Author Topic: Avast Update Not Working  (Read 3568 times)

zelisoma

Avast Update Not Working
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
I hope the topic is not too redundant, I didn't find a good answer.
I use Avast free since long, but I never could download updates otherwise than manually.
I did another try to solve the problem and removed avast from Ashampoo Firewall, launched update in avast, but didn't even got a warning from the firewall. (using winXPsp3 also)

I tried to find a hint in knoweldge base but only a list of file to set in firewall that doesn't seems to be named same way in avast 6.

Is there anything I didn't do properly ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Update Not Working
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »
You don't actually say what you found or more crucially what you tried.
If you are able to do a manual update, then the firewall isn't blocking avast.setup, so it may just be necessary to change the avastUI, Settings, Updates, Proxy Settings to Direct connection (no proxy), only if you don't use a proxy to connect.

####
Aa a last resort:
You only need a good search as there are a number of reports of the Ashampoo Firewall blocking the avast update. No matter what was tried, it failed, only when Ashampoo was uninstalled did the update work. Plus whichever firewall replaced ashampoo firewall it was OK.

This was reported to ashampoo (support) by one of those posting in the forums and they essentially said it won't work with ashampoo. I'm not sure if it is the inability of ashampoo to work with a file (avast.setup) that is only created when needed or not. Nor am I sure if this is now resolved in a later version of ashampoo firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »
I use Avast free since long, but I never could download updates otherwise than manually.
what AV did you have before installing avast! ?
have you uninstalled it ?
did you use a removal tool to clear any leftovers ?

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:01:32 PM »
The simplest change, just to try and test if it solves the problem, is what DavidR said:

Avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "Direct connection (no proxy)".

In that same tab page, you have the options for engine and database automatic updates, so review the setting to confirm it is correctly set up.

Save and reboot (in theory, reboot is not necessary, but it will restart the update frequency of Avast and it is easier to troubleshoot).

Test this situation during several hours (no less than 4 hours, 24hs recommended).

Please report back. If it doesn't work, then more steps and checks might be necessary (like Pondus asked).

zelisoma

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
My Windows setup is recent and I didn't used another anti-virus.
The setting, Direct connection didn't worked.
I think I'll consider using a new Firewall if it's the most propable probleme.
Thank you for answers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
You're welcome and yes there have been lots of problems posted in the forums with the avast update and the ashampoo firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zelisoma

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16:04 PM »
I installed Comodo Firewall and the update work properly. Thank you again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:31:52 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.