Author Topic: I have problems despite I´ve got avast  (Read 14724 times)

yrrol

I have problems despite I´ve got avast
« on: November 08, 2004, 06:34:10 PM »
Despite i have sucessfully updated the avast today. I still have problems.
Resident Scanner Sensitivity doesn´t work for me, i can`t move the slider and i don´t have the avast symbol in the notification area (next the clock). I had it before. And also I doesn´t  reach my cd-rom unit, I get an error message when I try to run CD`s. I don´t know what´s the problem. It drives me crazy! not fun at all. But i have to keep up the spirit and be aware that i´m having a luxury problem. In the 2´nd worldwar they would have been happy if they only had a minor computerproblem, but still. It´s annoying me heavily.
Greatings from Sweden.
Yrrol

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:I have problems despite I´ve got avast
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 06:37:42 PM »
- What version of Avast?
- What OS?
- Any error(s) in Avast's log file?
- Any error(s) in the system or event log files?

If you have Avast 4.1, I suggest you upgrade to 4.5 for a start. Especially if you have Windows 98(se).

yrrol

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 09:03:50 PM »
Hi Eddy!
Now I have the avast symbol in the notification area again. When I turned on my computer after couple of hours break. The symbol in the notification area showed that i´d got a new updated version. I restarted my computor, and it seems to work. The remaing problem is that I don´t reach my cd-rom unit. The updated version of avast i got now is 4.0.501 - I think i remember right.
I don´t know what OS means?
I have not noticed any errors in any logfile

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 09:28:18 PM »
OS=Operating System.

Avast version 4.1.501 is designed to make the updated to 4.5 go smoother. If you want 4.5 now, there is a beta. Information/instructions

yrrol

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 10:29:46 PM »
Hi Eddy!
Exuse me for my lack of knowledge but is windows 98 an OS? I have win.98.
Now, I have download spyware after your instructions. And it found directly 168 infected files in my computor. I hope it will run better now. I haven´t tested yet if my cd-rom unit works now, but I will when i have wright this.
Greatings from Gothenburg!

yrrol

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 10:44:23 PM »
It is the version 4.1.501 I´d recieve today from avast. And the spyware I did download was spyware BPS 8.2.0.9 from spywarezapper.com
My cd-unit doesn´t work. When i try to run it, a window appear where it says that the E: unit not are ready.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 05:08:32 AM »
Remove SpywareZapper as it is not trusted as can be read HERE

- Is the cd drive recognized in the bios?
- Is the cd drive recognized in device manager?
- Any error(s) in device manager?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 05:09:28 AM by Eddy »

yrrol

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 06:49:44 PM »
Mr Eddy!
My skills of the English language and also my knowledge of computors are limited. Therefore I can´t check what you are asking for, so today I have been trying to reach the guy who have made up my computor on my local computorshop. But he was ill today.
I misunderstood you before. Anyhow, I have taken away the spywarezapper already. I´ll report to you whats happening, but first i want to check up my computor. This is not the first time my cd-rom unit do like this, last time I bought a new computor.
Now, i think that i´ve got a virus who are taken my (drivrutin) from the cd-rom unit. I can´t the English word for (drivrutin) but directly translated it means drivingroutine. Maybe it´s the right word. I don´t know. I´m from Sweden. (That explain it all).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 04:09:13 AM by yrrol »

yrrol

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 04:01:53 AM »
When I try to reach an internetsite, it comes up a window where it stands that my javascript-files are de-activated and also my computor doesn´t shut down correctly. I must shut it down manually. Now I realise that this is the same virus as before when I was forced to buy a new computor last time, because I didn´t have the computors drivingroutines. It was he at the computorshop who downloaded The Avast for me. I don`t have the skills to go into Bios and look. I don`t know what the devicemanager is in English and i don´t get any help from my dictionary. Now when I am wrighting this, my computor works all the time with something, the cursor goes to a timeglas and back constantly. The Virus have taken away my oportunity to use the cd-rom and floppy-disk unit and now it has also taken my javascriptfiles so I can´t download from Internet. I must check if I can join Beta before the virus totally shut down my computor. :'(

yrrol

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 06:03:32 AM »
Before I was going to shut down the computor I was thinking that I will give it a shot, so I scanned my computor again with Avast. And now the system found The Virus. My computor started directly to sound normal, it didn´t work as much as it did before, and the cursor who was turning back and forth to a timeglas became normal.

My Virus was in c:\WINDOWS\DownloadedProgramFiles\WinAdToolsX.dll
result infection: Win 32:A
File was succesfully moved to chest

What do I do next?
I`ve scanned my cd-rom and floppy-disk unit aswell, but there wasn´t any viruses. I´ve checked if they work, but they don´t.
So I assume that I must get new drivingroutines for the units and also new javascriptfiles.
I´m not only a newbie in Avast. I´m also a beginner on Internet, so it`s very important for me that I have a system who works properly until I´ve learned to use Internet and feel comfortable with it. It is a huge problem for the user to have a virus before he/she understand how the system works whitout a virus.
Eddy please help me, I don`t want problems with viruses again. I rather pay to avoid viruses in my computor again.
Greatings from a happy Avast fan!

yrrol

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 06:16:21 AM »
And I don´t know how to download Beta. Do I go to archive and import export? Now I must go to my work as a carpenter.
By by until after work.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 11:09:51 AM »
Instructions on how to update to 4.5 beta (See the first post by Vlk there)

So you have two problems left.

1] the javascript error. I assume you are using Internet Explorer. Open IE > tools > security. Set everything there to default. That should take care of it.

2] the problems with your cd-drive. That seems like a hardware problem. Have that computer guy take a look at it.

yrrol

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 05:32:56 PM »
Hi again!
Back from work. I´ve done the point number (1) but I have not tested if the javascriptfiles works yet.

Point number (2)
I´ve called to the computorshop but the guy is still ill, they expect him to be back tomorrow but they are not sure. I left a message that he must call me.

I noticed when I started up the computor that in the DOS-text it stood:
Boot from Atapi CD-rom - Failure - before the ordinary desk came on the screen. I think both of this problems in the points are coming from the virus, because everything has happend simular as last time when I bought a new disk, and I think I got it from the same site www.autopower.se

yrrol

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 08:00:02 PM »
Iwonder if you are joking with me, cause of your advice about the javascript files, or is it me who are fucked up in the head?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 08:06:14 PM »
Boot from Atapi CD-rom - Failure
That just means the bios didn't find a bootable media in the cd-drive

Iwonder if you are joking with me
If I joke, I do it in the off-topic forum. Not in a serious thread like this.