Author Topic: Windows 8 will ship with MSE...  (Read 13219 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows 8 will ship with MSE...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »
People will have large screen systems at home for some considerable time and there is no way they are going to want an OS that is based on the touch screen experience. The conventional keyboard and mouse are still going to be required.

So any OS that ignores that in the medium term is going to suffer if the experience is so painful.

Laptops with larger than tablet size screens will also be around for some time too and that requires the use of a keyboard and touchpad/mouse interface.

I have had my win7 netbook since the end of December last year and with a 10.1" 1024x600 resolution screen, if this is what were are all about to be using, its cr*p for anything but short periods of time. So there is still very much a need for larger screens.

Does anyone remember Microsoft's failed excursion into the large 'tabletop' screen experience, that took off like a lead balloon.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:07:14 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
just for what it's worth, some documents got leaked recently, showing how next generation Apple devices will integrate projection, that says it all. You won't use a vertical screen anymore unless you want to play a game or watch a movie. Common office applications will be run on tablets usually, and if you still want to run them on a vertical screen (actual screen or projected image doesn't matter), you'll need something else than a mouse...  ;D David I can already control my laptop from my iPod touch, using the touch screen as a touch pad ;-) ... as to the keyboard used remotely, you'll have to use the one available on your tablet or your smartphone.

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »
The more I see and hear about Win 8, the less I like it. I can't see this AV deal becoming a reality though. The antitrust people and the security vendors will probably put a stop to it, as they should. MSE is not a very good AV in the first place and I wouldn't trust it in what sounds like a stripped down integrated version at all.

Gargamel360

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
The antitrust people and the security vendors will probably put a stop to it, as they should.
Ehhh....maybe....but MS is flying under the radar at the moment.  When they first got hit with the anti-trust, there was no foreseeable competition.  Now Apple is richer than the U.S. government, and Google is powerful in its own right, both these companies are attracting a lot of attention that used to be squarely on MS.

Either way, I am no fan of Windows "features" that I can not uninstall when I want.  I already have a broken WMP that I can't reinstall as a step to try get it working again.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 03:31:03 AM »
I don't know why you're so upset over the interface.
I now have a smart phone on a desktop.  ;D Something I can actually see.  :)

Something new is usually received with objections. Eventually we all get used to it
and, somewhere down the road most people start saying "I wonder how we ever did with out this."  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 05:09:10 AM »
I also am not a fan of the Metro Interface. More than having to reach for the screen to use touch is the issue of fingerprints all over the screen. I like my desktop and taskbar, thank you very much. I don't have a tablet, don't plan on ever having one and don't feel a need for a smart phone either.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 05:37:18 AM »
One thing that would be nice in windows if Microsoft was to have themes like..

• Windows XP theme
  • Windows Vista Theme
  • Windows 7 Theme
  • Windows 8 Theme
Edit:  I would hate to have MSE installed and not uninstallable.. I hope Microsoft makes a good decesion by not shipping Windows 8 with MSE
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:13:54 PM by Coolmario88cp »
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 06:54:33 AM »
We'll have to wait and see what's going to be in the final release but i dont think MSE will make it in unless they make it so it can be uninstalled, windows 7 wasn't even allowed to have a mail client installed so i'd expect a short life of this MSE idea.

Dch48

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 07:05:41 PM »
People will have large screen systems at home for some considerable time and there is no way they are going to want an OS that is based on the touch screen experience. The conventional keyboard and mouse are still going to be required.

So any OS that ignores that in the medium term is going to suffer if the experience is so painful.

Laptops with larger than tablet size screens will also be around for some time too and that requires the use of a keyboard and touchpad/mouse interface.

I have had my win7 netbook since the end of December last year and with a 10.1" 1024x600 resolution screen, if this is what were are all about to be using, its cr*p for anything but short periods of time. So there is still very much a need for larger screens.

Does anyone remember Microsoft's failed excursion into the large 'tabletop' screen experience, that took off like a lead balloon.
There will always be a need for the conventional interface. Gamers in particular are not going to switch to tablets and platforms with limited power and expandability. Those who use their PC as their primary entertainment center connected to a large screen TV also will not switch. The PC as we know it will not die any time in the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:09:40 PM by Dch48 »

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 06:08:37 PM »
yeah I forgot to mention , Windows 8 preview already integrates a so called security scan when you download anything through IE (v10) from the metro interface. I saw it happen a couple of times.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
Found this.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9195079/Rival_calls_foul_over_Microsoft_s_delivering_Security_Essentials_via_Windows_Update?taxonomyId=17

As of now it seems it is an optional download for Win7 and earlier.  :)
Thats nothing new, the link is a year old and you only get offered MSE if you dont already have an AV on your system.

When i got the new system in my sig it had TrendMicro on it and as soon as i deleted it i was offered MSE, at least it's not pre checked.

YoKenny

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »
Windows 8 developer conference

On Tuesday Microsoft unveiled more details about the next operation system Windows 8 at BUILD developer conference in Anaheim, California and we could not miss out this event! Avast was always able to fully operate on every next Windows OS starting its public Beta version and our users can rely on us regarding Windows 8.
https://blog.avast.com/2011/09/16/windows-8-conference

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0