Author Topic: avast! Free Antivirus & Windows 7 Firewall  (Read 4594 times)

Tweakerz

avast! Free Antivirus & Windows 7 Firewall
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:45:39 AM »
I have looked around and saw mentions of avast and the win7 firewall before and many speak of using Avast Internet Security but I haven't seen specific replies that address the occasion (but annoying) issues I have observed.

avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1289
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Most of the time these run fine together but occasionally I lose internet and instead of disabling Web Shield as I see many posts mentioned I disable Win7 FW and it works fine, then re-enable and it eventually has an issue here and there at random times. Curious if anyone else has noticed similar problems and if they found any resolutions. No specific timeframe or usages seem to cause this and it can often times be days between incidents so I have not pin-pointed any potential reasons, suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks.

(I forgot to mention that I notice this with multiple web browsers but my messengers remain connected that I recall, I will make a point of checking to be certain however. I did add avast to the FW exclusions but if there are very specific suggestions to how best to configure that would be appreciated)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:51:20 AM by Tweakerz »

ady4um

Re: avast! Free Antivirus & Windows 7 Firewall
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
Try:

Avast main GUI -> Web Shield -> expert settings -> "...well known browser only".

Save and reboot (not necessarily needed, but best for troubleshooting).

This may or may not be your problem. I am only guessing, and there are many other possible conflicts/solutions.

About the default firewall in Windows Seven, it shouldn't need any specific rule, unless (maybe) if you are using advance firewall settings.

Change the Avast setting, delete the firewall rule (recommended anyway), reboot, test, and report back.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »
Exclusions are not necessary in the windows firewall for avast.

Tweakerz

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I took care of the rules in FW and wi;; try the Avast main GUI -> Web Shield -> expert settings -> "...well known browser only" change, saw that and figured better to just ask rather than sit around toying with settings constantly. I'll see how it goes over the next week or so as it is very random and works the majority of the time.  8)