Author Topic: Avast Tray Icon disappears on Win7  (Read 23069 times)

dvirkk

Re: Avast Tray Icon disappears on Win7
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
Nope. Don't have it installed. Thanks

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
Hi Dvir

I'm looking at this problem, it appears that AavastUI hangs there after failing to initialize properly.
If I got it right, when you start avast from the desktop shortcut, it is displayed?

Yonatan

ady4um

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
I'm looking at this problem, it appears that AavastUI hangs there after failing to initialize properly.
If I got it right, when you start avast from the desktop shortcut, it is displayed?

Yonatan

Yep, that's the behaviour he sees:

Clicking on the Avast shortcut brings the icon back to tray, as it is running in the backround

dvirkk

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »
I can add that when I've changed the properties of avastui.exe file to "Run always as Admin" then at computer startup the UAC popup requested permission for the file to run and then Avast would start properly with one process, the right memory size and a tray icon. Since this approval took place at every startup I was very frustrated. Removed Spyboy (although it wasn't resident) and tried again the whole remove (safe+avast util) and reinstall this time running the setup file "as admin" (this was suggested by avast support over an email) but this has not resolved the issue.

I have also found an interesting article about avast not showing for delaying the system startup:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/89227.aspx
but after quickly looking at the alerts there I figured this was not the solution for my problem.

Some one who solved a similar issue by uninstalling avast with Appremover and deleting some registry leftovers manually - tried that - didn't make any difference.

I don't know how much trash was created on my computer after all of those installs-uninstalls but since the Avast support team basically stopped replying to my questions via email - I've just removed everything, had to go back to a restore point and installed a different free Anti-Virus program (AVG). I guess I'll keep following this post and might try Avast again later on.
Great Day and thanks for trying to help.

JRM75

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »

Some one who solved a similar issue by uninstalling avast with Appremover and deleting some registry leftovers manually - tried that - didn't make any difference.

most of those programs including TU undelete, etc. don't really remove all the registry entries from almost any program. You can still search and find some of them in the registry. Also, system restore won't restore most program settings and system settings. For example, Avast 6.0.1000 can keep the same program settings no matter what system restore point is chosen. Though not sure if later builds fix this for Avast!, however it just shows that a clean install of your OS could be an option for resolving this (just make a good backup of all your stuff).

For also resolving the Avast Icon in the taskbar and UI problems:

You can try Microsoft Fix Ithttp://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

You can try booting in safemode DSREPAIR

You can try enabling the system admin account on welcome screen, and logging into that to see if Avast! works their. Use the ultimate windows tweaker, to do this. It's easier http://download.cnet.com/Ultimate-Windows-Tweaker/3000-2094_4-10915128.html

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:36:03 PM by JRM75 »

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »
thanks for reporting, we will try to reproduce it here.

texneus

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 03:00:06 AM »
I have the exact same issue in Win7 x64.  Avast has been installed on five different machines but one is being problematic (a Lenovo T420i).  Tried these remedies none have worked.  Avast tray icon will show up about maybe 1/3 of the time, otherwise all symptoms are exactly as described.  Has a fix been found?