the ads). All this is NOT working correctly in "too many" cases, and it has been multiplied by doing all this simultaneously.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
Because we are talking about marketing strategies and we all know the literal meaning of the word "evangelist", right? They are already hardcore followers and don't need to be persuaded... Moreover, IMHO they are not as objective as a normal user in subjects like this.

You're wrong, imo.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0