Author Topic: avast clenaer leaves some folders and keys  (Read 6528 times)

mantra

avast clenaer leaves some folders and keys
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
hi

avast cleaner in safe mode leaves some folders
i delete manually

will be update it?

windows 7

thanks
cheers

ady4um

Re: avast clenaer leaves some folders and keys
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
I guess you are referring to the tool located at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

If you could please report which folders / files / registry keys / other items were left, it would be useful for other users too, and it could help improve the tool.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
What would be more helpful is reporting what was left behind, what version you were uninstalling, etc. etc.

Without that information, how can anyone possible comment, much less fix.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »
Sorry, for this OT:

What would be more helpful is reporting what was left behind, what version you were uninstalling, etc. etc.

@DavidR, is your post *that* different from what I asked? I'd really like to improve my writing skills, and I have the impression that lately I'm not being clear (at all; less clear than usual :) ). I'm just trying to improve.
Thanks.

mantra

cleaner bug should be fixed by alwil team
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »

well i was going to buy avast 6
i used avast 6 free for a while , i uninstalled and i won't buy because i hate the pop ups
nod v5 is tough enough and they don't make such mistakes
avast 6 is the evolution of avast 2 , it's really the state of art and now or yesterday i had the best gui that is not only cosmetic but reassuring , the new pop up with the white button are ugly
useless and very silly

i used total commander to find them , i guess under w7 , they are 2 or 3 folders in the users folder

the regkey i delete manually , but they are i guess 50 main keys

by the way i keep avast dos in 2 floppy i guess and avast 2 10mb , i was a fan of avast when nobody know it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:21:31 PM »
That still doesn't tell is what they were, so we are still in the same boot as before, unable to comment other than to speculate.

Some registry keys will remain and they are Legacy keys, which are under the control of Windows and not avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mantra

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »
That still doesn't tell is what they were, so we are still in the same boot as before, unable to comment other than to speculate.

Some registry keys will remain and they are Legacy keys, which are under the control of Windows and not avast.
yes i got
but i guess i will not install avast again
so i wanted to notify that avast cleaner does not clean every files/ folder and reg keys

maybe the alwil team could fix it or an avast user could report it
installing beta , official and so could be a issue of stability of the antivus

thanks
cheers

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »
There is absolutely no point whatsoever reporting that if you can't say what isn't removed. How can they possibly investigate and fix what they don't know.

DBone

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
I can verify what the OP states. I have uninstalled avast! on an XP x32, Vista x64 and W7 x64, and on all 3 machines, there were files / folders /reg keys left over. I uninstalled avast! via programs and features, rebooted, then rebooted into safe mode, ran the uninstall utility, and rebooted again.

I then searched for avast! and found 3 left over files / folders, then used Auslogics Reg Cleaner and it found about 5-7 avast! keys. I'm sure none of this left over junk is very important, but, it is there. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
I know that there is an empty folder left under program data and sometimes program files still has the avast folder left there but it is also empty, there are always the avast registry keys left under software in HKCU-HKLM\WOw6432Node and HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1876683074-2874930434-696838539-1000\Software.
There are also HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\avastsoundsfile, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\avastlicfile, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\avast, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avastsounds and a few others but can not remember where they were now.
There are also the legacy files in control set incuding 1 and 2 that DavidR mentioned but these have to be removed manually.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
I can verify what the OP states. I have uninstalled avast! on an XP x32, Vista x64 and W7 x64, and on all 3 machines, there were files / folders /reg keys left over. I uninstalled avast! via programs and features, rebooted, then rebooted into safe mode, ran the uninstall utility, and rebooted again.

I then searched for avast! and found 3 left over files / folders, then used Auslogics Reg Cleaner and it found about 5-7 avast! keys. I'm sure none of this left over junk is very important, but, it is there. 

Again verification is great, but it doesn't help with how avast are going to fix if the files/folders and keys left behind aren't reported or known.

Not knowing what reg keys are left behind, no one can say if they are under the control of avast or not.

DBone

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »
Sorry, that's all I've got. Maybe the team can uninstall themselves and then dig into it as it isn't real hard.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56:22 AM »
I also confirm the OP problem reported.

Sorry currently not using avast so can't tell but I have also noticed that with version 6.

Sorry, that's all I've got. Maybe the team can uninstall themselves and then dig into it as it isn't real hard.

Thanks
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 06:02:29 AM »
I remember last time I used the avast cleaner there was stuff left in the Avast Software folder in C:\ProgramData
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:05:34 AM by Coolmario88cp »
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).