Author Topic: AVAST Internet Security 6.0.1.1289 - Regular BSOD  (Read 3748 times)

WarrenG

AVAST Internet Security 6.0.1.1289 - Regular BSOD
« on: September 12, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »
O.K. guys this is now really doing my head in.  :'(

Current system Windows XP.

I've used the free Avast for years and have always recommended it, but I now have a problem with the paid verison of Avast Internat Security 6 following a Windows XP Repair virus which I might add, wasn't picked up by Avast!.

I have run numbers of scans including Malwarebytes etc to make sure the systemn is clean and have also installed / unistalled Avast on a number of occasions using the Avast clean tool.

I am still having problems with the paid version, but ironically if I install the free verion I seem to have no problem?

The BSOD errors include:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP   

I have the Bluescreenview software which is highlighting these errors for me.

My biggest ptroblem is that windows was pre-installed and I cannot for the life of me find the origional discs.   :-[  So a fix would be appreciated.

I am begining to start to dislike Avast because of the problems it is causing to the system.  Please help to restore my faith in the product.

YoKenny

Re: AVAST Internet Security 6.0.1.1289 - Regular BSOD
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »
If you have Bluescreenview it should also be reporting the drivers involved in the BSOD ?

- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file. Not to mention posting the name of the file you uploaded in the topic acts as another searchable reference.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.
Or
- Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

####
Excuse me if I'm teaching your granny to suck eggs:
- First you have to create your zip file with the unique name, containing the dump files and the readme.txt file, before you even consider connection to the ftp location explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. You do not have read permissions on the explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming location, so you won't see it has been uploaded.

Now you make your first windows explorer connection to the ftp link explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, now open another explorer window where you locate your unique zip file containing the dump and readme.txt files; drag and drop that file into the other explorer window (right hand side), no need to click enter or any other action.

####
How did you remove Windows XP Repair, if anything is left there is a possibility there might be some conflict ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:02:36 PM »
scary cause i just got memory management BSOD ...
it was out of the blue (after exiting everything running and then trying normal OS reboot)

in my case i can't provide crashdumps cause since early summer my OS decided no more saving mini/kernel/full dumps
and i ran out of all possible solutions (from MS or tech websites) how 'enable them'

https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

WarrenG

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:51:06 PM »
Hi Thanks all for your replys.

DavidR

Bluescreen View reports the following Drivers involved:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

hal.dll
ntoskrnl.exe

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

ntoskrnl.exe

UNEXPECTED_KERNAL_MODE_TRAP

aswSnx.SYS
ntoskrnl.exe

Looks like there is at least one recurring culprit?

I uninstalled Windows Repair XP via this link:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-xp-repair hopefully its all gone?  Problem is, it wasn't picked up by Avast in the first place so I can only hope that the system is clean after scanning with Malwarebytes?

I will try to upload a memory dump file.

WarrenG

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
I have zipped the C:\Windows\Minidump\ files but I'm having trouble trying to get them uploaded?

If I drag the file into the IE explorer page, winzip just pops up and opens?

Am I missing something here?  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »
Try my second option using a windows explorer window to windows explorer window which is what the image is showing (click to expand)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WarrenG

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
I DavidR,

I have tried the second option and found that winzip still pops up?

See attachement.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:52:05 PM »
The second option doesn't open IE, it opens explorer!

Quote from: DavidR
- Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another windows explorer window.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:54:18 PM by DavidR »