Author Topic: BUG: Checking for program updates makes Windows 7 gadgets close  (Read 2258 times)

TheAnima

BUG: Checking for program updates makes Windows 7 gadgets close
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »
Since the latest update (6.0.1289), whenever there is a program update check for new versions of Avast, be it automatic or manual, all Windows gadgets close.

The "sidebar.exe" process itself seems to be force-killed by some part of Avast's program update process. It can be brought back by either manually starting it from Task Manager or the Run dialog box, or right clicking the desktop and selecting "Gadgets".

I understand there is already a topic on this subject. I was the last person who posted in it over a week ago. No one ever answered about this bug. I chose to make a new thread in the interest of the topic possibly being brought to attention and to avoid double posting.

For those who need to know and will probably ask for it:
Avast version: 6.0.1289
Windows version: 7
Other antivirus programs: None
Running the Avast Gadget? No

I had to set my program updates to Manual so I would not lose my gadgets every few hours.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: BUG: Checking for program updates makes Windows 7 gadgets close
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »
Well the progrm updates are already set to ask when an update is available and i dont know why you would be using the program update every few hours anyway.
The engine and virus definitions are set to auto and will check for updates every 4 hours at default and that will not disable the sidebar when the update occurs or even if you were to manually update the engine an def's does not affect the sidebar.
Avast does know about the issue and there will hopefully be a fix one day but it's not that big of a issue as program updates are not that often and as you said simply right clicking the screen and then clicking gadgets brings the bar straight back anyway.

ady4um

Re: BUG: Checking for program updates makes Windows 7 gadgets close
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
and as you said simply right clicking the screen and then clicking gadgets brings the bar straight back anyway.

In addition to craigb's accurate explanation, there is one additional reason that makes this issue not a big problem.

When you really attempt to update the program, whether it success or not, you should reboot you system. Sure, you could wait with the recommended reboot (until something goes wrong); but since the program update is performed only when you decide (and not "immediately" nor "frequently", but only when you actually decide to apply the available program update), then there is no real point in deciding not to reboot.

The reboot takes care of the gadgets "glitch", turning the issue into a "secondary degree" one.