Author Topic: very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!  (Read 27491 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: very annoying popup ad in latest avast update!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »
Because we are talking about marketing strategies and we all know the literal meaning of the word "evangelist", right? They are already hardcore followers and don't need to be persuaded... Moreover, IMHO they are not as objective as a normal user in subjects like this.

You're wrong, imo.
+1
In many instances we are more critical because we are more familiar than most with the product.
These criticisms aren't usually express in this open forum but rather in a closed forum only meant for
Avast and Evangelists.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
Because we are talking about marketing strategies and we all know the literal meaning of the word "evangelist", right? They are already hardcore followers and don't need to be persuaded... Moreover, IMHO they are not as objective as a normal user in subjects like this.

You're wrong, imo.
+1
In many instances we are more critical because we are more familiar than most with the product.
These criticisms aren't usually express in this open forum but rather in a closed forum only meant for
Avast and Evangelists.

+1
You are definitely wrong on that as in these forums it is just one of a number of artificial forum rankings (like there are on other forums). This was based on post count alone, originally it was set at a lowly 300 posts.

So there are many times in which a so called evangelist disagrees with something and they are strong willed enough to speak out if something isn't right. Whilst not all of those will be using the free version so won't be seeing the pop-up they still know what is or isn't reasonable in their opinion, not following any party line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharlieSummers

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
You are definitely wrong on that as in these forums it is just one of a number of artificial forum rankings

This was my mistake, for which I sincerely apologize; I used "evangelist" almost certainly because of seeing the term here, but I was not referencing every member with that behind their forum name. I was specifically referencing those few here who are myopic in their love for Avast, constantly referring to it as, "the best" and promoting it even when there's no particular reason to do so. (I an not generally putting Avast down, only noting that no software can universally be "the best" for every situation. Most independent reviews place Avast somewhere in the top tier, but none agree with others as to a "best" for everything. I never receive email on a Windows machine, for example, so anything that scores highly in that task would not be "the best" for me. Someone who uses no IM application wouldn't care about that...people who reject javascript by default might not care about web safe lists...etc...etc.)

Perhaps I should have said "apostle" or "zealot" or the more awkward "proselytizer" instead of "evangelist;" and yes, the religious overtone of all of these descriptives is intentional as it implies a level of faith instead of objective review. Regardless, a quick read of these forums, and the critical (applying criticism, not vitally important) advertising posts in particular, will clearly show there are a few here who will defend and promote Avast, period. It is those people I referenced and, I believe, others have when suggesting some here are already, "hardcore followers," not those forum members with a bunch of posts under their belts. And I don't even fault them for their emotional attachment, simply recognize it and then ignore those comments stemming from it.

Truth is, I only wanted Alwil Software management to know that not only does this particular consultant who started recommending Avast specifically because it didn't utilize the deplorable advertising tactics so evident in AVG, Avira, and others find their gauche push advertising unacceptable, but he has strongly recommended to others it should be removed from their system and replaced with anti-virus software that according to independent reviews is also somewhere in the top tier and does not (yet, though certainly it inevitably will) annoy its users in this fashion. They need to add to their calculus the reach of negative word-of-mouth...especially those of us unashamed to shoot them off loudly and frequently.

Anything else I probably should have kept to myself anyway, since it is inevitable (as I said before) that reasonable discussion on the merits of this would be impossible in a forum designed to support and promote the product. There are plenty of other places on the Net where Avast is, "taking it on the chin" for this intrusive decision...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »
Perhaps you shouldn't try to pin any name on it at all, as that too can be inflammatory and that isn't going to progress anything. It just takes it away from the point of the original posters topic.

All they are is people with opposing views/opinions to yours or mine, etc. they too have their right to hold an opinion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

login123

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »
This should only pop one time.  Please report any instance to the contrary.

Apparently correct.  Have had 2 or 3 auto updates since, only that first popup. 
So it's not bad imho, no blame to anyone for trying to make a little money. 
Might be better if the popup itself said something to the effect that it is a one time offer, won't pop up again, is safe, etc. 
Thanks again.  :)

Offline Nick W

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »
This should only pop one time.  Please report any instance to the contrary.

On my computer the pop up ad is appearing every time I log in. I have the paid version and the license does not expire until Nov 2012.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 11:26:38 AM »

On my computer the pop up ad is appearing every time I log in. I have the paid version and the license does not expire until Nov 2012.

Please post a screenshot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Nick W

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »

Here you are.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
This should only pop one time.  Please report any instance to the contrary.

OK, avast! are obviously trying to have people move to the avast6 product range as avast 4.8 hasn't had a program update for some considerable time, there aren't any further program updates in the pipeline as far as I'm aware and will soon be discontinued.

The Ad for you is somewhat misleading, as this is an upgrade offer to the full Internet Security product and not just the avast6 Pro version. If you have a legit license, you can convert your existing license to one that will work with avast6 (for the remaining period of your existing license) update to avast6 at no cost. Then I would recommend a clean install of avast Pro 6.0.1289.

- avast! 5/6 Pro license convert from 4.8 Pro license. Try http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php now, fill in the form giving your email and 4.8 Pro License key and they will send the new license file to you.

Obviously any update/upgrade to the avast6 products depends on your having a supported Operating System, win2k SP4, WinXP SP2 (or higher), Vista or win7.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »

Here you are.

That's no ad, it's an upgrade notification. ;)
For further info see Dave's reply above.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Nick W

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
David and Asyn,

Thanks for your input. I will try the licence conversion, though it only says to v5 on the linked page.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
You're welcome.

The license is the same license file style from avast 5 through 6, which is why I mentioned in it my post, the web page could do with reflecting that also.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
David and Asyn,

Thanks for your input.

You're welcome..!

jargonize

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 12:15:31 AM »
i also have avast 4.8 and i get that pop up everyday, it's not cool for a paid version and then to have a nag screen besides. is there a way to get rid of it?  other wise happy with avast, but will not renew if avast sends adware in there updates.   thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:25 AM »
It is basically telling you avast 4.8 is obsolete, it hasn't had an update for some time and won;'t have any more program updates. They are trying to phase out avast 4.8, it costs nothing to update if you have time left on your current legit license.

As this topic says the only reason why not to update is if your OS doesn't support avast6.