Author Topic: Avast Tray Icon disappears on Win7  (Read 23070 times)

ady4um

Re: Avast Tray Icon disappears on Win7
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
If you are able to reconfigure your Avast settings, you could try resetting Avast.

Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> Restore factory defaults -> check both checkboxes and "reset now".

Please reboot after the change and only *then* test it.

ady4um

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »
BTW, can you try setting Avast in English?

Avast -> settings -> language -> english -> install additional language -> ok -> REBOOT.

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
hello

Is AvastUi.exe running after system reboot?
You may check this by pressing ctrl+shift+escape.

thanks
Yonatan

dvirkk

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
4- This is the process list just as the boot ended.
5 - No tray icon.

Changing to English made no difference.

ady4um

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 03:50:18 PM »
I wonder if this is somehow related to a RTL Windows system.

Have you tried using Avast Clear Uninstall Utility DIRECTLY under Windows Safe Mode, SKIPPING "Add/Remove programs"?

Download first the latest stable Free edition/build from the official website ANEW, and the removal tool from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, then reboot in Windows Safe Mode and run the removal tool (setting/using the current Avast folder), but do NOT run the "Add/Remove programs".

Reinstall Avast anew under Windows Normal Mode, and reboot immediately.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then there is some other unusual incompatibility/conflict.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 03:51:10 PM »
Can you try

Settings -> troubleshooting -> load avast service after other system services?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
4- This is the process list just as the boot ended.
5 - No tray icon.

Changing to English made no difference.
Something is not right here as the avastui is only showing 120k usage so something is not being implimented correctly, as i mentioned in an earlyer post about you reinstalling avast - did you delet avast and then run the removal tool in safe mode which would enable you to do a clean install ?

dvirkk

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 04:59:24 PM »
Uninstalled avast, reboot in safe mode, run util for uninstall, reboot, re-install.
AvastUI*32 Still there, 116K.

I have just realized - when I click the avast shortcut, and avast does show it's tray (and  the main window) there are two processes (see image) with the name AVASTUI.

Is that right?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:05:49 PM by dvirkk »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
I think we've just about exhusted all possibilitys here, the only other thing i can think of is trying to shut down some third part addons to see if that has any effect ( ie battery meter ) even the language bar but that shouldn't affect it.

Maybe the developers could have a look at this thread as if needed they could get you to copy the system information file and email it to them in nfo format to see what on your system maybe causing this.

ady4um

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
The first thing "we" need is not devs and nothing special. That might come later (or not). The first thing is for dvirkk to follow instructions correctly.

Uninstalled avast, reboot in safe mode, run util for uninstall, reboot, re-install.

I think I was clear enough in my instructions, and that's not what I suggested/requested.

I have just realized - when I click the avast shortcut, and avast does show it's tray (and the main window) there are two processes (see image) with the name AVASTUI.

And I specifically requested NOT to do this, so the "real" behaviours would show up (specially in services).

So, dvir, please read again my instructions to run the removal tool under Safe mode while skipping the normal uninstallation, and selecting the correct folder in the removal tool. All the conditions need to be meet (safe mode..., skip..., folder..., admin permissions and so on).

I also asked you about RTL Windows, and a specific Avast Team member also posted here.

If you want to follow the instructions, we'll gladly wait for your feedback.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »
ady4um, dvirkk has followed the uninstall instructions i gave and they are correct.

I believe you are wasting the op's time and effort and suggesting things that are pointless to satisfiy your own curiosity which seem's to be going off in the wrong direction.

Iv reported the thread to the mods for them to look into because if this keep dragging on like this with no resolution, dont know about dvirkk but i would have tried a fresh install of the operating system or already moved to a new av.

ady4um

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
ady4um, dvirkk has followed the uninstall instructions i gave and they are correct.

@craigb,

No they are not. He already tried more than once the "normal" method, including the removal tool.

My instructions were different, in purpose. He MUST skip the Add/remove programs step. We (you and I) have already talked about this in past topics, and I have already seen this type of strange behaviours (but the solution is not always the same, depending on MANY other things other than Avast).

He already dismissed my instructions at least twice, and you are, once again, questioning CORRECT instructions (that HAVE successfully solved this type of display problems).

In addition, dvir probably has an RTL Windows, which only makes the troubleshooting more difficult. Yonatan also asked him something (although I "think" the answered was previously posted), and he should know better in dvir's situation.

What you think are "not-related" directions, are not such. It simply depends on experience on "strange situations", as oppose to giving the frequently known and frequently useful methods. They won't work in this case, but the first reason to fail is that dvir is trying to use "shortcuts". Those shortcuts usually work, but not when the issue is out of the normal.

If dvir wants additional help, he already knows what to do. Or he can wait for an Avast Team member to come back here.

Dvir, good luck.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
Yawn  ::)

dvirkk

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »
Although I don't really appreciate the judgment of my character and the tone of this thread I figured just for the sake of argument and to satisfy my curiosity I'll re-do everything again according to ady4um.
There was a skipping, safe mode uninstall with the util, reboot, and reinstall (English)... reboot right away (to keep the bad bytes away) and nothing pressed afterwards. There is one process called avastiu 124k and nothnig on the tray.
BTW this is not an RTL system.
So... I guess it's time for the AVAST team to come into the ring :) Otherwise I'll take craigb's advice and just go to sleep with a new AV.

Gargamel360

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
Do you have the Avast! desktop gadget installed?  I don't, but if I remember right, when I tried it when it 1st released, it trumped the tray icon.